Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM

270 posts, read 504,521 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a native of the Mobile area, but due to circumstances beyond my control I no longer have my own house or car. I've been living in mainly on-campus housing and depending on campus transportation, walking, and public transportation. My credit's not very good, either, and I'm a non-employed full-time college student set to graduate some time next year.

I'm a bit concerned, because I would have to work before I could afford a car, and I wonder what I should do in the meantime after I graduate? It would be best for me to start teaching right away, but, without reliable transportation, that may not be possible. Plus, I'll need to find another place to live as I can't live on campus if I'm not in school.

I was thinking about opting for graduate school or joining the Peace Corps or Teach for America in order to build up my resume. As for grad school, though, I would mainly be depending on more student loans, and I would still need an affordable place to live and perhaps a way to commute to my teaching assignments. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,296 times
Teach for America is most likely going to be your best option. The Mobile school system is expecting to lay off 500 employees next school year and the majority of them will be teachers so don't look to get a job here. Even if that weren't the case, lack of transportation would be a problem. Getting a job would mean living near your school and that can be a bit treacherous as I don't think a young, single girl would want to live alone in some of the areas you might get a job. Teach for America would give you experience and also student loan forgiveness. If I were just graduating and didn't have kids I would do that. Good luck!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I tend to agree with "teachinmobile", Teach for America may be your best bet for getting a teaching job. I teach in Huntsville and there are going to be massive layoffs here also. Unless you have certification in an area that is high demand/few applicants (like foreign language) the likelihood of getting hired by standard means is low.

I know it would mean more student loans, but you should really consider opting to stay in school and get your masters. Maybe you could work at something while your finishing your grad degree that would put a little money in the bank. Transportation is going to be your biggest challenge. No matter if you teach or stay in school/work another job, your going to have to have a way to get around. I know many teachers and only one who doesn't drive. She rides the school bus (kind of serving as a monitor) in the morning and is dependent on the kindness of others or public transportation to get home. It is not the easiest situation.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM

123 posts, read 318,702 times
Talking to some "in the know" yesterday. Baldwin Co. school system is hiring. With the new tax in effect some schools now have been given new teacher positions to fill instead of cuts. A new superintendent will be announced soon . Spanish Fort High is replacing the principal who is leaving to go to Saraland High and Spanish Fort Middle 's Principal is taking a promotion so that spot is also open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area