Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM

272 posts, read 960,753 times

Advertisements

No place is perfect good and not so good in all areas, all depends on personal preferance and basically what you can afford. I'm not saying all the people or even most of the people in downtown Fairhope are snobs, but there is a percentage that are a little high and mighty. I'm like " If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you" if not well then the native New Yorker comes out, but honestly I'd just rather go fishing and smile at everyone. Cheers !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Of course there will be more crime in Mobile the city has more people than your county. Mobile is not a crime infested place ,you spoke of robberies in Loxly well we have never had our house broken into over here in Mobile. It`s common knowledge to know that a city with 200,000 will have more crime than a city with 12,000. This might sound silly but yet logical I truely believe I can leave my door unlocked in Mobile aslo with out a break in. Robbers normaly plan there robbories they don`t go around twisting door knobs. I would never leave my door unlocked no matter what city i`m in if it`s in a city of 3 k, 12 k, or 200 k it`s not a wise move to me at all. I hear and read of several high income communities being victims of multiple murders and they usualy don`t use the door my friend.

Last edited by PortCity; 04-24-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Of course there will be more crime in Mobile the city has more people than your county. Mobile is not a crime infested place ,you spoke of robberies in Loxly well we have never had our house broken into over here in Mobile. It`s common knowledge to know that a city with 200,000 will have more crime than a city with 12,000. This might sound silly but yet logical I truely believe I can leave my door unlocked in Mobile aslo with out a break in. Robbers normaly plan there robbories they don`t go around twisting door knobs. I would never leave my door unlocked no matter what city i`m in if it`s in a city of 3 k, 12 k, or 200 k it`s not a wise move to me at all. I hear and read of several high income communities being victims of multiple murders and they usualy don`t use the door my friend.
Very true, things happen no matter where you live. The one thing about it is no matter wher you get robbed or assaulted it sucks just the same. Best thing is to expect the unexpected and keep your guard up, but don't live your life in fear.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,637 times
7 Spider, my husband loves to fish, and another plus for us was the proximity to the Pier. He throws a net, and fishes out of there and the adjacent areas. He also uses his boat occasionally, but prefers the Pier. There is a "brotherhood" with these guys, so not only they fish, but they also are buddies, call each other when there are jubilees, and even share the catch.

There will be a shrimp boil next month downtown Fairhope for benefit of one of the barbers who has cancer. They also do memorials for those Pier buddies who pass away...benches on the park, ect. These are the real people of Fairhope. The Rotary Club has a steak cookout next month, and money goes to charities. Dancing in the Streets, benefits FEEF, and is put on by Page and Palatte. Even in these hard financial times, people come out and help. Friends of the Library also a very active group. Concerts on the Bluff bring lots of people with picnics...free. Concerts on Fridays at Faulkner campus...free. This is the real Fairhope.

The snobs will be snobs anywhere they are...but really these are fewer than one thinks. Yes, there is a lot of very wealthy people here...some snobs, and some as nice as you can imagine. I've met quite a few of all, but again, back in Atlanta I knew of many snobs, but never gave them a chance to be in my life. I deal only with the real people...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,637 times
Port City, FYI, Fairhope now has exceeded 16,000. And yes, logical to have more crime in Mobile as it is larger in population. I come from an island of 4 million people, where there are 800 or more murders a year...and lots of robberies, carjackings, ect. All homes have iron bars on windows and doors, and still they break in. I have not visited my island in 20 years, and plan never to go back. Crime is crime, and people in Puerto Rico always had an excuse for their incidents...and now it is a crime infested beautiful island.
Mobilians need not to make excuses, as every night there is cases of murder, carjacking, home invasions, purse snatching at the mall, ect. Crime has no excuse, as if you do, it will escalate.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Crime in Mobile is very localized to certain areas. I would not think twice about crime if I am not living in those areas.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Most of the crime in Mobile just as it is in every city usually is over drugs. I grew up in the "Bottom" which is near Orange Grove housing projects. The problems that were in my community were from drugs and it was usually from people who were not from my community. There was a white male from Mississippi in his mid 40`s was a victim in my neighborhood 10 years ago he was a problem and he caused problems but he wasn`t from my community. We never experinced break ins or robberies in our neighbo hood just some of the little problems were because of drugs . There is not a murder,car jacking or purse snatching in Mobile every day that is a little far fetched.

Just as Oscottscotto mentioned in the previous post crime is only in isolated areas just as it will be in any other city.My family now reside in Semmes ,and I live off of Grelot which is in the city and we have no problems. There are drug users in every city ,town , rich or poor community they are evry where and I guarntee you that the drug users in Fairhope travel to Mobile in these little isolated crime areas and purchase drugs which adds on to the problem.

Mobile is a wonderful city to live in and it is not crime infested I lived in a rough neighborhood but never was a victim because I wasn`t a drug dealer or user I stayed in school went to college and now working on my masters in Nursing.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Most of the crime in Mobile just as it is in every city usually is over drugs. I grew up in the "Bottom" which is near Orange Grove housing projects. The problems that were in my community were from drugs and it was usually from people who were not from my community. There was a white male from Mississippi in his mid 40`s was a victim in my neighborhood 10 years ago he was a problem and he caused problems but he wasn`t from my community. We never experinced break ins or robberies in our neighbo hood just some of the little problems were because of drugs . There is not a murder,car jacking or purse snatching in Mobile every day that is a little far fetched.

Just as Oscottscotto mentioned in the previous post crime is only in isolated areas just as it will be in any other city.My family now reside in Semmes ,and I live off of Grelot which is in the city and we have no problems. There are drug users in every city ,town , rich or poor community they are evry where and I guarntee you that the drug users in Fairhope travel to Mobile in these little isolated crime areas and purchase drugs which adds on to the problem.

Mobile is a wonderful city to live in and it is not crime infested I lived in a rough neighborhood but never was a victim because I wasn`t a drug dealer or user I stayed in school went to college and now working on my masters in Nursing.
You're right, drugs are usually involved in most crimes and it is everywhere, just some areas more than others. Also true if you're not involved with drugs you shouldn't have too many problems , no matter where you are, just keep your eyes and ears open.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Take a look at todays paper, 4 people shot, 3 killed in Fairhope last night. That is just an example of crime and violence is everywhere. It's a sick world and that sickness is everywhere so be smart and watch yourself wherever you are.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
I am a native of Fairhope, Al. but now live in Rome, Ga. My vote would be for Fairhope. There is so many activities and areas of interest for you and your family to enjoy and experience. And they all are within a short distance. While I love my Rome, Ga area and friends, it seems like such a drive to enjoy all the Atlanta area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area