Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Ha ha...my friend at work, everyone who comes in, he says, "So, you see any elk on the way in?". See any antelope? Deer? Heck, have to push the deer away from the door practically to get into work.

So beautiful out now, drove to Billings last week, Trees are gold, a bit of red bushes, walked the Sourdough trail yesterday, just a fantastic day for being outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM

160 posts, read 301,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Just found an article in USA TODAY: Just in the last few days, Gov Jerry Brown of CA has signed into law, a complete BAN on ALL "LEAD" ammo including ammo for rifles, handguns and shotguns . Don't know any more details than this.........I'm sure some resident sportsmen from CA can provide more detail.
Absolutely crazy logic.........
The inmates are truly running the asylum here. What’s even more disturbing is that Moonbeam vetoed several bills which are even more ridiculous imo.

My full-time Montana retirement cannot come soon enough.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
This is actually a backdoor gun ban. Non-lead ammo for rifles and handguns is considered "armor-piercing" which to my understanding is prohibited under federal law. So, basically it's outlawed the USE of otherwise-legal guns.

When radicals can't get their agenda passed directly, they use "unintended consequences" exactly like this. It accomplishes the same thing without looking so radical up front.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
It is more EPA than anything. My brother is the range master and the President of a gun club in San Diego. 5 years ago, they were requried to rebuild their ranges to trap 99.9% of the lead. This was an EPA requirement along with the state. They had to keep track of every round fired down range. They then had to compute a weight of what should be in the berms. Turn the berms through sifters and retrieve 99.9% of the lead. All of this has to be proven on paper, and they are inspected every quarter.

I don't remember the dollar figure, but it was in the million's of dollars of work they did to the range in order to rebuild bullet backstops so that they could do that. They have 15, 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle. Several pistol ranges, both static and tactical. Of course, shotgun pits. So it was a pretty extensive rebuild of the ranges and has been ongoing for 5 years now.

So this "No lead" is nothing new, it's been right around the corner for a few years. The question is, how long before it hits your area? You are probably thinking it will be a long time. You are wrong. Right now, can you go bird hunting with lead shot, or is steal shot required in your area? That's the first step.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
So this "No lead" is nothing new, it's been right around the corner for a few years. The question is, how long before it hits your area? You are probably thinking it will be a long time. You are wrong. Right now, can you go bird hunting with lead shot, or is steal shot required in your area? That's the first step.
Once the camel's nose is in the tent, the rest of the camel soon follows.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I knew this government shutdown would affect the honor flight from Billings for our WW II veterans....they still went, but so much is closed in DC...
Honor flight organizers vow not to let shutdown dampen experience

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Good morning Montana forum! I thought I'd stop in and say hi and introduce myself. I've been away from city-data for quite a while until recently, having in the past posted primarily in the Maine forum. I found the forum in March of 2007 while researching a possible move to Montana, and ironically, that is exactly what brought me back about a month ago. My husband has had a few job interviews in a couple of different towns, and has chosen Glendive. In a nutshell, the reason for the choice is the people. We live in a small town in rural coastal Maine. People here look out for each other and take care of each other. The school is pretty good, the teachers know every kid by their name and know the parents too. A quick stop at the grocery store turns into half an hour because we stop and chat. We hoped to find a town like that in Montana, and it looks and feels like we have. We'll be moving out there the first week in November. The hospital will help us with housing to start, and then we'll need to find something.

Admittedly, Glendive, at first glance from thousands of miles away, was not our first choice. There is not a lot online to research about Glendive, so there was nothing really to draw us in. I've read every post on here that mentions Glendive~at least twice~ and the recurring theme was "there's nothing there". I admit where I live now has a Wal-Mart, and it's just recently been turned in a "super" Wal-Mart, and yes it might be convenient. However, one of the local, family run grocery stores (there are 2) might have to close as a result of this, and I've yet to see any local produce in there. Even the apple cider is from New York! Anyway, for "big shopping" we drive 90 miles one way. We understand the "there's nothing there" situation, but I have to admit to laughing at one post that said something like "there's nothing there, the people are nice and the schools are good, but there's nothing there"! I'm laughing again just typing it out!! To me, nice people and good schools are everything, not nothing. I'll take a chat in the grocery store over a JC Penneys anytime!

People have asked us why we chose Montana. It's hard to explain why we've felt a pull toward that region of the country, especially when we've both grown up on the coast of Maine and love it here too. There is just not enough vacation time to satisfy us when it comes to that area of the US. There is no way we can explore and do everything we want to out there while we live tucked away in this part of the US. And, we are tucked away here for sure, in far Downeast Maine, along the Canadian border! I don't know how to explain it and sound rational, so forgive me for not trying! Sorry for being so long winded! Enjoy your day!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Here's another profound article about the 'shutdown' vs national parks (read the whole thing):

Mark Steyn: If a government shuts down in the forest, and nobody hears it, that's the sound of liberty dying

Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
We understand the "there's nothing there" situation, but I have to admit to laughing at one post that said something like "there's nothing there, the people are nice and the schools are good, but there's nothing there"! I'm laughing again just typing it out!! To me, nice people and good schools are everything, not nothing. I'll take a chat in the grocery store over a JC Penneys anytime!
Howdy! Funny story: For many years I lived in the middle of the desert. My nearest neighbor was two miles away (if you can SEE the neighbors, they're too close! ) My sister says to me, "I don't understand why you like this so much. There's nothing here!" And I said, "Exactly! Miles and miles of NOTHING!"

Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I didn't want to make a thread just about this, so maybe this thread is appropriate. This just cracked me up - I was looking at the information about Drummond, MT on Wikipedia, and under Demographics, this is what it says:

The gender makeup of the town was 48.5% boys and 31.5% girls and 20% undetermined.

LOL - I've never seen that before. I'm sure that it's just someone messing around, but still - 20% "undetermined."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana