Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 61,017 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking on moving out there, to them mountains. Sort of like a business venture. Doing contract work for DirecTV. Was curious to know if it was worth it or not.... Please feel free to give me your opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Default Ask specific questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Vision Comm
I'm thinking on moving out there, to them mountains. Sort of like a business venture. Doing contract work for DirecTV. Was curious to know if it was worth it or not.... Please feel free to give me your opinions...
Again, your question is way too general. Are you asking how the business environment is? What does "sort of like a business venture" mean? Is what worth what?

Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 61,017 times
Was wondering if the move out there was worth it in general..... Wether for business or pleasure....

Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 32,137 times
Default Columbus

I have lived in Columbus for two years and the only thing I regret is that I haven't been here for 20. The people I have met have just been super and eventhough I have to drive 100mi round trip from my house to Billings 5 days a week, I wouldn't trade it.
The weather can be cold, the lowest I've seen here is -20 and since we're on a ridge, we get some pretty good winds-blew the siding off of the neighbor's house and blew down our round pen for the horses.
We have a lot of gravel roads here and they do tend to give your shocks a good workout, that also means dust or mud depending on the season.
We have Direct TV because in a lot of areas you can't get Billings over the air. We have a pretty straight shot dwon the Yellowstone valley and our signal still isn't all that great for local stations.
Our internet is wireless also because the phone lines won't support DSL-it's dial-up only.
In spite of the (minor) hardships,Columbus is a great place to live, but be ready to drive a long ways or do without.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 16,024 times
The native Montanans are welcoming to your face, but they really don't want outsiders and I can't say I blame them. I'm an outsider, and don't worry Montana I'll be leaving as soon as this lease is up.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Vision Comm View Post
First of all, in Montana we say "to those mountains" not "to them mountains".

As far as Columbus, it's not really in the mountainous part of the state. Western Montana is rugged and has big mountains, the eastern part (including Columbus) is plaines and more flat. If memory serves me right, Columbus is in the hilly section between Bozeman and Billings but I wouldn't consider it mountainous.

Be prepared for a culture shock, it's not New York City out here. Try visiting it first to see if you like it, that will tell you a lot.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM

103 posts, read 264,190 times
honestly, the dream of montana, is real, except for the people. Mostly it's suburban attitudes, roads, stores, etc..... in the mountains. If you look out the window, walk up the path, ride down the dirt road or snowboard down a hill....you pretty much forget about the other transients. People from montana treat montana like a sports team...the rivalry and back talk is fierce.....but I don't care about that ****...I came for the mountains so I just ignore it, and focus on what I love... the fresher air, the winding roads, the snow that falls yer round randomly...your kinda on your own out here, but I tend to like that kinda of thing......it all depends on what you expect and if you can get over a few small things to enjoy the grander ones?????/

Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynaebirdy View Post
honestly, the dream of montana, is real, except for the people. Mostly it's suburban attitudes, roads, stores, etc..... in the mountains. If you look out the window, walk up the path, ride down the dirt road or snowboard down a hill....you pretty much forget about the other transients. People from montana treat montana like a sports team...the rivalry and back talk is fierce.....but I don't care about that ****...I came for the mountains so I just ignore it, and focus on what I love... the fresher air, the winding roads, the snow that falls yer round randomly...your kinda on your own out here, but I tend to like that kinda of thing......it all depends on what you expect and if you can get over a few small things to enjoy the grander ones?????/
I suggest you create a new post out on the main forum, this post is a few years old and was started in 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana