Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM

138 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

Do people who live in Gulf Shores work in Mobile, or is the distance to far?
What is there to do for a living in Gulf Shores, other than something in tourism or real estate, are there any major businesses there?
Just trying to compare AL/MS Coast for relocation. Have already lived in Biloxi before, thought maybe I should try Mobile/Gulf Shores for a change. I have been there before and see little difference, but for Gulf Shores see a more drastic difference in terms of businesses for work. Other than pretty blue water and scores of hi rise condos...dont see much in Gulf Shores. Based on what I know, I would lean toward the MS Coast as I think it has more opportunity in terms of work and entertainment venues; (ie: everything Gulf Shores can offer plus gaming...which I like), but again, only visited Gulf Shores once...so I am very ignorant to what it may offer. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
Do people who live in Gulf Shores work in Mobile, or is the distance to far?
Nope. Too far.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
What is there to do for a living in Gulf Shores, other than something in tourism or real estate
Not much.

Most people who work in Gulf Shores in the service sector or tourism actually live in the Foley/Robertsdale area. The people who have the beach houses are usually retired or wealthy (mostly both).

Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
So would it be really boring to retire to Gulf Shores (specifically, Orange Beach)? As I'd be living there half the year, would really like some kind of community within walking/biking distance and preferably a large city with a major airport within a short drive. It's a great place for a vacation, but don't know if it'd be snoozeville living there for six months! Thanks for any additional input...

Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM

432 posts, read 1,255,774 times
When I moved to Ono Island (Orange Beach), I thought it was a GREAT idea as it is just beautiful and peaceful. Yes, great for fishing(hubby loved that), biking and socializing at the community center. Short drive to Pensacola for airport and shopping was OK. But after 2 major hurricanes and being bored to tears, we decided it was not so great after all. But if you still like the idea, check Ono Island.

BTW, we moved to Fairhope 7 years ago, and love it here.It is a small town and all the advantages without being in a major city. You might want to check it out. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,592 times
Default Fairhope AL area

We are considering retirement in Daphne, Spanish Fort or Fairhope area.....been to northern AL before as a visit to Guntersville area. Nice, but best if you have a boat. Living in Virginia last 12 years and it still feels unnatural, not a fit for us...been unhappy here from day one, but stayed for husbands job....originally from NH. Between weather and cost of living, not going back to New England in retirement as much as our hearts want to... Any other NE person relocate to Baldwin County...your thoughts on weather, storms....enough activities of low cost for senior citiizens? Thanks

Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR1972 View Post
We are considering retirement in Daphne, Spanish Fort or Fairhope area.....been to northern AL before as a visit to Guntersville area. Nice, but best if you have a boat. Living in Virginia last 12 years and it still feels unnatural, not a fit for us...been unhappy here from day one, but stayed for husbands job....originally from NH. Between weather and cost of living, not going back to New England in retirement as much as our hearts want to... Any other NE person relocate to Baldwin County...your thoughts on weather, storms....enough activities of low cost for senior citiizens? Thanks
This link will give you a good idea of activities .

Mullet Wrapper - Things to do in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Elberta, Magnolia Springs and Foley, Alabama and Perdido Key, Florida.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:06 PM

38 posts, read 195,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR1972 View Post
Hi there! My husband and I are New England natives (near Boston and central Connecticut) who have lived in Mobile most of the last 40+ years. We also owned half a duplex condo unit in Gulf Shores for 20+ years. The move was a huge culture shock, but we have acclimated and come to like the area. We try to get back to New England to visit family a couple of times a year, and do still love it, though we could never live in those winters again. Our daughters and their families are down here, as well.

All that said, we simply adore Fairhope. It attracts many retirees, with a fair number of residents from up north. It is a charming, beautiful, sophisticated place. Homes near the Bay are pricey, but there are plenty of reasonably-priced homes, as well. You'd be close enough to both Mobile, for bigger-city activities, and the Gulf, which is lovely, especially in the off-season. We are starting to consider down-sizing to Fairhope in a couple of years.

Daphne is also a very nice city, right next to Fairhope, and there is plenty of reasonable housing there. You will find taxes considerably lower down here than up north.

Good luck in your search for a retirement home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area