Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 PM

46 posts, read 119,009 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help?

My husband and I are curious about cost and availability of home owner's insurance in this area. We are interested in insurance costs that would cover a $300K house against weather related hazards, (wind and flood) as well as the typical fire hazards. We're considering buying a home and retiring to this lovely area, so insurance is one of our big concerns.

We currently live in an area where wind and water damage is not a typical hazard, so we are interested in these weather conditions and how they impact homeowners insurance rates in the Gulf region.

Thank you for your feedback-we appreciate anyone that can help with this.

Imascot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 24,046 times
I have a friend who lives in daphne, their house is fro sale because the insurance preminum is around 2800 year. Which is not that bad considering the house is worth 300k

Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,256,197 times
Imascot,

It depends on the location of the home, the age and the value. The farthest from any water the better. Our home is 1 1/2 years old, we have a metal roof, it's 1 1/4 miles from the bay in Fairhope, and our insurance is $2,100. And it is over 400k...

Check out Farmer's, they write our insurance. It also helps to have cars and all other in one package. That saves you money.

Remember we have the lowest state taxes so that sometimes makes up for other expenses like insurance...Good luck!!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 AM

272 posts, read 961,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
Imascot,

It depends on the location of the home, the age and the value. The farthest from any water the better. Our home is 1 1/2 years old, we have a metal roof, it's 1 1/4 miles from the bay in Fairhope, and our insurance is $2,100. And it is over 400k...

Check out Farmer's, they write our insurance. It also helps to have cars and all other in one package. That saves you money.

Remember we have the lowest state taxes so that sometimes makes up for other expenses like insurance...Good luck!!
Farmers doesn't write wind protection on new policys now, so most people need to get coverage for wind in the state run beach pool, which is higher. Luckily for us State Farm is writing now, so we went with them, for our house in Loxley. New 200K 4bdrm, 2 bath ran us about a $1000 for everything.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM

46 posts, read 119,009 times
Thanks for your help-that makes things clearer. We will contact insurance agency in the area for quotes.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM

486 posts, read 886,689 times
I am buying a house over there right now. It's insane. Apparently they just had some huge rate increase. I'm buying a house around $140k in Daphne...built in 2003, brick, double garage, around 1400 sq ft. and they want $2013! Amica DENIED me because I live too close to the water----which is ignorant considering I'm at 150 ft. ABOVE sea level at that house. The cheapest quote I got was $1825.

If anyone else can help me out, let me know....Oh and the big shot companies aren't writing wind coverage anymore. They go through a third party, Geovera (sp?). This includes Allstate, Farmers, etc. I talked with several agents and they all said it would be about the same price.

They ********* on the Eastern Shore and there's nothing you can do about it. It's cheaper than FL though.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
I am buying a house over there right now. It's insane. Apparently they just had some huge rate increase. I'm buying a house around $140k in Daphne...built in 2003, brick, double garage, around 1400 sq ft. and they want $2013! Amica DENIED me because I live too close to the water----which is ignorant considering I'm at 150 ft. ABOVE sea level at that house. The cheapest quote I got was $1825.

If anyone else can help me out, let me know....Oh and the big shot companies aren't writing wind coverage anymore. They go through a third party, Geovera (sp?). This includes Allstate, Farmers, etc. I talked with several agents and they all said it would be about the same price.

They ********* on the Eastern Shore and there's nothing you can do about it. It's cheaper than FL though.
Might want to look at some houses in the Loxley/ Robertsdale area, it's near I-10, less congestion and it's in a different zone as far as insurance goes, our house cost about 185k, insurance about $1000 in Loxley, same house in Daphne would be about $205k and insurance would be $2500- $3000, I like Loxley

Old 09-16-2009, 01:42 PM

486 posts, read 886,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7spider View Post
Might want to look at some houses in the Loxley/ Robertsdale area, it's near I-10, less congestion and it's in a different zone as far as insurance goes, our house cost about 185k, insurance about $1000 in Loxley, same house in Daphne would be about $205k and insurance would be $2500- $3000, I like Loxley
Already bought the house, closing in 2 weeks. I prefer to be closer to stuff anyway, so I guess it's my own fault. I'm not one of those that likes to take a 15 min. drive just to run up to the store to get something.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Already bought the house, closing in 2 weeks. I prefer to be closer to stuff anyway, so I guess it's my own fault. I'm not one of those that likes to take a 15 min. drive just to run up to the store to get something.
Actually only takes about 5 minutes, cause there's no traffic or a bunch of red lights, coming from the Atlanta area it'd take us 15 minutes to go a mile to the store most of the time

Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 AM

The closer to the water and shopping the more you will pay year in and year out for everything insurance, taxes, cost of home and all the issues you must deal with in highly populated and fast growing areas, namely road construction and traffic, good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area