Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

24 posts, read 78,933 times

Advertisements

Not only the oil industry but others as well! The whole trickle down effect. We ALL will suffer from this, not just oil workers.

What I have a problem with is all the possible solutions people have come up with like using hay, less toxic chemicals, etc, being shot down or ignored by BP and the government. They don't want to hear ideas from any normal people, and seem to think they have all the answers for us, as always. From what I've so witnessed so far they don't! I think more must be done, and all ideas considered and tried from this point forward. It's almost as if they are trying to kill our gulf on purpose by all the delays in response and cleanup. This is tragic on so many levels, just like a manmade Katrina. God be with us all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
They found a three mile oil plume in the Gulf and BP is denieng it

Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 AM

272 posts, read 960,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
They found a three mile oil plume in the Gulf and BP is denieng it
How much BS we gonna take from these worms man ?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 AM

55 posts, read 265,033 times
I am from Mobile and graduated from high school in 1988. All but 2 of my cousins still live in Mobile. I am devastated by the images of the wildlife suffering a slow, painful death much less what this catastrophe is doing to our beautiful Mobile Bay.

This may sound like a strange question but my hubby & I have noticed when we speak to any family members & ask about the smell & more importantly the sight of what damage they see on the bay, they tell us it really isn't that bad & the media is blowing it a bit out of proportion...WHAT??

We thought perhaps they are all in denial but now we think they are just plain out of their minds. Perhaps it's just a bias based on political views. For those of you who live in the port city, have any of you seen the eastern or often forgotten western shore such as Hollinger's Island? I know tar balls washed up on Dauphin Island days ago, so I presume they are also on the bay's beaches. Was any "boom" put up to protect the bay? If so, was it effective?

I'm watching the Today Show & Good Morning America every morning as well as CNN coverage at night to get the latest updates & they seem to focus a lot on Pensacola beach & not Mobile. I know the images I'm seeing don't match what my relatives are saying. Thanks in advance for any input on the situation...I really appreciate it!!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
^^^in the case of your family, I think it is denial. I don't think they want to consider what is going to happen to their community. It probably doesn't "look" that bad right now, at least from what I have heard from others that have been down there. But there is still an enormous quantity of oil offshore. The tourism, fishing and oil industries are shut down or greatly hurt indefinitely...the effects from this have just begun.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM

272 posts, read 960,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
^^^in the case of your family, I think it is denial. I don't think they want to consider what is going to happen to their community. It probably doesn't "look" that bad right now, at least from what I have heard from others that have been down there. But there is still an enormous quantity of oil offshore. The tourism, fishing and oil industries are shut down or greatly hurt indefinitely...the effects from this have just begun.
So True !!!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Well in your relatives offense Mobile bay is kind of protected by the barrier islands(Dauphin Island)and other straits such as Gulf Shores. The two are acting as a guard at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The only concern is the Katrina cut which is a cut or canal in Dauphin Island that is due to erosion that was caused by hurricane Katrina and a small 1/3 of a mile wide slit between Dauphin Island and Gulf shores that Carnival Cruise line use to enter the bay .They have to keep the slit open for cruise ships and Port exchange .They will need to put booms in the cut to stop it from entering the bay and a little boom behind the slit.Gov Riley is using 15 million dollars from BP to block the cut. Other than that the bay is still the same old bay. And there haven’t been any tar balls or oil smells in our area. Dauphin Island and Gulf/Orange beaches are the ones that are really experiencing the effects of the oil. The media isn’t s blowing anything out of proportion but what I can say is there is a very slim chance that the Bay will be effected(Thank God for the Barrier islands).Mobile Bay isn’t as wide open as you would think again thanks to the God made barrier.

Looking at the local oil forecast the oil slick kind of passed the Dauphin island area and the Mississippi coast. Dauphin Island and Mississippi may only experience tar balls and the smell. The biggest problem is the slick which may reach parts of Orange Beach and definitely the Florida panhandle. The slick is definitely on the Louisiana Coast though.

The most scary recent finding is the Oil plume which is far worse than the oil that we can see on the surface of the water. We were lead under the impression that all of the oil is rising to the surface but it isn’t. There is a huge three square mile thick oil cloud(plume) that is in the water. Oxygen levels are at an all time low due to the oil cloud. It is better for it to rise but to have this dark scary mucus thick oil cloud that is just in the water will be the real cause of the global catastrophe. I would have never imagine that there will be the start of a global catastrophe right at my back door ladies and gentlemen the (oil plume) has the potential to be destrcutive,God help us.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7spider View Post
How much BS we gonna take from these worms man ?

I can`t take anymore man.The sad thing is there is much much more that they are hiding from us.It took an act of congress for them to show the video footage of the oil gusher.Scientist from a University in Florida and Georgia along with specilist from Dauphin Island and Louisiana all confirmed that there is an oil plume and BP is in deep denial.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM

123 posts, read 318,490 times
Boom's a bust as oil spill seeps into Perdido Pass | al.com

We're dead

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM

299 posts, read 937,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
And there haven’t been any tar balls or oil smells in our area.
Actually, I smelled the oil one day early in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area