Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

I have recently been offered a job in downtown Mobile. I currently live in Colorado and I am trying to decide whether or not to accept the offer.I apologize for the numerous questions ; I have never visited Alabama. Some of my concerns include: The amount of rain, hurricanes bugs,racism,religion, heat and humidity,schools,and good areas to raise a family.

If any of you have visited the Denver area how do you think Mobile compares to it?

Rain: Mobile, Alabama comes up as the wettest city in the lower 48 states. Do the rain storms hang over the city or move on quickly and let the sun shine?

Hurricanes: If you live 16 miles in-land how much of an impact are the hurricanes and how often is the city majorly affected annually?

Bugs: Is there a large population of bugs in the Mobile area? Also, what is recommended to keep bugs out of the house?

Racism:We are caucasian and recently adopted an African American/caucasian baby. How will she be accepted by both races down there along with ourselves, as the parents of a mixed baby?

Religion: I was wondering if you will feel totally out of place being a Catholic?

Heat and Humidity: Are we going to die?

Schools: On the internet we are finding some public schools with high ratings. Would you recommend living in those areas (West Mobile is one)?

Good areas to raise a family: We need input on the west and east Mobile bay area's as to which would be a good location to raise a family. Also, is there some sort of ferry that goes from Baldwin county to Downtown Mobile?

Now that we sound sufficiently stupid, we would like to thank you in advance for your input and help.

Thank you,
Matt

Last edited by Matt H.; 06-08-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 AM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
I'm not really familiar with Denver. Furthest I've ever been is Texas, but Alabama's pretty good at times. Overall cost of living is cheap, and residents are pretty diverse. What kind of job are you going to be doing?

1. Depends. It doesn't rain THAT much, but how much it rains varies year by year. One year, we had a record drought while the next, we had a record average. But on average, it doesn't rain that much.

2. I'm not really sure on the hurricane part as I am formally from Central Alabama, but my guess is that sometimes Mobile is affected whenever there's a major hurricane. My advice is to do a little research on this part.

3. You're going to find bugs no matter where you are, but usually, good common sense is all you need to keep bugs away. Don't keep anything in your yard that retains water as usually that's where majority of them come. And try to keep your doors closed as well(sounds lame, but it helps). And just don't leave food around and stuff.

4. Not necessary. I mean, you have some people who can be a bit "stereotypical" but your daughter will fit in just fine.

5. -_- Forgive me, but that's kind of silly. Average temp. in the hottest days varies, but is usually in the mid 80s to low 90s. It does get cold, but certainly not as cold as denver. You'll get used to the weather soon(it DOES changes at times though...)

6. YES! Alabama does have some good school systems, so yeah. I'm not too familiar with Mobile school systems though.

Some of the users around here can give you more detailed info about Mobile.

But good luck though.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Rain: Mobile is on the Gulf Coast so during certain months like March and April rain storms come almost daily. Gulf Coast storms are more dramitic than inland such heavier thunder and they usually move on rather quickly.

Hurricans: The farther west you live the less likely you will experience flooding.Downtown is at sea level and West Mobile is noticably at a higher elevation. Usually category 3 hurricans are the evacuation type hurricanes. I`ve been living in Mobile for 24 years and have never had to evacuate, and we rarely have a direct hit.

Bugs: The most you would have to worry about would be misquitos, all you need is some OFF Spray and your good to go. For your houshold maybe spiders I assume so just keep a bug exterminator on hand for the spiders. Even spiders aren`t really a problem.

Racism: I have vistited/have relatives in many places that are origanally from Mobile. Places such as New York,Detroit,Atlanta,Tamnpa, etc and racism / ignorance is everywhere you go. Alabama is no longer in the civil war/rights era your family will be accepted. I`m a 24 year old African American male and I have never experienced any civil rights era racism in Alabama.

Heat and Humidty: Well the humidity is something you will have to get use to. Of course you know that humidity enhances heat. E.G : If the local news station says todays temperature will be 92 degrees with a heat index of 110. That means the tempature is really 92 dgrees but with 80 -100 % humidity it feels like 110 degrees. I hear/read of more heat stroke related deaths in northern states than the south.

Schools : Midtown and West Mobile schools are better.

Both sides of the bay are good areas to raise a family. West Mobile and areas of Midtown would be great. There are no ferries right now it will be coming soon , but there are shuttle/transit rides from Baldwin County to downtown Mobile, the transit sytem is called BRATS .

Additions: We have sub tropical weather so we really have about 2 months of winter , last time it snowed in Mobile I was 11 years old and i`m 24 now. We are very close to the beach could be a weekend or weekday trip anytime. Mobile is the original home of the first Mardi Gra in the Americas we had it over 60 years before our cousin New Orleans became a city. Mobile is very rich in culture and history with French,Spanish,British,African,and Creole influences. Since we are on the French Gulf Coast we have great food as well, sea/Creole food is the main cuisine in the Mobile area or the Gulf Coast region period.

Come down and visit before you make a final decision and good luck to you.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
If any of you have visited the Denver area how do you think Mobile compares to it?
Denver is alot larger and has alot more to do. Don't take that as a knock on Mobile. Mobile is great in its own way, but it surely is not anywhere on the same scale as Denver or other comparable metros.

Quote:
Rain: Mobile, Alabama comes up as the wettest city in the lower 48 states. Do the rain storms hang over the city or move on quickly and let the sun shine?
Mobile is the rainiest city in the nation, but do not get it confused with Seattle or anything. It's not a dreary place, as sunshine still dominates the area. There are just major thunderstorms that move through, followed by sunshine again. Don't forget hurricanes contribute too.

Quote:
Hurricanes: If you live 16 miles in-land how much of an impact are the hurricanes and how often is the city majorly affected annually?
It will be affected by 2 or 3 hurricanes a year. Now majorly affected? That is random from year to year. 16 miles inland and you will be fine either way.

Quote:
Bugs: Is there a large population of bugs in the Mobile area? Also, what is recommended to keep bugs out of the house?
No more than in any other southern area. Bugs are not bad, IMO. Of course, I have never lived in an extremely rural part. I lived in the city of Mobile.

Quote:
Racism:We are caucasian and recently adopted an African American/caucasian baby. How will she be accepted by both races down there along with ourselves, as the parents of a mixed baby?
To be honest, you might have issues even though Mobile is half white and half black. Most people have evolved beyond overt racism, but you will definitely find more of it in Mobile than in Denver.

Quote:
Religion: I was wondering if you will feel totally out of place being a Catholic?
No. Many catholics in Mobile.

Quote:
You will not die, but coming from Denver you will think you live underwater in regards to humidity.

Quote:
Schools: On the internet we are finding some public schools with high ratings. Would you recommend living in those areas (West Mobile is one)?
West Mobile schools are fine and I would live in West Mobile with the following borders (Old Shell to the North, I-65 to the east, Dawes to the west, and Government Blvd/Hwy 90 to the south).

Quote:
Good areas to raise a family: We need input on the west and east Mobile bay area's as to which would be a good location to raise a family?
Midtown Mobile, West Mobile, Daphne, Spanish Fort

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Actually Matt H ...

If you take the job, I would highly recommend sending your kid to the local catholic high school named McGill-Toolen (if high school age). It is a great school and it is located near downtown. If younger, there are many great catholic feeder schools (elementary/middle) located in midtown.

I would then move to either midtown or off Cottage Hill Rd. (south of it) between Azalea and University. Many catholics reside in the second area mentioned.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Religion: As a majority Mobile is Catholic.I believe there are more catholics in Mobile than the whole state combined.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
We have what's called "pop up thunderstorms" during spring and summer, this is caused by heat pulling moisture up from the gulf. You'll notice many times that the weather will be perfectly fine until the middle of the day when it gets hot, and then out of nowhere will come a thunder boomer. It won't last long and before you know it the sun is back out, however this can get annoying of you have an outdoor event planned.

Quote:
Maybe. I won't lie, it gets muggy down here. You'll run the a/c from late April to November, and sometimes in the winter too. A car with a working a/c is a necessity, unless you want to be soaked in sweat by the time you reach your destination.

Quote:
Mosquitoes are the biggest problem, but someone already mentioned, you should use OFF! if they start biting you. They lay eggs in still water, so make sure there are no buckets of rain water outside.

Sugar ants are sometimes another big problem. They love sweet foods, so make sure foods that contain sugar are well sealed. They also sometimes get into greasy foods too. I have had ants infest a whole 50lb bag of dogfood before, so if you have a dog or cat keep it's food in a sealed container.

As for inside bugs like roaches, just keep a clean house and don't leave food out and they shouldn't be a problem either.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM

272 posts, read 960,401 times
Just like any place else, there's a few unpleasentries, but like others have said you get used to how to deal with it. On the bright side at least you won't have to deal with blizzard or icy conditions.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
Yeah, best thing to do is travel down to Mobile and check it out. I've only been to Mobile once, but it was awesome.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 16,987 times
You should seriously consider living in Baldwin County (Daphne, Fairhope, Spanish Fort, etc.). The quality of life seems to be better (better schools, cleaner communities, higher income levels, etc.). I live in Mobile and am seriously considering a move. Not too much culture, nor is there much for kids to do. You will find strong Catholic communities in both Mobile and Baldwin Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area