Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

I appreciate your explanations on the incentive part of the pay system, it truly helps to have comments from recent hires on here. At 16% that is not too bad given the current state of the installation/startup. Is some of the equipment in actual operation yet, or still just in check-out phase? If 6% of possible 10% is based on productivity, just curious as to how that component is being calculated right now prior to full production. As to the shift schedule; is it going to be 4 day shifts, 4 off, 4 night shifts, 4 off??? The reason I asked is my last 12 hr. shift job was 2 days (6a to 6p), 2 nights (6p to 6a), then 4 off. Again thanks for sharing from a recently hired point of view!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 PM

84 posts, read 262,238 times
Also Mike, is that 20% multiplied by the $17.68? If so, then 16% would yield $2.83 for an hourly total of $20.51. Do I have the variable pay understood correctly?

Second: I read that the stainless mill might be delayed for as much as an additional two years. What's the scoop on that and is that real?

Thank you!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM

29 posts, read 167,091 times
Thanks Mike. How long did you wait from your last interview to your hire date?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Mike, scratch the last post, I see where it was about 3 months.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM

21 posts, read 75,960 times
Yeah, how do you edit a post? I just noticed I spelled mechanical wrong on an previous post.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 55,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliant View Post
If 6% of possible 10% is based on productivity, just curious as to how that component is being calculated right now prior to full production. As to the shift schedule; is it going to be 4 day shifts, 4 off, 4 night shifts, 4 off??? The reason I asked is my last 12 hr. shift job was 2 days (6a to 6p), 2 nights (6p to 6a), then 4 off. Again thanks for sharing from a recently hired point of view!!!
It's 4 day shifts, 4 days off, 4 night shifts, 4 days off.

I'm not sure how they are coming up with the actual 6% figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott Weil View Post
Also Mike, is that 20% multiplied by the $17.68? If so, then 16% would yield $2.83 for an hourly total of $20.51. Do I have the variable pay understood correctly?

Second: I read that the stainless mill might be delayed for as much as an additional two years. What's the scoop on that and is that real?

Thank you!
Yes the 20% is calculated on your base pay. Overtime hours do not apply. The way I understand it is that it will be calculated on your base hourly wage at 40 hours per week. This may change when we go into production. We where told that there are going to be some pay plan changes made in January.

We are being told that Stainless is about 1 year behind Carbon start up. The cold mill should start running coils in late spring and the hot mill will start up a few months after that. I've heard we will be in full production as late as August. TK has ordered coils to run through the cold mill before hot mill is running. I've heard as little as 80 coils and as much as 800.

This is such a huge project it's hard to imagine. You can't really get an idea of how big it is without seeing it. Its very impressive to see. It looks like a city with thousands of people working all the time. It's truley amazing. It can be frustrating at times though. You get lots of conflicting information because there are so many people involved. Also there are times when you are not doing much but sitting around waiting on other people. It's very exciting though, to be a part of something this big.

I wish all of you who applied good luck. They are hiring a lot more people so be patiant. I've heard that they are going to hire another large group in January. It seems like some of the people I know are getting through the AIDT training process quicker than I did. It seems like a sign that they are about to ramp up hiring. Hang in there. They still need hundreds if not thousands of employees.

Mike

Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Default Thank you!

Mike, I wanted to be the first to step up and say, "Thank you" for providing the information many have been wanting. If you'll provide your contact information in some way (cell, text, email), then the next time I'm in Mobile, I'm buying you a pint or two of the beer of your choosing.

Rott Weil
Can receive text messages at: 734-787-0674

Old 11-26-2009, 05:53 AM

Hiring a large group in January makes sense, from a company perspective.
  • Blue Cross, CVS, and other benefits are usually paid on the first of each month. If an employee is hired on the 25th, then an unused 25 days worth of insurance may have to be paid for. In the benefits area, I don't think they pro-rate.
  • Often, vacation time is calculated by how many years of employment a person has 'as of an effective date', such as January 1st. In my last job, I was hired on January 2nd, so I didn't get the extra week of vacation at the end of my second year. I had to wait two years and 364 days.
  • New years and new quarters usually mean new budgets.
  • Hiring in January would allow several months for people to train in Germany before the mill actually starts up in March without the expense of having untrained employees hanging around an unfinished mill.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 55,706 times
Hey Rott,
No problem. Just wanted to say something on the vacation comment. Every employee starts with 2 weeks vacation prorated depending on hire date. I got 2 days when I started on oct 5. Everyone will have 2 weeks on January 1st. It's a pretty good deal. You will get 3 weeks after a few years. I can't remember exactly how many right now. I'll look it up later, but 3 weeks is max.

Since my schedule is made out for the year I can schedule my vacation for my scheduled work weeks between my weeks off and could potentially have a month off with with normal pay. Thats if I choose to do it this way.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Mike

Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM

Mike, Let me second Rott's thanks to you. This is some of the best information I've seen to date. Rott, your analysis of the justifications for hiring in January is both spot-on and inspiring in that it gives some logical reasons for hope.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area