Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:45 PM

181 posts, read 436,445 times

Advertisements

It looks like the cheapest city to the park to fly into is Bozeman in July. I saw there is not an abundant amount of hotels in the park and like on most National Parks they are expensive. Are there any towns just outside the park lets say maybe 30 minutes away you could drive to and stay that was cheaper and had more availability?

We really hate to pick one place to stay or two and have to book ahead of time as we like to be sporadic and stay as long or brief as we like but I know that is tough in the more rural park sites.

Also, we are ok going into Canada for hotels if the northern end of the park is worth the travel into Canada. I am just looking for some general information and suggestions please.

Could we possibly see any grizzlies that time of year by the way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

We dont normally spend a lot for a rental but did see they had some Mustang convertibles I thought seeing the park in this fashion might be worth the extra money?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 01:44 AM

19,441 posts, read 22,349,223 times
Columbia Falls is a nice place outside the park. Need to lock up rooms like right now though. There is a new hotel in Browning on the east side of the park- a little bit of a drive but I understand it's a nice place.

Don't know about car rentals at all.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,471,688 times
Summer season hotel prices throughout Montana can be double or more the regular price. Many Glacier hotel is most people's favorite but Izaak Walton Inn is funky fun. Amtrak does have whistlestop that might be convenient. There are KOA campgrounds with mini cabins that might be cheaper. The season at Glacier is so short accommodations are booked full in advance.

A convertible is always fun. Pack a cooler of picnic snacks & enjoy. Depending on your time available it might be beneficial to take a tour bus ride & car trip over Going to Sun, so the driver can really enjoy the views at least once.

Grizzlies roaming near highway are not near as likely as mountain goats & mountain sheep. Glacier has back country chalets and hiking trails are where you want to have bear spray along. Follow the guidance of park info brochure for your safety.

Glacier Park is a true jewel, enjoy.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:30 PM

19,441 posts, read 22,349,223 times
We tried to get a room at the Izzak 2 months ago for a 4 day stay in July (family of 4). Booked solid. We're taking our chances on the drive-up camping on the west side. I'll stay in the forest if need be.

It's good to have a truck camper and tents!

Old 06-06-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We tried to get a room at the Izzak 2 months ago for a 4 day stay in July (family of 4). Booked solid. We're taking our chances on the drive-up camping on the west side. I'll stay in the forest if need be.

It's good to have a truck camper and tents!
It's been years since we stayed there and it was winter. We spent days cross country skiing & it was great. The arriving by train looked like a fun option.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 PM

113 posts, read 164,837 times
Fly into kalispell or Missoula- bozeman is too far of a drive, unles you enjoy driving. Look for hotels in columbia falls, which is closest to the park- kalispell will be your best bet, but you can look into whiefish, Bigfork, somers, or even eureka. The Canadian side is great as well, but you need a passport. As for seeing grizzlies, probably not, but you never know- I saw 2 cubs a few weeks ago near lake Mcdonald lodge. I camped this week in glacier, and will be camping again this week at the park- so you can always do that. I think a convertible would be a neat way to see the park. Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406FIRE309 View Post
Fly into kalispell or Missoula- bozeman is too far of a drive, unles you enjoy driving. Look for hotels in columbia falls, which is closest to the park- kalispell will be your best bet, but you can look into whiefish, Bigfork, somers, or even eureka. The Canadian side is great as well, but you need a passport. As for seeing grizzlies, probably not, but you never know- I saw 2 cubs a few weeks ago near lake Mcdonald lodge. I camped this week in glacier, and will be camping again this week at the park- so you can always do that. I think a convertible would be a neat way to see the park. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you. It seems from what everyone is saying finding hotels can be tough and expensive for sure. We dont mind driving a little ways to get to a hotel if it means we have freedom to come and go when we want but between the limited number of hotels in the area even a ways out that may not be possible. I am not opposed to camping but flying in limits our gear of course. Do you think those towns might be more available to obtain a room like the "day of" if we are traveling and driving?

We did our passports for this summer and this trip was one of the reasons we did in case we can pull it off.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:05 PM

There seemed to be several hotels at Great Falls and reasonable price when I plugged in the dates. Is it to far to use as a base of operation? We dont mind a little drive and then driving all around the park.

Do you think it would book up if we waited until arrival or is it far enough out we might be safe without reservations?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,897,066 times
There are motels in Hungry Horse, Martin City, and Coram.
There are a couple between Coram and West Glacier, IIRC.
There are motels in Columbia Falls, Columbia Heights, Evergreen, Kalispell, and Whitefish.
There are motels in West Glacier, and on U.S. Hwy 2 between West Glacier and Marias Pass.
There are KOA Kampgrounds with Kamping Kabins in the area.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
There seemed to be several hotels at Great Falls and reasonable price when I plugged in the dates. Is it to far to use as a base of operation? We dont mind a little drive and then driving all around the park.

Do you think it would book up if we waited until arrival or is it far enough out we might be safe without reservations?
Montana hotels tend to be full. Do not be disappointed--book accomodations, even cabins at KOA, before you leave home.

Great Falls is much too far to travel back & forth to Glacier. Kalispell would be farthest away, I would stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana