Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

They other places along the coast! I'm sure there's room! To me, I think that if they are going to build a huge number of condo towers, they need to look at Big Lagoon and the Intracoastal Waterway so that they can build boardwalks and other entertainment venues on the beach! When I llok at the real estate books, they show a lot of land of land along that beach road corridor on the opposite of the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 AM

272 posts, read 960,401 times
They would have to extend the Foley Beach Expressway first or it won't work. Also building a lot of amusements in a high risk hurricane zone, doesn,t make good business sense. cost to build expensive, high dollar insurance etc. gets passed off in high prices for visitors, more roads equals more taxes for property owners. Enjoy the parks, the beaches, fishing etc. If you need a blast of entertainment then go to Disney World.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
I don't need a blast of entertainment. For the record, I've been to Disney World several times. What I'm saying is because the coast is Alabama's tourist destination, I think that the coast can stand a nice popular inexpensive park to boost more tourism!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:13 AM

I agree, just not in the beach area in the middle of a high risk hurricane zone where you don't have enough roads in place to support the extra traffic. Now with all the land up around central and northern Baldwin Co. near I10 or I65 that is possible. That would boost the tourism for the area, but wouldn't be as risky as puttig something that close to the water.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7spider View Post
I agree, just not in the beach area in the middle of a high risk hurricane zone where you don't have enough roads in place to support the extra traffic. Now with all the land up around central and northern Baldwin Co. near I10 or I65 that is possible. That would boost the tourism for the area, but wouldn't be as risky as puttig something that close to the water.

I agree something that is around the bay area !

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM

242 posts, read 974,210 times
I think something up off of the coast would be best. There is lots of land around I-10. It needs to be close to I-10. Anything big like that just would make traffic down to the beach in Spring Break/Summer, even worse. Locals don't use the express because it costs a fortune. The beach express STILL hasn't begun the extension to I-10. Until that's done, the traffic on 59 is just gonna suck going to the beach. You also have to keep in mind, alot of the "open land" down by the beach is protected land and wont be built on.

We do have Waterville and it seems to do well. I don't see how something else could come in without fighting for the business of Waterville and vice versa.

there aso used to be a much larger water park near mobile. It was closed many years ago.

Maybe in 5-10 the area can handle an amusment park, but not now or anytime in the near future.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
If they are going to put it on I-10 which I do agree with you they will need to widen I-10 (Baldwin County)to 3 to 4 lanes it alredy needs widening now without the amusemnt park !!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM

I think the state of Alabama has been very smart to protect a lot of the costal areas. It's ok to grow and build things, but taking the time to carefully plan things is the key. There are so many places that build things without proper planning and thoughts of the future and they wind up regretting a lot of things. Alabama is a nice costal area and will stay that way and only get better if you take your time, do it right and learn from others mistakes.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM

652 posts, read 1,784,687 times
I haven't been here in this forum in a few days. I read the other day a point I think is valid and too often is missed or deliberately ignored when questions of development and jobs come up anywhere in America. That is infrastructure, highways, roads, and parking in a small geographical area that is currently very pleasant. I cannot think of very many examples of development taking place and not ruining this quality of the place that made the idea seem good.
I agree with the Jersy reference having grown up there. We parked as close to the beach as possible (very expensive to us) and never went into "town" as those places were run down and very neglected. Having lived in the SF Bay Area I am a strong proponent of underground parking. It makes density easier and more visually palatable. I hate huge parkinglots or structures they are just so ugly!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM

I agree, that's why I think the amusement type attractions shold be away from the beach a bit where there is plenty of open land. Try to preserve what's left of the beach area so other generations in the future can enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area