Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 9,281 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my family and I are looking at possible relocating to Montana. WE have quite a bit of time before we do so (years) but I am looking for info, and opinions as where to settle.
I love to hunt, snowboard, and be outdoors so ideally would live within 45 - 1 hour of a nice mountain to snowboard on. I also am in Information and Communication for a living so need to be near a town where I can find a job, I do not mind a commute up to an hour.
I ideally would like to find 20-40 acres (wooded, stream would be great, meadows? ) and build a house on it. Would like to be able to get cable (needed for internet, work) if possible and electricity is a must obviously. Something not in town but outside of town a bit more foot of the hills type place where I can keep a horse and have a small farm on.
Suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
If it may be years before you can move here then you will have plenty of time to visit a few areas of the state to get a feel for the various regions.
Many things will have changed from now to then also so I'm not sure how much of the info you would get here would still apply by the time you get to move.
Another thing to consider is what Montana climate zone you require for what you want to grow if you want to operate a small farm. You might want to start saving now as what it looks like you want to do will cost a large sum of $.
You may be able to buy a place such as you want already built but in need of a bit of fixing up. Building a place from dirt on up will be very costly.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
How much are you willing to pay? Finding a cable ready farm / ranch property is a VERY tall order and would put you VERY close or in major towns.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Yea I know its a tall order and will require a bit of future planning and recognizing areas that will be developed in the future. I really don't have a $ in mind until we sell what we have here and watch the market so what might cost $250,000 might cost $750,000 in 3 years etc...
Mostly I am just looking for feedback as to what AREA(s) I might find what I am looking for.
Outside of Bozeman might be a good spot?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If it may be years before you can move here then you will have plenty of time to visit a few areas of the state to get a feel for the various regions.
Many things will have changed from now to then also so I'm not sure how much of the info you would get here would still apply by the time you get to move.
Another thing to consider is what Montana climate zone you require for what you want to grow if you want to operate a small farm. You might want to start saving now as what it looks like you want to do will cost a large sum of $.
You may be able to buy a place such as you want already built but in need of a bit of fixing up. Building a place from dirt on up will be very costly.
I worked my way through school as a general contractor building house, and as far as farming it wouldn't be my primary source of income to start and we are looking at a few horses, some vegetables etc...
Nothing fancy more a fun project farm. I currently work in the IT industry / project management.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtix View Post
Yea I know its a tall order and will require a bit of future planning and recognizing areas that will be developed in the future. I really don't have a $ in mind until we sell what we have here and watch the market so what might cost $250,000 might cost $750,000 in 3 years etc...
Mostly I am just looking for feedback as to what AREA(s) I might find what I am looking for.
I agree with Rickers, you'll have to come visit. Make Montana your favorite vacation spot, and then start talking with real estate agents. But in a few years you may not even need cable to go online, so your needs may also change.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I agree with Rickers, you'll have to come visit. Make Montana your favorite vacation spot, and then start talking with real estate agents. But in a few years you may not even need cable to go online, so your needs may also change.
Yes we are already working on a vacation to the Bozeman area.
And your correct on the wireless coverage in the future Go go 4G
But Cable is still so darn fast for the money.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
Budget will affect how far out of town you'd have to look to get 20-40 acres, though the right 5-10 acres in the right hands can provide and handle a lot. Anything bigger than a lot will take increasing amounts of time, talents & budget.

As for areas to check out for jobs, real estate and lifestyle, maybe look west of Laurel, at least 15 miles SW of Billings; or maybe somewhere between or near Manhattan to Three Forks, 20-40 miles NW of Bozeman; or say 15 miles or more outside Helena. Outside Great Falls might also be worth a look. A place less pursued can have some advantages on actually getting the job and getting the acreage at the price you can pay. Maybe a place a half hour or further from Missoula could work if you can get a good position there.

If you fix on Montana you some options. If you are flexible enough to consider some of Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota you will have more.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM

213 posts, read 697,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtix View Post
Expect anything outside of Bozeman to cost an arm and a leg. You'd probably find more options, at a more reasonble price, outside of Great Falls, but finding cable / internet hookups would be less likely.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
We run WiFi at the house (10 miles North of downtown Helena), the lowest price option. It's not a speedburner, but I can do streaming video etc no problem. WAAAAY cheaper then cable too. 384kbps for $30 per month (any frequency). You can get 2mbps for $55 per month (2.4 & 5.7 only).

I like this better than the phone company data plans, imho.

Bozeman or Missoula would be my best guesses. Both are nice towns, a bit pricey the closer you get. Belgrade or Manhattan near Bozeman may interest you. Both are near Bozeman but might have some larger acre parcels. Suspect 40 acres would be over 600-800K, maybe more. Depends on water etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana