U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM

947 posts, read 3,441,509 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I know this may sound like an "odd" question/request, so let me explain.

I am looking for someone who would record the local radio stations in each town, KMMR in Malta at 100.1 and KVCK AM/FM in Wolfpoint, on tape and mail them to me. I will supply the cassettes and a postage paid return envelope.

You see, I have no illwill meant or alterior motives.. i simply love hearing local, small town stations and their programming. I've worked at stations like KVCK and KMMR most of my career and thats what I enjoy.

I know KVCK is/was rebroadcast in Glasglow, MT on K296BW at 107.1 FM.

Anyone is welcome to email me, walkerbroadcasting(at)gmail(dot)com if they can help or have any questions.

By the way, emailing me privately would be preferred. Not that I don't wanna check back here for new posts, but the likely hood my absent mind will remember to check.. well, isn't too likely.. lol.

Thanks again for reading and understanding!

Paul
walkerbroadcasting(at)gmail(dot)com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM

8,003 posts, read 14,211,014 times
Do any of these smalltime stations have an internet stream? of course you've gotta have a decent connection to listen, dialup just doesn't cut it.

Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations lists thousands of stations, but I'm not sure how you'd search for small-town radio streams among 'em!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Do any of these smalltime stations have an internet stream? of course you've gotta have a decent connection to listen, dialup just doesn't cut it.

Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations lists thousands of stations, but I'm not sure how you'd search for small-town radio streams among 'em!
Nope, KVCK Radio 92.7 and 1450 do not stream at all.. and KMMR 100.1 Malta only streams sporting events.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Some of the college stations have a stream, KGLT at MSU-Bozeman has had it for years
stream
schedule (http://kglt.net/schedule/schedule.html - broken link)
and I think I saw where one of the major MT stations did too, but that's all I've noticed.

Some of the same people still volunteer at KGLT as when I was there, 30 years ago -- Cara Wilder, Ray Pratt (best blues history show ever), and the Wandering Jew (Barrett Golding) still appears occasionally too. I'm not sure if Al Miller is the same guy as back-when or not (same tastes tho!)

Last edited by Reziac; 12-09-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: CD messes up adjacent links??

Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Some of the college stations have a stream, KGLT at MSU-Bozeman has had it for years
stream
schedule (http://kglt.net/schedule/schedule.html - broken link)
and I think I saw where one of the major MT stations did too, but that's all I've noticed.

Some of the same people still volunteer at KGLT as when I was there, 30 years ago -- Cara Wilder, Ray Pratt (best blues history show ever), and the Wandering Jew (Barrett Golding) still appears occasionally too. I'm not sure if Al Miller is the same guy as back-when or not (same tastes tho!)
ALOT of the small town stations can only afford to stream local high school sporting events because bandwith and royalties are way too expensive... and the regular music licenses for their traditional AM or FM broadcast do NOT cover internet streaming.

That's why I'm interested in KVCK, KMMR, et al because it's very likely no one outside of their local coverage area has ever heard them. I like the uniqueness and local flabvor to small town radio stations.. plus, and this will sound weird..you have to preserve a station and if one ever goes off the air, you don't want it to completely disappear... that's why having recordings is nice

Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM

That's true... Bandwidth can sometimes be scrounged up (donated, whatever), but I've followed the royalty debacle, and it's pretty clear from the utterly unfair financial terms that it's meant to shut down streaming audio as much as possible. I do like Digital Gunfire's release contract -- they only play royalty-free music. (This willingness to work outside the ASCAP/BMI box -- or rather, cage -- probably explains why such a large percentage of streaming audio is for the relatively small darkwave/industrial/EBM genres, too.)

Recordings for posterity is a good point, and not at all weird if you ask me. What will these small local memories be worth to a later generation, in terms of connecting with who and what they were? How much "old time radio" was totally lost because no one taped those live broadcasts? It's the same principle.

(One of my small treasures is a few words in the so-listenable voice of Jack Nordquist, accidentally saved on one of my old KGLT tapes. It reminds me of when KBMN in Bozeman was a delightful independent station, not just another cog in the prefab tape reel industry.)

Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
That's true... Bandwidth can sometimes be scrounged up (donated, whatever), but I've followed the royalty debacle, and it's pretty clear from the utterly unfair financial terms that it's meant to shut down streaming audio as much as possible. I do like Digital Gunfire's release contract -- they only play royalty-free music. (This willingness to work outside the ASCAP/BMI box -- or rather, cage -- probably explains why such a large percentage of streaming audio is for the relatively small darkwave/industrial/EBM genres, too.)

Recordings for posterity is a good point, and not at all weird if you ask me. What will these small local memories be worth to a later generation, in terms of connecting with who and what they were? How much "old time radio" was totally lost because no one taped those live broadcasts? It's the same principle.

(One of my small treasures is a few words in the so-listenable voice of Jack Nordquist, accidentally saved on one of my old KGLT tapes. It reminds me of when KBMN in Bozeman was a delightful independent station, not just another cog in the prefab tape reel industry.)
You put it well, recordings for posterity....recordings won't be worth anything monetarily, but maybe emotionally or something.

It's important to preserve radio and it's history, past/present.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 59,565 times
What I consider to be kind of unfortunate is that most of the small town radio stations around my area have long since gone to mostly satellite program feeds or automation with music and often announcers canned on hard drives. Seems like actual live programs have become limited to sporting events and sometimes drive times. Warm bodies have become too expensive.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspikaroo View Post
What I consider to be kind of unfortunate is that most of the small town radio stations around my area have long since gone to mostly satellite program feeds or automation with music and often announcers canned on hard drives. Seems like actual live programs have become limited to sporting events and sometimes drive times. Warm bodies have become too expensive.

You are right on all counts, trust me, even us radio personalites complain about that too!

A small town radio station with local people is a rarity, but the ones that have them, do it good.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I hate those canned feeds. You can station-hop as you drive down the road and get the same songs and even the same ads at the same time from one station to the next, along with the same announcer. Nothing particularly good or interesting about it, but pap sure is cheap.

I think the day is coming when even that canned announcer is automated -- there is already automated software to write newspaper-type articles. Put that with a text-to-speech program and you could totally automate the entire thing from top to bottom, no radio announcer needed even to create the original feed.

I'm glad someone is preserving what we once had at every radio station across the country, as little as remains of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana