Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving back 'home'. I saw a couple of good buys in that area. I use to live off of Gill Road back in the dark ages. Midtown appeals to me but I have a couple of dogs so I am going to need a bigger yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Well welcome back soon .Ill be in that area today so ill ride by and check it out for you keeper.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Riverside Dr probably isn't all that bad, but the northern end of DIP doesn't look so great lately, lots of stores with bars over the windows and gas stations with bullet proof glass.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
Boy, you haven't been to Mobile in a while have you?? Up until the past two years I lived in Mobile my whole life....matter of fact I lived a good portion of my younger years on Gill Road.

To put it politely, I would not even consider living anywhere off DIP. Like most areas of Mobile it has been taken over by the "ghetto". Mobile used to be a nice city to live in.....

Good Luck in finding an area of Mobile that you find comforting.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Lukskuy : I know of several areas in Mobile that are comforting.

I attend USA and I have talked to several out of town students. Many of them think of Mobile as a peaceful/laid back inspite of the local news stories. They either live in or live in the metros of cities that are far worse.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:10 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
Port City...like I said in my post, I have lived in Mobile all of my life until recently and I remember when Mobile used to be a very nice city. I'm sure someone that does not know what Mobile used to be like may find it an o.k place to live.....they have no preconceived notions about Mobile and have no idea about the "old Mobile".

Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM

299 posts, read 938,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Boy, you haven't been to Mobile in a while have you?? Up until the past two years I lived in Mobile my whole life....matter of fact I lived a good portion of my younger years on Gill Road.

To put it politely, I would not even consider living anywhere off DIP. Like most areas of Mobile it has been taken over by the "ghetto". Mobile used to be a nice city to live in.....

Good Luck in finding an area of Mobile that you find comforting.
That may be a bit harsh..

Yes, a lot of places off DIP are rough, as are other places, but saying the whole city (or most of it) has been encompassed in ghetto.. Come on now.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM

299 posts, read 938,333 times
Also, my favorite Mexican place and fresh, local seafood places are on DIP (I hear there is some good Chinese, too).

Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 25,039 times
I wouldn't recommend it, that area is kinda ghetto. (26y/o blk male here) There are good areas mixed in there but its too close to the ghetto parts for me. Even the waterfront property. I own a house near Navco Park, but recently moved to the Alpine Hills area off of Ziegler Blvd. Good neighborhood for middle class of all races and housing is reasonable due to economy. Also the insurance cost is insane for the DIP area.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
When I was young (like 20 years ago), my Grandpa would take me to the Navco area all the time. As a teen, had a friend that I played basketball with on the weekends who went to BC Rain ... so went to a few parties off DIP in high school. Outside of that, I don't know too much about the area. Just thought I would throw in my random, worthlesss two cents.

Might drive around there when down for New Years ... just to peek around areas of Mobile I havn't been to in forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area