Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I just found out about Fairhope and it sounds absolutely charming. I was wondering if anyone could give me information about a couple of things and any other general information about living there. I work from home for myself so commuting is not a problem.

1. What are house prices like, maybe for a cottage?
2. Are all areas safe?
3. Are outsiders accepted?
4. Would it be a good place for a late 40's single woman?
5. Is it considered the bible belt and is the are open to metaphysics and new age spirituality and alternative healing?
6. Is it an easy place to make friends?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 10-07-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Doesn't anybody out there know anything about Fairhope?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
First, search the threads on this particular forum for Fairhope info. There are a good many.
Then...ask your questions.
There isn't a huge number of people posting on this forum. It may take a few days for some responses.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks, I already did the search and read the comments.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Sorry, I don't believe we have anyone who frequents CD who actually lives in Fairhope. IIRC there is one member who use to live there.

I don't live in Fairhope but I do know it is a nice town and safe. I think prices are high in the main part of town but you may not. Many are only a few blocks from the bay.

From what I have seen around Fairhope new ppl are accepted. I would not consider it a 'bible belt' but whether or not 'new age' would be accepted I don't know. However, there are ppl/tourist who come to Fairhope to visit the stores in town as there are lots of antique and other shops.

You can check here for ages of residents and housing costs.
//www.city-data.com/city/Fairhope-Alabama.html

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks Keeper, do you live in Mobile? I am also considering there too...I will try to come out in March. I currently live in AZ but Mobile certainly sounds like a wonderful place.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,891 times
Hello,
I live in Fairhope, and love it! We moved down here from Atlanta 5+ years ago. Houses in subdivisions a couple of miles from downtown are a lot more reasonable, specially now. Intown can be expensive as it is very chic and charming...It is fairly friendly, many people from all areas are moving this way. Taxes are low..just got my tax bill, $1690 and house is over $500,000.
It is a very artsy town, lots of festivals, concerts, but little nightlife. It is very safe...with few exceptions...petty crime, zero murders so far. In Mobile, that is a different story. Check the stats. There is a young free thinker crowd, blending with the older Fairhopians...and it seems to work.
In mid March they have a great Art Festival...really worthwhile, and weather is great that time of the year.Being next to Mobile Bay, there is a lot of shrimping and fishing off the Pier...that doubles as the town square. It as nice parks and sidewalks for strolling. The sunsets are spectacular!
Prices of homes have gotten back to normal, as they had gone crazy for a while. There are affordable new 4 sides brick homes, about 2000 sq ft, for less than $200,000, in nice areas. Many between $200-and $250, with granite kitchens, 2 car garage, ect. I just saw some today, BTW....so it's fresh on my mind.
Come on down and check it out!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks os much for your information!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Great info Humacaena.. I love Fairhope too. My mother and grandmother both lived in Fairhope for years.

Adventuregurl.. Mobile is much bigger and crime is higher. There are a few areas that are not bad like Midtown an older section of town. It is beautiful especially the older sections with huge oak trees with old stately homes.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Perhaps I can offer a perspective on Fairhope like no other. I recently completed a large project in Mobile. My boss called me up one day and said he was renting me either an apartment complex style apartment in Mobile or the top floor of an old bay house in Fairhope. I asked for the Fairhope apartment and he got it. I had never been to Fairhope, and had only passed through the area one other time. Life in Fairhope was much nicer than I expected. As an outsider I never met a stranger. It sure seemed safe to me... the police have a heavy presense. Between eating $0.25 oysters at Randy's or $1 drafts at Wentzells... the place is awesome. I seriously thought of moving there permanantly. I think, for a small town, it has most of what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area