Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 34,449 times

Advertisements

My husband has applied for a job in Mobile from Kansas so I am trying to find out what I can if/when we move. We are looking for a nice family neighborhood with a great school rating an 8 or above between Big Creek Lake and the West entrance to the tunnel. I don't know anything sabout the area so you may have a better suggestion for places.

If anyone has any advice on housing I would love it!

Thanks, Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychomper View Post
between Big Creek Lake and the West entrance to the tunnel.
That's a mighty big area with many different styles of living in between lol

There are some other threads on this same subject, but quickly: West Mobile, Springhill, Midtown, or maybe even out by Big Creek (if you want some true country living). If you want top-notch schools - go private. Of course, there are a few good public schools too.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 65,443 times
What kind of area do you want to live in? Do you want small yards, close neighbors or more of an average yard? Older home/newer home? What price range?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM

Default More info

We are looking for an area with at least an acre per yard, single story type ranch, 4+ bedrooms, 2+ baths in the $150-200k range. All is negotiable tho. Did not realize I was looking at such a big area. We definately aren't looking for mansions or gated communities, just good people getting along and taking pride in their homes.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM

8 posts, read 65,443 times
One acre yards in that price range eliminates downtown/midtown. It will probably be outside of the city limits. West Mobile might be a good option and Baker Public school is pretty good.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 AM

32 posts, read 143,863 times
Default Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychomper View Post
My husband has applied for a job in Mobile from Kansas so I am trying to find out what I can if/when we move. We are looking for a nice family neighborhood with a great school rating an 8 or above between Big Creek Lake and the West entrance to the tunnel. I don't know anything sabout the area so you may have a better suggestion for places.

If anyone has any advice on housing I would love it!

Thanks, Shannon

That's great I'm in KS now and I miss Mobile so much. Housing, midtown, and West Mobile around Demotropolis Rd and Woodcliff drive. Try searching for real estate in these zip codes: 36693, 36695, 36609, 36603. University Blvd, Hillcrest, Cottage Hill, all these are near the Bel Air Mall and Sprindale Mall also mainstrip Airport Blvd and University of South Alabama.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:24 PM

247 posts, read 1,109,362 times
In the 150-200K price range AND public schools, you will probably have to look in the Baker schools area(south of Airport, just west of Schillinger Rd.) or Mary G. Montgomery area (north of Airport, just west of Schillinger Rd.)

Considering private school? Then you will need to be a little closer in. Spring Hill has very few houses in this price range. Midtown (around Murphy High School ) has a good bit of homes in the $150-200K range, but they will not have lots of land.

Also, look at the areas across from Heron Lakes Country Club at the older ranch houses there and around Azalea (but just south of Cottage Hill Road) Large beautiful lots and the houses, when they were built, were pretty nicely done. I think this is an area to watch, especially with the new St. Luke's high school recently announced.

Having lived about 6 years ago or so in the Mary G. Montgomery area, I think I would pick Baker. One reason is there is a larger area and it seems to have a better choice of housing, although you have Mcmansions in both areas. The schools, in general, are good.

Whereever you pick out there, DO try to get a good deal but try to stay in the $150K and up range. Some of the neighborhoods that once were nice, no longer are. Things change fast sometimes in even 5 years! Drive around, you will be able to tell what is what! But there are plenty of great families in all of these neighborhoods.

One fabulous little school in the Mary G. Montgomery area is Allentown Elementary. Semmes Middle is not a bad school, but we decided we wanted something different- that led to us ultimately moving to Midtown. Plenty stay there and attend.

The great thing is you can go to Mobile Area Association of Realtors features real estate listings for the entire Alabama Gulf Coast area including Mobile, the Eastern Shore, and Gulf Shores, Alabama. Real Estate property listing data is supplied by the Gulf Coast MLS in Mobile, AL. and look at all houses in your price range all over the city, if you want.

Across the Bay in Daphne, Lake Forest continues to have very low prices but I always wonder about that..... Looks fine, kinda dated area, but maybe there's something wrong.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I heard the problem with Lake Forrest was getting out of there onto the hwy. A lot of the houses were built in the 60s so they are older. I looked at some houses online when I was considering moving there and they looked OK, but may need updating.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks again for all the helpful info from everyone. It gives me a start. How did you all fair from Gustav?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 PM

73 posts, read 254,663 times
We own a house in Lake Forest which has been up for sale, most of Lake Forest is not dated, they (most) have updated in order to sell and keep up with the newer subdivisions, you can get a 3/2 pretty reasonable there, I have never, repeat never had a traffic issue getting in or out of Lake Forest b/c there are 3 ways in and out. I have never had traffice issue on causeway or highway and I worked in Downtown Mobile and on Cottage Hill Rd. I don't know why people who do not live here in Daphne or are familar with Lake Forest put it down it is the only subdivision which is under 300k over here on the Eastern Shore. There are many different styles of homes to choose from there are not cookie cutter and there are many trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area