Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times

Advertisements

First off thanks to all who helped with my questions concerning our first trip to the gulf shores area.

We had a great week last week despite the rain!

We rented a FANTASTIC 3 bed/3full bath house in Heritage shores with a big front porch with GREAT gulf views (2nd row back!)

We ate our big dinner out at the Oyster house and it was very good...Friday night andhte wait wa a bit long but they were VERY organized andthe food came out VERY quick!

Jelly fish... they were pretty bad a on few days...our 8 year old got hit twice...once pretty bad but she's a tropper and was back in the water no soon after. (vinegar and "sting ease" wipes proved to work excellent with bennadryl) The evenings seemed worse BIG ones about 8-10" were washing up like crazy!

Sunday morning the 10th we saw 3 big water spouts off shore...very cool!

Lots of Dolphins swimming very close to shore, almost like clock work at around 11am! (on the non raining mornings!)

The water was pretty clear on Saturday the 9th..then with the rain and storms was murky until Thurs when the gulf settled down...it was beautiful on Friday (our last day)

We found many very small tiny sand dollars (dime size!) and a couple of big cockle shells.

The beach.... white sand is just BEAUTIFUL!

BUT....PEOPLE are pigs! I have never seen so much TRASH on a beach (ok maybe in Galveston) BEER cans and Water bottles and broken beach chairs boggie boards etc...just left on the beach. AND, CIGERETTE butts galore, why don't smokers view thier butts as trash and littering???
The city REALLY needs to have public trash cans avail. I do think if there were big bins people would MAYBE put it in there!
Every morning when i walked the dog I took 2 bags...1 for, well doggie duty and another I would fill up with trash. I was amazed at how people would be sitting in thier chiars right next to discarded trash and not bother to pick it up.
I don't think I made a dent...but I tried. So I will ask everyone else who visits take an empty bag with you on your morning walk and fill it...maybe you will inspire others and make those who watch you feel guilty about you picking up thier trash!!

Anyway it was a very relaxing week and we would definately return!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Great report... I would suggest next time you visit coming a little earlier in the summer to avoid jelly fish as they seem to get worse as the water gets warmer.

Thank you for doing your part in trying to keep the beach clean. It is amazing ppl can't take the time to clean up their own garbage, I guess they figure someone else will do it for them, just like Momma did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area