Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 33,207 times

Advertisements

Seriously folks, this is ridiculous. You'd think there would be a law against this type of behavior. Oh wait...there is! Driving around, I sometimes believe I've stumbled upon the land of Californian fools, caught up in their own little world, oblivious to what's going on around them. C'mon Montana, we're better than that.

Is the real reason this is such a common occurrence is because Montanans have a particular bent on having the government tell them what they can or cannot do?

It's bad enough that this state is chock full of multiple offender DUI's (the topper so far was a gentleman I read about who had racked up a nice, even dozen of them), but the limitless amount of people blabbing into their phones while driving here is absolutely astounding.

Can somebody enlighten me here as to what the hell is going on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,966,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyHumble View Post
Seriously folks, this is ridiculous. You'd think there would be a law against this type of behavior. Oh wait...there is! Driving around, I sometimes believe I've stumbled upon the land of Californian fools, caught up in their own little world, oblivious to what's going on around them. C'mon Montana, we're better than that.

Is the real reason this is such a common occurrence is because Montanans have a particular bent on having the government tell them what they can or cannot do?

It's bad enough that this state is chock full of multiple offender DUI's (the topper so far was a gentleman I read about who had racked up a nice, even dozen of them), but the limitless amount of people blabbing into their phones while driving here is absolutely astounding.

Hate to tell you but its not just Montana. Its everywhere.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,508,981 times
Quote:

Lots and lots of transplants coming from places where cell-phones/smart phones are the only life these folks have.

Plus, it's legal outside city limits of only a few towns that have the restriction, but I agree, cell phones should be shut off when driving.

I was on a volunteer fire department for 12 years. I hated cell phones worse than drunks. Usually the majority of drunk caused wrecks were between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, cell phone wrecks were 24/7 and worst at rush hour.

I've seen too many cell phone caused wrecks to even answer my phone if I'm not parked or a passenger.

That said, some of the worst offenders I see are cops who are talking on their cells, typing on their on-board computers, and completely disregarding everything going on around them.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,276,044 times
The secret's out: native Montanans are just people with a lot more nature between them. Given good phones and good coverage, they'll stare and poke at them while driving just as much as Californians. And with their lax DUI laws, expect to see more phones flung from more wrecks.

Now to make this even more entertaining: Your ideas for phone apps that only Montanans would use.

Last edited by mrwumpus; 06-15-2015 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typoe

Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 PM

113 posts, read 164,815 times
Damn Minnesotans and their phones!! Worst yet, those Ohioans and their disregard for the safety of all around them.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Uhhhhhhhh......... Didn't you just move here from another state???? Already telling us MONTANANS what to do, are ya??

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,084,156 times
A number of states have passed laws against driving while using a cellphone, unless the phone is hands-free.

While it seems intuitive that yakking on cellphones is a driving hazard -- turns out when it's been tracked and studied, cell-yakking is no worse than any other form of distracted driving, and the people who drive distracted will find something else to be distracted by -- it's not hazardous for everyone, just for people who don't pay attention to driving in the first place. So the don't-cell-and-drive laws don't really accomplish anything, other than shift the blame from the driver to the phone.

Last edited by Reziac; 06-16-2015 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: I have no idea why the cuss filter objected to y a k between hyphens.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
A number of states have passed laws against driving while using a cellphone, unless the phone is hands-free.

While it seems intuitive that yakking on cellphones is a driving hazard -- turns out when it's been tracked and studied, cell-yakking is no worse than any other form of distracted driving, and the people who drive distracted will find something else to be distracted by -- it's not hazardous for everyone, just for people who don't pay attention to driving in the first place. So the don't-cell-and-drive laws don't really accomplish anything, other than shift the blame from the driver to the phone.

Agreed-

Old 06-16-2015, 05:11 PM

19,426 posts, read 22,342,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Yeah I kinda agree with this whole stateme..... Hold on a sec I gotta take this call...

Old 06-16-2015, 05:21 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,084,156 times
And if you think drivers anywhere in America are bad, you need to watch some Russian dashcam videos. (Of which there are zillions, because in Russia you can't get car insurance without a dashcam.) NEVER have I seen that level of oblivious anywhere in America, let alone such complete disregard for the rules of the road. (There aren't many dashvids from Japan, but from what I've seen -- they're worse, cuz they're more aggressive.) I doubt we could achieve it in America even if everyone had their phone hardwired to their brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana