Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM

482 posts, read 885,332 times

Advertisements

For some of you older folks that have been around the area many years, I wanted to get a perspective of landmarks in the area and what used to be there.

I was born in late 81 but always felt I should have grown up in the 60s and 70s before Walmart and the big box stores took over and before technology boomed into what it is. I remember growing up at the tail end of "old America" before it became what it is today. It's too dangerous now to ride your bike to the store or go far off with friends at a young age. So I want to go back in time and get info from others on what they remember from Mobile 30+ years ago.

I grew up in the DIP area in the early to mid 80s before things got rough in the area. I remember the shopping center across from Sherwood Forrest subdivision. There used to be a Tasco store; the grocery store was Consumer Foods, and finally--I remember the TG&Y! Down the road across from Pine Crest was the awesome Colonel Dixie!

Another shopping center we frequented was Navco at McVay. Anyone remember the A&P grocery store, the Watson drugs, Al's 5&10? Down on Govt Blvd. near the Whataburger we had the old K-Mart and a small Delchamps (have no idea what Kmart was before then--I wasn't around).

Name some areas of town and what used to be there. Airport and Cottage Hill used to be nothing from what I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Grew up ages 3-14 near Schillenger and Cottage Hill. Nothing is an almost correct term lol. It was nothing like it is today. There was a grocery store at the northeast corner (think it is a thrift store now). There was Duke animal clinic not far down the road. That was it.

Now, there is alot at that intersection. Even at that, Airport at Schillenger experienced about 1,000x the growth Cottage Hill/Schillenger did.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I was born in '79 and I certainly remember TG&Y from when I was a kid. I also remember Harco Drugs (I won a coloring contest there when I was 5).

Is the Al's 5&10 still on Old Shell Rd?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
I remember all about DIP....I spent alot of my time there in the early 80's.....

I spent many weekend nights at the Sports Event on DIP and McNally Park.

It was Morgan and Lindsey's in the Navco Shopping Center along with the Midway bar at the end of that shopping Center.

There was Birdville....

There was also the scary house hidden in the woods along Halls Mill called Jason's.

What about the Rendevous close to the Dog River Bridge??? Ahhhh....when Mobile was a cool place to live...

I'm sure there are more that will come to mind....

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 AM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Well I was born in 85 so i`m out of the age range,lol. I miss the Dollar Movie at the Festival Center and there use to be a really cool grocery store in the Festival Center I think it was Kroger not sure.

I remember when Springdale mall was a decent place to shop !! I miss A & W hot dogs that was at the corner of the entrance.I remember Montgomery Ward, I also remember the massive size of Gayfer`s I believe it was the biggest department store in th state and one of the largest in the southeast I believe. I also remeber Alladins Game room in Springdale and there use to be another hidden walk way or hall way that lead to McRaes(Belks) that i never knew about till later on becasue Gayfers was soo large,lol.

Bel- Air Mall : I hate ,hate,hate that they replaced our food court for Target,lol. Bel - Air was soo cool then and had more stores to me then compared to now.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I lived in Mobile during that time frame and actually earlier. I lived at the Loop near Rickarby Park. It was a great place to grow up. I went to Murphy HS and use to walk to school nearly everyday. There was a drugstore on the corner of Gov't and Fulton Road (now DIP), they had a lunch counter. The delchamps was where nearly everyone shopped for groceries. We use to go to the Loop Theater on Sat or Sun. We had our special place to sit if you wanted to make out with your boyfriend. They had ushers who use to cruise the isles to be sure things were not too out of control. We also went to the skating rink right off of Fulton Road. Life was good

As teenagers we would cruise from Krystal on gov't to Johnny's Drive In and then down to Ozzie's BBQ. There were 2 drive-in theaters were we would go usually with friends. We use to go horseback riding for 4 hours off of Navaco Rd. IIRC We also went to the CYO hall every weekend for a dance. My girlfriend and I once walked from Barton to the CYO hall after a Mardi Gras Night Parade.

I also lived off of Gill Road where we built a house for 20K. I worked in Pritchard at Mercury Freight Lines. My husband worked for Brookley AFB. He was trained to work on the F18 (?) airplanes. When they closed Brookley we moved to Huntsville.

Other great memories..
Riding in the Mardi Gras Floral Parade, Ms LuLu's pony rides. Getting bakery items from Polman bakery for Sunday night.
Going skiing,crabing and fishing on Dog River, Driving to Biloxi to go dancing at the bars, Spending the weekend with friends on Magnolia River and catching mullet and frying them up that evening.

My father was a musican and had his own band for many many years. He use to play for Mardi Gras balls and many other events.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I was born when my parents lived on Newport Dr near Davidson HS in 1964. I remember Tony's Pizza at Pleasant Valley & Azalea Rd. We used to go to a drive-in restaurant down Azalea road for "slushes". I remember when Springdale Plaza was anchored by Gayfer's and JC Penney. I remember Zoghby's, Zundel's , Hammell's. OOH - anybody remember Bellas-Hess at Airport & Azalea? I LOVED going in that place as a kid! It was like a fore-runner of today's hyper-marts. Had EVERYTHING from clothes to tires, and had its own gas station out front. Best candy in the world, too.

Then we moved WAAAAY out Cottage Hill Rd. I remember the A&P at Azalea & Cottage Hill Rd and the "dime store" - Morgan Lindsey - in the same shopping center. We lived on Knollwood Dr when it was only about 3 blocks long. I remember National, Eastern & Southern airlines serving that horrid little old terminal at Bates Field. My dad was an announcer/newsman/anchor at one of the local TV stations in the 60's, 70's and for a bit in the 80's.

I also remember the Greyhound station downtown, and the old movie theater next door (saw Bambi there as a child). I remember when Hamrick Toyota was downtown. I remember Constantine's restaurant on Government St (its 2nd location, I believe). OMG - somebody already mentioned Colonel Dixie! Best fried chicken ever. Geez - Mobile used to be a halfway decent place!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 03-09-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Haha I worked in Springdale Mall back when it was still a functioning mall. God that seems like so long ago, but it was actually only 12 years ago (was 17). It was such a quick decline. Sad. I also remember when Bel Air Mall had the food court. Don't get me wrong - I like having a mexican eatery there now where I can get a buzz off a few margaritas before walking around the mall ... but yeah, taking the food court out killed a good bit of the atmosphere.

I remember the great candy section at Brunos at Azalea/Airport (no longer there).

I remember in middle school fishing with my grandpa in Dog River, docking somewhere off Navco (I could be wrong?).

I remember being elementary age, playing the arcade game at Colonal Dixie at McGregor/Old Shell.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 AM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
I past by Colonel Dixie earlier today. I never thought about giving them a try but reading this thread, I may just have to consider.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
Anyone remember the mini mall in Bel-Air Mall?? It don't remember all the little shops that were down that little "hall", but I remember there was a pastry shop and a head shop in there. Also, the huge slide called the "suicide slide" that used to sit in the parking lot of near the Springdale Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area