Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 7,127 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are developing the idea of relocating from Birmingham to Mobile if she were to take a job at USA or a community college within the AL system. We are early to mid-40s with no kids and prefer the simpler life so that we may someday travel. Right now we own a fee-simple (no condo fees) townhome in a B'ham suburb that is more than adequate for us and also affordable, so we thought we'd find a comparable situation in Mobile. I'm having a hard time finding townhouse developments in Mobile, other than a bunch of condos around the USA campus and Lake Forest area in Daphne - all complexes with management/fees.

Do these kind of developments not exist down there? What alternatives are there - and if we were destined to choose a condo in one of these places, would we fit in? I'd think there would be lots of students in condos next to USA (and partying!). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
You could try 'The Commons at Springhill' on Du Rhu Drive.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,167,336 times
^^^ that is a good one !

Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,127 times
Thank you... seems like they're all condos with varying association dues - some more than others. I've seen some off of Dickens Ferry road next to USA, and some at Willow Point subdivision. I wouldn't mind a reasonable fee if it included lots of things. Are those good areas or are they going to be full of students?

Alternately house-wise, what is the Greenwich Hills neighborhood like - and what about midtown around Murphy High School?

I'm learning...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM

299 posts, read 938,772 times
Some townhouses are Cannon Gate, Place le Vert and Stone Gate, although I think those all have condo fees. The neighborhoods around Murphy are good, I lived there for several years (13 or so), and even now I'm still pretty close.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstrom View Post
Alternately house-wise, what is the Greenwich Hills neighborhood like - and what about midtown around Murphy High School?
Lived in Greenwhich Hills for awhile. Fine by me. Some will say it's majorly going downhill though. I wouldn't have any second thoughts at all, but I'd be lying if I said everyone felt the same as me. Most of the Midtown area around Murphy would be fine as well, despite what some might say. I will say that the area around Murphy is probably higher regarded though by most - but I actually like Greenwhich Hills slightly better (but I love the Azalea area). If you can go up a little $, try Jackson Heights (my favorite neighborhood in town).

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times
There are some real townhouses near the intersection of Cottage Hill and Azalea (just west of it). I think they are called "Jamestown"? Could be wrong. Been awhile.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM

196 posts, read 777,363 times
There is a development opp Mitchel Centre, on West Drive called Bradford Place. Neat clean place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area