Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 06:23 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times

Advertisements

As you can see, PortCity, there’s no changing the opinion of someone that doesn’t want to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
As you can see, PortCity, there’s no changing the opinion of someone that doesn’t want to change it.
Its a mindset.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Its a mindset.
You got that right.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
Trying to remember the name of the Old Drug Store that used to be at the corner of Dauphin Street and Royal.
Has a lower level with animal supplies. Office building on top. Across from Three Sisters

Old 04-04-2018, 08:53 AM

562 posts, read 665,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Loper View Post
Trying to remember the name of the Old Drug Store that used to be at the corner of Dauphin Street and Royal.
Has a lower level with animal supplies. Office building on top. Across from Three Sisters
I believe it was the Van Antwerps drug store since it was their building.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Does anyone remember the water slide on ...I think it was range line rd? I think it was at or close to the KOA campground. I was very little but I remember going there...until hurricane Frederick blew it to pieces

Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
For some of you older folks that have been around the area many years, I wanted to get a perspective of landmarks in the area and what used to be there.

I was born in late 81 but always felt I should have grown up in the 60s and 70s before Walmart and the big box stores took over and before technology boomed into what it is. I remember growing up at the tail end of "old America" before it became what it is today. It's too dangerous now to ride your bike to the store or go far off with friends at a young age. So I want to go back in time and get info from others on what they remember from Mobile 30+ years ago.

I grew up in the DIP area in the early to mid 80s before things got rough in the area. I remember the shopping center across from Sherwood Forrest subdivision. There used to be a Tasco store; the grocery store was Consumer Foods, and finally--I remember the TG&Y! Down the road across from Pine Crest was the awesome Colonel Dixie!

Another shopping center we frequented was Navco at McVay. Anyone remember the A&P grocery store, the Watson drugs, Al's 5&10? Down on Govt Blvd. near the Whataburger we had the old K-Mart and a small Delchamps (have no idea what Kmart was before then--I wasn't around).

Name some areas of town and what used to be there. Airport and Cottage Hill used to be nothing from what I've heard.
I remember Navco well. I grew up there. The A&P, Watson’s Drugstore and on the other side, there was a laundry mat with old pictures from the 50s. My favorite thing was the TG&Y on DIP.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi n mobile View Post
I remember Navco well. I grew up there. The A&P, Watson’s Drugstore and on the other side, there was a laundry mat with old pictures from the 50s. My favorite thing was the TG&Y on DIP.
I also grew up in the Navco area, I remember the Morgan and Lindsey’s, A&P, and there was a bar in that shopping center too, I think it was called the Midway.

We lived in Gulf Terra, and me and my brother used to ride our bikes up to the TCR across the street from that shopping center and get snacks.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
Default Water Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPhotoGirl View Post
Does anyone remember the water slide on ...I think it was range line rd? I think it was at or close to the KOA campground. I was very little but I remember going there...until hurricane Frederick blew it to pieces
It was located on Theodore Dawes Rd, just south of I-10.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,636 times
Does anyone remember the name of the skating rink that was at The Loop. The Barnes family were the owner/operators. I think it is (was) and antique store now. I was thinking of some of the people I used to skate and friends with there. This would be in the 1960's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area