U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM

9,036 posts, read 11,126,883 times

Advertisements

I'm going to warn you that people are often very unfriendly toward Californians in this state. What size town do you want? I would recommend Billings. It's not as scenic as the rest of the state but the people are usually pretty decent. I would stay well away from anywhere west of the Continental Divide. I lived there for a miserable year and found the people to be very close-minded. It is also much more expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 AM

152 posts, read 309,128 times
Just a quick note on Missoula:

1. Yes, the people are friendly maybe some of the friendliest.
2. Summers are quite nice there.
3. The inversion really makes it depressing and some parts of town with the type of housing makes that worse.
4. Don't go down Reserve unless you have to.
5. Make sure you can handle the politics. It is far more like Portland than Montana.
6. The cost of housing and the limits on the amount of land available is frankly sad.
7. There is a huge difference in climate between Missoula and a good portion of the Bitterroot; they are not one in the same in many regards.
8. If I was coming from a bigger city like Seattle or Portland. I wouldn't make the move unless the pay is that much better or the ratio between income and cost of living improves that much. It really isn't that much of change, except they don't hate Walmart. It might be the least Montana city in Montana.
9. Given all that, it is much preferable to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco in that it can't become so full of itself because the reality of the rest of the state keeps it more grounded. Great South Park episode concerning hybrid cars on the subject.
10. Conservatives don't have to live there and because its power on the rest of Montana is so limited it is easy to let Missoula be Missoula. Besides, Obama needs a place to visit so he can pretend to be roughing it here in the Western Wilds when he is not at some wealthy fundraiser in Big Sky with his Montana Team of Baucus and Tester.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,712,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post

3. The inversion really makes it depressing and some parts of town with the type of housing makes that worse.
5. Make sure you can handle the politics. It is far more like Portland than Montana.
6. The cost of housing and the limits on the amount of land available is frankly sad.
7. There is a huge difference in climate between Missoula and a good portion of the Bitterroot; they are not one in the same in many regards.
8. If I was coming from a bigger city like Seattle or Portland. I wouldn't make the move unless the pay is that much better or the ratio between income and cost of living improves that much. It really isn't that much of change, except they don't hate Walmart. It might be the least Montana city in Montana.
9. Given all that, it is much preferable to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco in that it can't become so full of itself because the reality of the rest of the state keeps it more grounded. Great South Park episode concerning hybrid cars on the subject.
10. Conservatives don't have to live there and because its power on the rest of Montana is so limited it is easy to let Missoula be Missoula. Besides, Obama needs a place to visit so he can pretend to be roughing it here in the Western Wilds when he is not at some wealthy fundraiser in Big Sky with his Montana Team of Baucus and Tester.
.....Hey Nature's Cathedral........

Just for kicks......let me comment of your post-----"using the number system">

Numbers #1 through#6; I agree completely.

#7: OK, here comes my 'twisted sense of humor'................
Far better weather in Miszoo than down in the B.R. valley....terrible commute to Miszoo in the winter.....zillions of deer crossing the highway at all times of day and night, etc,etc..........(N OTE to N.C......hey we gotta stick together....we have a crowded vallley now.....no more transplants in the B.R. until we have 2 more severe winters that will send some folks to warmer climates)

#8 & #9: Agree.

#10: .......partial quote form your #10: ........"with his Montana team of Baucus and Tester".
....My feelings: Hopefully that will change in the near future!!

Summary: If you're going to move to western Montana.....Missoula, Polson, The Flathead area: yes, yes, yes! ......... Hamilton and the Bitterroot Valley area: No, No!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 AM

152 posts, read 309,128 times
MT Griz,
The reason for my post is people tend to accept what they are surrounded by or completely rebel. If to many people only know the cities that are more liberal then they get used to liberal. That is one of the reasons for my frankness on Missoula. Try rural life a bit more and find out the very nice advantages.

I am thinking of getting a billboard on 1-90 showing a picture of Tester, Baucus, Schweitzer, Bullock, and Obama with Obama in the middle and the phrase: "Obama's Team in Montana" over the top of each face. Schweitzer for being an absolute blow hard, Bullock for not standing up to the health care law, and tweetle dum and tweetle dee for being who they are. No reason to explain why they are his team. Saying it alone might be the best campaign in the history of the state.

Schweitzer hasn't done the damage Twettle Dee and Twettle Dum have done, but he really is like a braying donkey.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 58,741 times
My daughter and I live in a tent in Livingston, as its what we can afford. A part time job that pays 82 a month. So now we are looking for a plot of land for 200 a month where we can live in our tent year round. Any ideas?

spiritwomyn
spiritwomynco@yahoo.com

Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM

7,898 posts, read 13,736,233 times
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a billboard on 1-90 showing a picture of Tester, Baucus, Schweitzer, Bullock, and Obama with Obama in the middle and the phrase: "Obama's Team in Montana" over the top of each face. Schweitzer for being an absolute blow hard, Bullock for not standing up to the health care law, and tweetle dum and tweetle dee for being who they are. No reason to explain why they are his team. Saying it alone might be the best campaign in the history of the state.
Oh my, that is just priceless!! GREAT campaign idea, go for it, or suggest it as needed to appropriate folks.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM

7,898 posts, read 13,736,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwomyn View Post
My daughter and I live in a tent in Livingston, as its what we can afford. A part time job that pays 82 a month. So now we are looking for a plot of land for 200 a month where we can live in our tent year round. Any ideas?
Best thought is probably an unused corner of someone's ranch... about all you can do there is go door to door, hat in hand, and hope to hit the right situation. Barring that...

There are city lots for sale in an older part of town for under $20,000 which is about $200/month. I don't know about the tent part but there are well-aged single-wide trailers next door, so it's not like they're too much against downscale. Do a search for "gallatinidx" and various real estate sites will come up that hook into a good search function.

I also found a little old house near the river for $39,000, needs work but was a cute house in its day (built in 1890!) -- I'm guessing you could argue that price way down because of possible mold issues. Live in your tent and rent out the house.

I knew a guy who lived in a teepee in Bozeman, many years back. (I see that old ranch site is now part of a mall! ) I lived in a travel trailer for years myself, outside of Belgrade. So it's not like it can't be done, in reasonable comfort at that!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 18,374,287 times
My Dad lived in a 25' ft or so pull behind RV trailer for many years in a place called the Wilderness outside of Fredericksburg VA. Real close to the wilderness that Stonewall Jackson was mortally wounded at.

I spent a lot of time with him there pretty comfortably. The trailer was cheap, we kept it fixed up and provisioned. The winters were mild though, so heating wasn't that much of an issue for him and he was a *cough* retired HVAC guy at 55 yrs old, so he could get all the A/C you'd ever want, lol.

I don't think he paid more than $75 a month back then for the lot he had, including water, a redneck septic system and the trailer was a swap deal. Pretty cheap living frankly.

Proves you can make due with a lot less and still get by. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,678,317 times
Quote:

As a born and raised 30 year Missoula native, I gotta chime in here:

1. For the most part yes, friendly people but not to say we dont' have our bad/sour apples

2. Depends on what you mean by "nice" If you mean constant, weeks on end sunny skies and tempreatures, no, not until July when it gets farking hot at 90' and then our forest fires start up for the next couple of months. Either that, or it just rains and or is gray sky for several days on end with some sun peaking out every few hours.
In short, Missoula's weather is probably the most unreliable in the world, even more so then our weathermans forecasts.

3. Yep, wintertime inversion with smoke/fog is a real PITA and depressing

4. Oh for Christs sake, its not that bad. Move to a big city like Seattle and then ***** about traffic. Perspective people
, perspective

5. Politics are everywhere, no different hear. City council loves to argue and never gets anything accomplished. City also wastes its money on crap and forces its cop to pull over its good, outstand drivng citizens over for the stupidest crap to fine them so they can make money for the city. Missoula also has some of the worst mud flinging that i've seen during election times.
[Mod cut].

6. Yep, come here with LOTS of money to buy land/house or get ready for a real rude awakening call for housings costs. Blame the Californians, it wasn't like this 20-30 years ago.

8. Unless your a doctor, lawyer, high end real estate, business owner *a flurishing one* or a real good investor, don't expect to make tons of money in this town. As my dad says "Missoula, great place to live, ****ty place to make a living"

9. The college hippies are bad enough, you'll see. We got our fair share of enviro wacko's and tree humpers and they hold back progress which is REALLY frustrating

10. WTF was the point of that post?

Oh and this town takes its Grizzly football team VERY seriously, so unless you wanna get your tires slashes or your car trashed, dont' talk bad about the Griz here. Be ready for the crazy traffic in the fall near the UM during football. And if the griz loose, especially at a local game, be prepared for most of the town to be in a REALLY bad mood, especially downtown at the bars. Oh, and the bitterroot drivers are some of the worst, unsafe drivers i've ever seen, They have 13 on their car plates, so give them PLENTY of room and caution.

Be prepared also for your cars paint job to get scratched, dinged, roughed up, chipped. Montana is very hard on cars during the winter time due to gravel use for road and the fact that people just don't care about their cars and slam grocery carts, fender bender peoples cars in parking lots without leaving notes, collegee and teens keying cars and just plain all around people who don't care about other peoples nice, hard earned property.

Oh, and the car salesmen here are some of the most soulless, ego filled, chip off the shoulder jackasses i've ever come across, especially used car dealerships. Avoid NICKEL auto, M&M Auto and University Motors

And yes, alot of people hate california peeps for a variety of reasons, so keep that in check.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Liability issues.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 13,535 times
my name is jonathan and im tring to move out to montana with my fiance and our little boy but i also need to find work [Mod cut] please i need to support our family

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-19-2011 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Highly recommended you don't post your phone number. Wait til people respond and then send it via DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana