Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 05:05 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Merry Christmas, fellow Porch Sitters, from the Baby Howling Bounders!
Merry Christmas Reziac, and to all our Montanan friends and neighbors from the old Silvertip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 05:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Happy and a Merry to you, Silvertip, and to anyone else lazing around here today.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:24 PM

We got snow! Well, you kinda gotta squint to see it, but.... White Christmas!

And if yer not done celebratin' yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 PM

Spring is here!! with shinin' sun and bloomin' flowies and chirpin' birdies and....

APRIL FOOLS!!!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 PM

No kidding!

Bunch of Meadowlarks out by my fence trying to start a fire to warm up!!!

From 50 degrees to 7 degrees overnight....

Springtime in the Rockies..........

Old 04-24-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No kidding!

Bunch of Meadowlarks out by my fence trying to start a fire to warm up!!!

From 50 degrees to 7 degrees overnight....

Springtime in the Rockies..........
I already need to mow the lawn.

At least, if it don't get snowed on tonight...

Old 04-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I already need to mow the lawn.

At least, if it don't get snowed on tonight...
Yeah, want to get the garden started, but I know better. We can get frost anytime but until at least May 15 you need a greenhouse or hotbed.

Still, it's been beautiful out there between snowstorms....

Old 04-24-2020, 02:07 PM

I planted all the seeds and potatoes, under the theory that they won't see daylight for at least a couple weeks, so are probably okay. The tender above-ground stuff, tho... that can wait a few more weeks! Also, corn can take a hard freeze so long as it hasn't got its second leaves yet.

Tho... <eyeing rows> ...I think the garden was laid out by a drunk.

Lovely day... wonder if it's dried out enough that I can finish using the big goat on what's supposed to be the orchard, but mostly looks like I'm growing roofing thatch.

Did you get the high winds and hail up there yesterday? we missed the hail but had big thunder. And now instead of three garden sheds, I have two garden sheds and a pile of scrap metal.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:51 PM

No, but we got a beautiful rain at 2:00 this morning. Winds have just been normal in the 10-20 mph range.

Because my new place is very exposed I'm going to try straw bale gardening this year. If you break the sod it makes an opportunity for the wind to start eroding, but with the bales I don't have that problem.
Plus as the bales break down I get good composted soil that will build up over the years.

It takes about 2 weeks to prep the bales with nitrogen, so they should be ready at about the right time.
I've also found a method for growing spuds under loose hay. I'll build a windbreak with solid bales and have the loose hay in the lee so the wind doesn't scatter it.

I haven't grown corn in years as it didn't work at all at my place in Helena, but I think using a method of creating hills without tilling all the sod up, I might be able to grow Indian corn. I want it for cornmeal and parched corn. Don't really use sweet corn.

I may have to construct a windbreak fence to keep the corn from growing sideways, but it's an experiment with the new place. Always takes a couple years to figure out the kinks of a new area.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Well, here's a tool for ya...

https://billings.craigslist.org/grd/...098330846.html

I don't need to bust sod but would probably work just fine for that, on a small scale.

I only grow sweet corn... you can grind it if you let it get totally ripe and dry. Was a big success last year so this year I planted more. No idea what I'd do with flint corn; I don't use enough cornmeal to notice. Popcorn, maybe, if I can find some with thin hulls. (Hate thick hulls!)

My garden is in an old corral with the shotgun shack (unfinished 1920s cabin the first owner moved in) protecting it from the north, and enough boards in the fence to break up the wind from other directions, so the only real problem I have is with the first frost, cold air slides down the hill and burns the tops off everything. Going to try shunting it aside with some plywood on that uphill fence; otherwise it doesn't freeze hard in there til fairly late in the season. The bottom end can get too wet for carrots (tips rot off), but apparently potatoes and corn like to stand in water as they prefer that part.

I put everything in raised rows so I can just flood irrigate between 'em. Probably should put in some rope for the corn, cuz I plant peas with it and they climb up the corn and sometimes pull it over. I start potatoes in pits in the rows so I can just fill in the pits as they grow, instead of having to build mounds over 'em.

If you don't break up the soil, and it's hard enough to be work to dig, veggie roots have a hard time and that can impact your crop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana