Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM

10 posts, read 24,533 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the idea of moving to Montana for a few years. I was born and raised in Michigan and am an avid deer hunter and fisherman, also used to the cold winters, but due to the struggling economy in MI I packed up and took a construction job in South Texas. I have been here only 5 months and I am dying to see trees and snow again. So I guess the only thing that is keeping me from moving to Montana is the chance of finding employment if I move. I have experience as a groundskeeper for baseball fields, managed a carwash/detail shop, powdercoating in MI, and commerical construction in Texas for the past 5 months. I will be heading to the Whitefish area this summer for a fishing trip but looking to live closer to the Bozeman area. Do you think I could find employment with my work experience or is it a long shot. I am turning 30 in a couple weeks and also thinking about going back to school at MSU if I move. Thanks.

Last edited by ollieolb54; 12-04-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
There are several golf courses in the Bozeman area. I'm a working guy, but with a unique niche that took me years to build here in Montana. I can say this though, I've turned down several higher paying jobs in other areas so that I can stay close to home. The way I see it, I'd rather be able to do the things I love on the weekends and make less money, than to make more money and only get to do what I like on planned vacation time, living in a place I don't like the rest of the time.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
It sounds like you are the kind of guy who can learn to do anything. I would suggest trying to get into a machine shop and steer yourself towards CNC programing and set up. Non union indoors work that pays sort of good (D.O.E.)

Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You've got the first thing it takes and that is the willingness to work at whatever it takes.

Try checking into the VA website and see if they have anything available in the area you want. Check fairgrounds, hospitals, retirement homes, etc... for general maintenance and grounds.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well where ever you go.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been laid off a couple times and I'm not the type to sit on my ass and collect free money from the government so I'm always willing to do whatever is necessary to keep working. Money has never been a major priority for me because I pride myself on living as simply as possible so as long as I have a steady paycheck, I can keep myself entertained on the weekends with a rifle, a fishing rod, and a good pair of hiking boots. Looking forward to my fishing trip this summer and hopefully i can pack a little heavier next time to finally leave this desolate, treeless landscape of Texas behind for good.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Hi, not to put you off but I have been talking about this to others in reference to work up here.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - US town with a lot of jobs

I kid you not, they are paying mcd's workers 15.00 per hour. If you are unattached and mobile I say it is the way to go currently.
Good luck!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
There are some jobs available in Bozeman, problem is the economy is still pretty sluggish and if things don't turn around quickly it will be devistating as a lot of the business owners I know have used up their reserves trying to keep going, and if this depression keeps going, they have nothing left to fall back on.

Many of the jobs I have seen advertised as available now don't pay very well, and the cost of housing in Bozeman is pretty high. The costs have dropped in the past year, but still pretty steep.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Serving Southwest Montana Since 1911 is the daily paper online, and gives you some information about jobs and housing as well as the current state of affairs in Bozeman.

Construction is still very sluggish, most of the service industries are slower with less disposable income for their customers, it knocks down volume of meals out, ski trips, movies etc.
Bozeman does have some IT and technology based businesses, but most don't pay the wages the same job would in Seattle or San Fransisco.

If you don't have a lot of expenses, a family to provide for, are willing to live pretty spartan until you get established, yeah, you could probably find a good place to live and work, but I doubt you would just walk into a great high paying job and find a super apartment for a reasonable cost right off the bat.

Do your homework, try to line something up before you come, and you could really enjoy Bozeman. They need hard working employees willing to actually do more than just draw a paycheck.

Good People are always welcome.

Good Luck

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

I've been researching quite a bit and wouldn't move without a job lined up. Thanks for the link to the Bozeman Daily Chronical. I am single with no kids, just me and my basset hound, so when an opportunity comes my way I'll have no problem packing up and moving. I've always lived my life as simply as possible and gotten by with little resources so high pay is not as important to me as is steady work. Right now I'm paying $500/month for a one bedroom apt in Texas. Do you think I could find something for that price in or around Bozeman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman