Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 AM

272 posts, read 956,340 times

Advertisements

Can't wait !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM

247 posts, read 1,105,515 times
Fairhope!
We have a lot of relatives who live in the surrounding areas of Atlanta... they are all trying to move to Fairhope! LOL! One lives in a nice golf community in Woodstock; another lives in that old section ( not Buckhead)- Decatur?

Last edited by downtowndoll; 03-30-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: wrong town

Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 AM

4,984 posts, read 9,055,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtowndoll View Post
Fairhope!
We have a lot of relatives who live in the surrounding areas of Atlanta... they are all trying to move to Fairhope! LOL! One lives in a nice golf community in Woodstock; another lives in that old section ( not Buckhead)- Decatur?

convince them to move to Mobile DTdoll !!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,249,048 times
LDunn1001,
Have you ever been to Fairhope? It occurred to me that you might not know much about this town, so please feel free to ask any of us that either live here or in the surrounding towns. We'd be glad to make more suggestions. It is not easy to move, believe me. I have lived in quite a few states and cities, but spent most of my life in Atlanta. I miss friends and restaurants, and that's about all I miss.

Example of life in Fairhope. Faulkner State has Friday brown bag concerts from April 10 until May 29. They are free....and in a quite charming campus. Thr Baldwin pops has (also free) concerts on the Bluff overlooking Mobile Bay(first one of the year this Sunday, 4/26). Families gather, bring picnic items and just enjoy the fabulous sunset listening to the music. Just a few of the niceties of living in a small town.
Come on down and check out this lovely town.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 26,164 times
Default Fairhope more of a tourist town?

We visited Fairhope last year to scope it out as a place to move, but thought it seemed more like Carmel, CA, with it's boutiques, upscale restaurants, etc. - a nice place to visit for a weekend but not a realistic place to live day-to-day. Were we mistaken? (We did, however, really like Mobile...seemed more liveable.)

Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 PM

272 posts, read 956,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjckco View Post
We visited Fairhope last year to scope it out as a place to move, but thought it seemed more like Carmel, CA, with it's boutiques, upscale restaurants, etc. - a nice place to visit for a weekend but not a realistic place to live day-to-day. Were we mistaken? (We did, however, really like Mobile...seemed more liveable.)
I think you're right about Fairhope. Nice town for a visit, but kind of on the snobbish side. However there are many other towns near there that are very nice, like Daphne, Spanish Fort, Loxley, Silverhill or Robertsdale. Fairhope's cool for little day trips, but I'll let the pristine, " I'm better than you are folks" have it, the citizens also seem to whine a lot about just about everything.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM

I feel that both of you are mistaken. Fairhope is not only the boutiques and flowers. It is the people that make the town. There are thousands who do not live intown and still live in Fairhope. There are many subdivisions a few miles out...close enough to participate in downtown activities, Churches, art center, pier...ect, and yet affordable. Also the safety of the Fairhope area is to be considered.
Some of you prefer the smaller towns, but believe me, I feel much safer intown Fairhope than ot there. There are more breakins in desolate areas...ck the stats. There is also a lot more crime in Mobile, again, pls ck the murders so far this year.
Snobbish? It depends. There are many of us from other places in the country that have "invaded" the town...and one of the things that impressed me the most is when we first moved here, people would say..."welcome to Fairhope" when they knew we were new. I have lived in several states and cities, and NO one ever welcomed me. LOL!!!
It is a very liveable town...believe me. Much more than you might think. It is not all fairy tale, Carmel, as percieved. It also has real people with real problems...just less traffic, less crime, and people of all backgrounds and pocketbooks. Don't be so quick to judge unless you spend real time here. Almost 6 years later, I still feel welcome.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM

By the way, my friends who live in Loxley, in 10 acres farms(2 couples), have alarms on in their homes, and one of them got their horse barn broken into...and lots of items stolen. I live intown Fairhope, and seldom lock the door, neither do many of our neighbors. It depends what you want...home is where you chose and feel comfortable with.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,474,420 times
HA!! I'd choose Atlanta over Fairhope anyday (then again, that is biased because I live in the city).

Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,751,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
HA!! I'd choose Atlanta over Fairhope anyday (then again, that is biased because I live in the city).
I could live either life personally - big city or small bay town. Both have their upsides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area