U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM

58 posts, read 171,922 times

Advertisements

im looking at a piece of land near roundup , the land is pretty much ready to build on electric , septic plot , well plot etc , so is there any good builders in that area who anyone would recommend ?

also anyone near that area build a house ? how hard is it to get permits and keep the process going ? meaning are the inspectors willing to help you get the job done or do they make you wait weeks before you can continue ?

thanks

ted
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,098,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225digger View Post
im looking at a piece of land near roundup , the land is pretty much ready to build on electric , septic plot , well plot etc , so is there any good builders in that area who anyone would recommend ?

also anyone near that area build a house ? how hard is it to get permits and keep the process going ? meaning are the inspectors willing to help you get the job done or do they make you wait weeks before you can continue ?

thanks

ted
Builders are everywhere and starving right now.... at least here in the NW. Eastern part might be a hair better but I'm sure they're starving over there too! Shouldn't be an issue fining a good one as there are many.

Permit wise, you sound like me when I first started to build coming from one of the toughest places to build in the country, when it came to inspectors and permits . Your permits are issued by the state.... no building permits necessary in MT for what you're doing. And the inspectors (at least the guys servicing the NW area) are more than willing to help you to keep things going..... unlike other areas in the country which it sounds like you are quite familiar with......

Check this out..... Montana DLI - Building Codes

Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM

58 posts, read 171,922 times
i did some reading after i posted , and it looks very easy out there for building , i understand things need to be done a certain way and done right to protect the occupants , but here in pa , its a nightmare with certain things that are relatively easy .

im sure builders are hurting , but i also seen the corners some cut to make the extra buck so id like to avoid that , if i get this property im going to take a trip out there for a few days and ask around see what costs are etc . ideally i would like to build the house after the foundation is in , i get alot of satisfaction building on my own , heck me and my dad put up a 6500sq ft building for my business , we did everything excavation and all. only thing we didnt do was concrete finishing , something about 120yds of concrete didnt appeal to me so i farmed it out . heck if i was closer to MT id bring the dozer and backhoe out and do that myself . lol . but i cant do everything

it looks like the only real inspections are for the septic , electrical and thats it .

thanks
ted

Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM

10 posts, read 41,684 times
We too are looking at building a house in the same area...Did you find out any info on foundations and we are still unsure of our heating plan. Whats your ideas? Have you found any more blogs for asking these type questions? Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,964,493 times
Default Not so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Builders are everywhere and starving right now.... at least here in the NW. Eastern part might be a hair better but I'm sure they're starving over there too! Shouldn't be an issue fining a good one as there are many.
Builders in Northeastern Montana (Sidney, Glendive, Miles City) can't go fast enough. They aren't building residential housing though. They're getting a lot of oil field work but the lots in Glendive are tough to come by and are non-existent in Sidney.

You should be able to get someone from Billings to come to Roundup and do the work. Billings contractors are starting to move out and most of the big firms are regional meaning they do work across the state. The mom & pop's would likely jump at it as they are losing all the small jobs to the bigger firms as most of those jobs have gone away this year outside of the Bakken area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana