U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,796 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife have been wanting to move to Montana for about two years now, and the only reasons we have not moved to Montana sooner, is because of our families out here.

Yes we are from California, but we are not wanting to move up to Montana and bring a California type life style along with us. Both me and my wife are also not in any place to buy up land, or take land from the people of Montana.

We are looking to rent a place, look for some work, and just live in a smaller place, with like minded people.

In Southern California, there is no work at all. I have been out of work for 2 years down here, and even my brother who's wife is about to give birth, cannot find a job (He is not thinking about Montana though)

We are mainly wondering if we will be accepted in Montana, or if people will try to get us to leave, of make us feel unwelcome.

Please understand, that our intentions are not to move to Montana, without having respect for the state peoples way of living. We just want to be apart of the Montana culture.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,515,020 times
Any way you can take a trip there to any particular areas you might be interested in before you make the choice? I only ask because in a particular state there are a lot of different places to live with different feels to them. You might not fit in one place and may love another.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM

6,388 posts, read 7,428,052 times
Well Castleman711, you probably won't be met with pitchforks and torches at the border if that is what you were worried about

If you don't have a job lined up here, it can be tough. You don't state what kind of work you do, so it is hard to give you some places to look.
We are experiencing the same economic slowdown the rest of the country is, (not as severe perhaps, but it's still affecting us), so good jobs that pay well are few and far between with a lot of competition, so please bear that in mind, and smaller towns have fewer options than the larger ones.

As a rule of thumb, the larger towns are far more populated by people from out of state, the smaller towns are more likely to be more populated by natives, so the attitudes vary widely. I have always found that it is the individual rather than where you come from as the prime determination about how well you are received.

On a general note, if you and your wife are just regular people looking to do your jobs, raise your family, and be a good neighbor, you should have no problems fitting in.

It may take a while to create a new life with friends and put down roots, but this state is not as hostile to try and live in as many I have been to.

Just bring an open mind, a good attitude, and a willingness to become part of the community and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM

40 posts, read 86,631 times
Well, I can only speak from my personal experience, so that's what I'll jot down here, and hopefully some of it will be useful.

I researched a lot before coming to MT, and made an exploratory trip to Helena in May 2009 to get a feel for the place, and to secure an apartment.

Had I felt odd about anything, I would have looked elsewhere, but I felt nothing but peace and tranquility upon arriving. People are disarmingly nice and friendly here.

Securing an apartment turned out to be the easier part, as usually is the case, as it's easier to buy/rent things, than it is to acquire money. I moved in June 2009 and between temp agencies and applying for jobs, it took me until late August 2009 to land a temporary gig. And that's what I still am doing, until college starts. Mind you, Helena is the capital of the state, so it presents more job opportunities than some other cities of similar size. Many people I work with commute from as far away as Lincoln .

A big factor will be your job skills. I would suggest looking at https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek to see if there's anything that might fit the bill for you and your wife. Like MTSilvertip mentioned, having a job lined up helps.

As for your main question. I've been accepted quite readily be the people here, with their main question being "What brought you here?". I treat others well and follow the golden rule. That seems to be the ticket and, if you and your wife think/act similarly, you should have no problem in the people department.

I've probably repeated a lot of what you've already read elsewhere, but it never hurts to hear from someone else who has made the journey.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,796 times
Thanks for everyone's help. It has been great to see how nice everyone has been on this thread to the idea of me and my wife moving up to Montana.

Me and my wife are going to be visiting in August, and we are going to be looking in Helena, and Billings. Helena is the place that we really want to be, but everywhere in Montana looks incredible.

My wife has been a receptionist for the past 4 years, and before I lost my job, I was a welder. But, with being out of work for so long, I believe that my trade skills have diminished extremely. So, right now, I am open to anything.

We are very much looking forward to visiting Montana, and we both hope that we can add two more good people to the already good community that is in Montana.

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM

9,874 posts, read 9,711,463 times
If you have any welding certifications (pipeline, pressure vessel, underwater, etc.) you will be in high demand in many areas of the state. If you can, brush up on your skills before you come. If you are experienced in aluminum welding it would be a plus!
With a power plant, three refineries, and a couple of coal mines in the area, Billings just might be your place.
Good luck.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 PM

92 posts, read 303,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman711 View Post

Yes we are from California, but we are not wanting to move up to Montana and bring a California type life style along with us. Both me and my wife are also not in any place to buy up land, or take land from the people of Montana.

We are mainly wondering if we will be accepted in Montana, or if people will try to get us to leave, of make us feel unwelcome.
I think the biggest irritation comes from people who sell off a $700,000 house and they buy an over-priced ranch house in Montana, which jacks up the price of the surrounding land, which makes it unaffordable for everyone else.

As long as you come to Montana and love it here (and don't complain about no ocean or the lack of a Starbucks on every corner), then you should be fine. Hope you find what you are looking for (is it snow?).

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM

765 posts, read 1,614,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp943 View Post
I think the biggest irritation comes from people who sell off a $700,000 house and they buy an over-priced ranch house in Montana,.
You don't have irritation with the realtor/seller who (over)prices the property? Were that latter party to sell at a lower price, property values wouldn't change.

Do you sympathize with the seller and/or realtor because you presume them to be native Montanans whose actions as such are never really "wrong"?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM

355 posts, read 1,078,839 times
Check out the Bozeman area, the paper has been seeing a greater volume of help wanted ads this past few months. That usually happens when warm weather shows up, but many of these ads are for longer term jobs.

Also as was mentioned above, the eastern part of the state is enjoying increased prosperity because of the oil exploration booming - have heard that it's actually more in North Dakota. The national company I work for has divisions in Bismarck and Fargo, they're looking to hire in-house from surrounding states that aren't as busy. The oil industry has brought $$ in that greatly helps local economies, and if you can deal with the winters there, the cost of living/wage ratio isn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana