Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 AM

28 posts, read 87,139 times

Advertisements

I am considering to move to Mobile area due to job change. I will work Satsuma area, and became interested in Spanish Fort after reading this forum.
I've got an impression that commuting could be an issue. I would like to have comparative view of high schools at SF and Satsuma area. Although I could check out some info, could anyone provide little more detail?

1. In the morning (around 7 am), how long it's gonna take from Spanish Fort to Satsuma? How about afterrnoon (around 4 pm)?

2. Were there any cases of bridge closing due to hurricanes?

3. What could be differences between high schools?

4. Any other comparison between Spanish Fort and Satsuma would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
It's not worth it in my opinion. The commute time would depend on several factors. Is there a wreck ahead? Is there fog on the bay way? Has the tunnel bottlenecked? There's an alternate route which takes you over the bridge near the docks, but it also goes through some sleezy areas.

The schools in Satsuma and Saraland are new and supposed to be pretty good. You can also find just as nice a home in Satsuma as you can in Spanish Fort.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
It really depends on where in Satsuma and where in Spanish Fort. If your work and home are both right by the highways, then the commute would not be ideal, but doable. Probably speaking of 45 minutes or so. But if you are working and/or living in areas that are not right by the highway, then a commute of about an hour long is a good possibility.

As for schools, both Satsuma and Spanish Fort will have decent systems. It's then just a choice of which "setting" you want. Do you want to be surrounded by "country" or "yuppie/country"?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Spanish Fort might not be a best option for me.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
You asked about the bridges in a hurricane.. Yes they are closed and in the past there has been damage to one part due to a hurricane.

Hurricane Ivan

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Thank you, guys. Anyone could compare high school systems in both area?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM

242 posts, read 974,567 times
I think it is doable, but after a while you'll begin to wonder why on earth you chose to live in Spanish Fort. Why have a long commute if you dont have to? Think of gas prices, we have no idea where they are going. If they go back up, you're gonna wish you chose to live close to Satsuma! My husband drives an hour to work and hates it. When gas was over $3 it was a KILLER!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 AM

242 posts, read 974,567 times
Oh there is a public school comparison website. I think you can just do a search for public school and it should come up. If you can't find it, send me a private message and I will locate it for you. I have it saved somewhere!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 29,093 times
Saraland /Satsuma is a wonderful area. Schools are good and depending on price range great subdivisions or Vaughans,Ryan Oaks,Twin Lakes and it is also very close to the new ThyssenKrupp Steel Mill.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-01-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area