Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 55,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott Weil View Post
Mike: Who's David Quaka and do you know many people at Severstal? Severstal has 5 mills in North America, but I believe 4 are idled and the original one (Dearborn, MI) is trying to get their personnel count below 1,000. They started with 2,190 a few years ago and were down to 1,250 in September. I found it interesting that they were still laying off while ThyssenKrupp was actively hiring.
David is one of our supervisors in the roll shop. I don't know anyone from Severstal except him. I'm not even sure what he did there.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 26,062 times
OK in the spirit of paying it forward mentioned by akjnm previously, thought I would share some of my interview questions/discussion topics from my panel interview this week. All of the questions mentioned above were asked in my 2nd interview, and each person's background will dictate more discussion in their areas of expertise. For me (non-steel background), a lot of questions were raised about safety and quality, as well as DCS computer touch screen operation, crane/hoist and lift truck operation/maintenance, etc. Some questions that stuck with me that could apply to anyone were:

Give an example of a Safety Improvement idea that you brought up to management and what was the outcome?

What experience do you have in developing Safe Work Practices and/or SOPs? What is the worst work place accident you were ever involved in, either as a witness or an investigator?

Give an example of how you dealt with a Quality issue that had potential impact for a major customer?

What experience do you have running in-process quality testing, i.e. tensiles? How do you identify with your customer during your daily work?

What should we know that sets you apart from the other 200 candidates that we will interview? Specifically, why should we hire YOU?

At the end of their questioning, you have the opportunity to ask them specific questions about the organization, work environment, etc. Basically anything except HR hiring/staffing questions. You do get a chance to talk with the HR rep afterwards, one to one, to ask those type of questions.

I strongly suggest that you have some well thought out questions for the panel to indicate that you still WANT to be hired.

The first question I asked was which "side" am I being interviewed for? The answer again (same as during first interview) was Carbon side. BTW the gentleman mentioned above, in charge of the roll shop, David Quaka -- was part of the panel -- seems like a nice guy. The area reps from Hot Strip and Cold Roll seemed to ask the majority of the questions though.

The HR rep Steve indicated that it could be as early as January or as late as June 2010 before I heard anything. Best of luck to everybody, hope this helps y'all a little bit...

Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 34,043 times
Reliant, Thank you very much. I'm less than a week away from my panel interview and your comments as well as everyone else's sure helps me and everyone going through this process by reducing the anxiety of not knowing what to expect next. I'll hold to my word and post my panel interview experience next week.
Just one more question, as we seem to have more questions when we have more information. I'm familiar with computer touch screen operation but I'm drawing a blank on specifically the letters DCS? Again, thank you.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 PM

29 posts, read 71,948 times
akjnm,

Best of luck on the panel interview. BTW, DCS is short for Distributed Control System.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 71,948 times
I was just looking at the ThyssenKrupp website and can't help but envying TK applicants that have previous steel-making experience. Looks to me - according to what is on-line below - to be a requirement - or at least it is now.

"Production Operators and Maintenance Requirements:
  • Steel experience required
  • Candidates can earn up to $30/hour in total compensation
  • Electrical maintenance experience highly preferred "
Does anyone know of anyone getting hired as an operator who does not have steelmaking experience?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM

323 posts, read 1,159,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
I was just looking at the ThyssenKrupp website and can't help but envying TK applicants that have previous steel-making experience. Looks to me - according to what is on-line below - to be a requirement - or at least it is now.

"Production Operators and Maintenance Requirements:
  • Steel experience required
  • Candidates can earn up to $30/hour in total compensation
  • Electrical maintenance experience highly preferred "
Does anyone know of anyone getting hired as an operator who does not have steelmaking experience?
I know a friend that had no steel exp. hired for maintenance. He has machine building and auto parts manufacturing exp.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 AM

12 posts, read 34,043 times
Mosby, Thanks for spelling out DCS for me, at least I won't look like a deer staring at headlights when they ask. As for worrying about steel experience, I say stay the course. If TK is smart, which they are, they know a good team is made up of people with diverse experiences not all clones.

(yes...I have steel experience....but I didn't when I first got hired into the industry, sell your strengths to them)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM

323 posts, read 1,159,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akjnm View Post
Mosby, Thanks for spelling out DCS for me, at least I won't look like a deer staring at headlights when they ask. As for worrying about steel experience, I say stay the course. If TK is smart, which they are, they know a good team is made up of people with diverse experiences not all clones.

(yes...I have steel experience....but I didn't when I first got hired into the industry, sell your strengths to them)
Very good advice!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM

21 posts, read 75,951 times
Well I moved to Alabama from Michigan this week and I start at TK on Monday. It's been a long road but I'm sure it is worth it. I have 35 years experience in steel. I will let you all know how my first week goes. Thanks for all the info on this board, it has been helpful.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM

84 posts, read 262,156 times
Okay, now go to HR and tell them to hire me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area