Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,556 times

Advertisements

My roommate (18) and I (19) are relocating from our home in Ocala, Florida to Flathead county in mid May. We've got our eyes on Whitefish and I was wondering if anyone here knew of job openings or apartment rentals in the area. A one bedroom is perfectly fine though we require something dog friendly for our well behaved, housebroken Australian Shepherd who will be about six months at the time of the move.

As far as employment goes we are both hardworking and dedicated individuals who hold pride in our sense of responsibility. We're extremely versatile and quick learners. I currently work at a Thoroughbred farm, managing, medicating, training and scheduling whilst my roommate is running a steady job at a cafe, baking, making soups/sandwiches, working register and serving coffee.

Both of our jobs require the type of integrity and self discipline we will carry on wherever we find work in Montana. We have resumes and recommendations.

As for housing, we've got a good savings fund and are currently employed with steady income. We've been putting in applications for just about everything so that when we move, it can be into the security of a new job.

Since you've read this far I suppose you may ( or may not ) be wondering about the 'why' of our move. We're more than open to your opinions and thoughts, as we're probably in desperate need of advice.

We're both intellectually talented students who complete semesters with honors. Our test scores are through the roof. I'm an Equine Medicine major and she's studying for EMT/Paramedic. My dream, however, has always been to operate a working cattle ranch. Here in Florida I could finish every ounce of Veterinary school but thats just it - I would still be right here, in Florida, where the industry calls. It just sucks you in, really. Horses are my life, but for the sheer joy of horsemanship. The thoroughbred industry ( which I've found a place in at current ) is not my calling and this is the best and most feasible opportunity for me to get out and change my life in the direction I've always dreamed it would go: North West.

My roommate has lived in Ocala her entire life and, after completing every course she enters at the top of her class, found she hasn't really been content with where her life is going. Until I began exposing her to the equine world and that of ranching.

School has become complacent and monotonous for both of us. It's easy but completely non-stimulating and in all honesty, the degree I'd receive, as formerly stated, would only help root me in my current position.

We have gone over the pros and cons time and time again and we feel this is the best and possibly only chance to take this opportunity in our lives and we're not going pass it up.

Anyhow - if you have any questions, suggestions, advice, criticism, support or words of wisdom, please comment. If you know anyone who may be able to help us out as far as housing or employment goes, feel free to email me at Gillerose@gmail.com

- G & C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grose91 View Post
My roommate (18) and I (19) are relocating from our home in Ocala, Florida to Flathead county in mid May. We've got our eyes on Whitefish and I was wondering if anyone here knew of job openings or apartment rentals in the area. A one bedroom is perfectly fine though we require something dog friendly for our well behaved, housebroken Australian Shepherd who will be about six months at the time of the move.

As far as employment goes we are both hardworking and dedicated individuals who hold pride in our sense of responsibility. We're extremely versatile and quick learners. I currently work at a Thoroughbred farm, managing, medicating, training and scheduling whilst my roommate is running a steady job at a cafe, baking, making soups/sandwiches, working register and serving coffee.

Both of our jobs require the type of integrity and self discipline we will carry on wherever we find work in Montana. We have resumes and recommendations.

As for housing, we've got a good savings fund and are currently employed with steady income. We've been putting in applications for just about everything so that when we move, it can be into the security of a new job.

Since you've read this far I suppose you may ( or may not ) be wondering about the 'why' of our move. We're more than open to your opinions and thoughts, as we're probably in desperate need of advice.

We're both intellectually talented students who complete semesters with honors. Our test scores are through the roof. I'm an Equine Medicine major and she's studying for EMT/Paramedic. My dream, however, has always been to operate a working cattle ranch. Here in Florida I could finish every ounce of Veterinary school but thats just it - I would still be right here, in Florida, where the industry calls. It just sucks you in, really. Horses are my life, but for the sheer joy of horsemanship. The thoroughbred industry ( which I've found a place in at current ) is not my calling and this is the best and most feasible opportunity for me to get out and change my life in the direction I've always dreamed it would go: North West.

My roommate has lived in Ocala her entire life and, after completing every course she enters at the top of her class, found she hasn't really been content with where her life is going. Until I began exposing her to the equine world and that of ranching.

School has become complacent and monotonous for both of us. It's easy but completely non-stimulating and in all honesty, the degree I'd receive, as formerly stated, would only help root me in my current position.

We have gone over the pros and cons time and time again and we feel this is the best and possibly only chance to take this opportunity in our lives and we're not going pass it up.

Anyhow - if you have any questions, suggestions, advice, criticism, support or words of wisdom, please comment. If you know anyone who may be able to help us out as far as housing or employment goes, feel free to email me at Gillerose@gmail.com

- G & C
I am not going to sugar-coat my opinion. FINISH SCHOOL! You will have a myriad of opportunities and more leverage to accept or turn down jobs. Becoming a Vet will allow you more choice geographically, as well as the capital to acquire your own ranch or practice if you prefer.

My personal experience was being perceived as "poor white trash" growing up in the ghetto of LA. In terms of intelligence and academic performance, my situation was similar. Even if I would have had the money to relocate out of LA, without my education I would have never fully realized my potential. In fact I may have ended up shot or incarcerated. With 19 years of advanced training I have been able to teach medical school, work as a research medicinal chemist, become a VP in a large health care firm, and successfully run a consulting business for the past twenty five years.

Looking back on my career I have no regrets for pursuing my education.
What started out as a "means-to-an-end", blossomed into a challenging process that allowed me to help others while advancing myself.

We have a lot of "hardworking and dedicated" young people working on ranches here, but as hard as they try they will struggle every day of their lives. Most don't have the talents or opportunities that you do. Set your goals high, finish school, and there is no limit to what you can accomplish. I hope you end up as a well respected veterinarian with a thriving ranch in Montana. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

213 posts, read 697,017 times
I understand why you want to move to Montana, but I'm wondering what made you decide on Whitefish? Whitefish is best known as a resort community - which means it's going to be a lot more expensive to live. Also, there is no college, if either of you decide to go back to school. Finally, while there is some ranching in all areas of Montana, Whitefish would certainly not be the first place that comes to my mind if I'm looking for employment on a working ranch. It's more of a skiiers paradise.

GLS had good advice - that it would make sense to finish school first. To my knowledge, none of the colleges in Montana offer a veterinary medicine degree, so if you get here and decide you wished you'd finished, you're sort of out of luck. If you still decide to move first, you really should expand your options to other areas of the state and be open to moving to where you can find the ranching job.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
What they said!!! Being an educator myself, let me whisper in your ear that getting a diploma/degree isn't only a means to the end of getting a job within a certain field--it is also proving to the world that you can finish what you started. You'll find so many more opportunities opening up (even in fields you may not even have considered) if you have finished school, rather than if you show up with nothing but a ton of good will. And, as arbitrary and unfair as it may be, you'll also be met with more respect, especially in a place with overall more traditional values such as rural Montana. So especially since you're both A-students, don't throw that away. You're both young, Montana isn't going anywhere, and the ranching business is in a deep recession now, anyway. Bide your time, learn more, and then go for your dreams.

But don't let that hold you back from spending summers in Montana until you're done with school. If you can combine a vacation with a summer job (can be hard to find, though), you could do some exploring yourself, and perhaps establish some connections for when you're ready to make the move.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grose91 View Post

- G & C
The (3) responses you received as of 7:09 tonight could not be more correct.

I am almost 79 and worked my way through college (1950/1954).......it was the best decision I have ever made. If I were in your position today.......I would definitely finish college.....get that degree! It took me 3 part-time jobs to get through school....and many-a-time I thought: " I don't know if I can get through this". But, then my mother and friends of my mother would say: If you quit now.....it will turn out to be the biggest mistake of your life!!

After 39 1/2 yrs of a successful career in the Industrial Field, I was able to retire at 62 and begin to really enjoy the "fruits-of-my-efforts".

Don't be foolish.......stick it out....you'll never regret it. And in addition to whatever degree you end up with..........you will have "developed-your-mind" (in general) to an extent that would not have occurred, if you bail out now!

Oh, and one other thing: " Flathead County, MT has one of the highest "unemployment rates in the state". Over the last 12 months, it (the REAL RATE) has been between 14 and 17 %!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
So now that everybody is done teaching moral standards, how's the housing in Flathead County?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
So now that everybody is done teaching moral standards, how's the housing in Flathead County?
......Hey EH, what's with this "Spots, WY".............. I thought it was Ramchester, WY

Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Hey EH, what's with this "Spots, WY".............. I thought it was Ramchester, WY
I live in Spots. The other day, I started to town and slid in the ditch. I called the road report and it said, "Slick in Spots." So I figured they renamed the town.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Moving with a degree is far safer than not as said above.

Depending on how sure you are and how much stuff you have, maybe try to get summer jobs at a dude ranch for one summer and then re-assess what's next. Either get the rest of your stuff at the end of the summer and say goodbyes back home after a return visit or do Florida or somewhere else for at least a little while longer. If you haven't been in Montana for at least weeks at a time I'd say it might be better to pull a short-term assignment first before doing a full permanent move but it is your big call.

If you decide to try the summer first with horse skills, safety skills and food service skills between you I'd think you could be attractive summer work candidates. If you do very well, you might have an outside shot to move into something permanent somewhere if you get some local recommendations going and hustle for it in the right way.

If you haven't already check out the community college in nearby Kalispell:
Flathead Valley Community College: FVCC Home
They have a paramedic program. I saw a blurb that they are investigating setting up a vet tech program but that could take years or stay on the shelf.
Takes 1 year residency to qualify for in-state tuition.

Have a back-up financial reserve you don't plan to need to touch right away and think a bit about plan B options if things don't go the way you'd hope the first 6-12 months. Like filling leave of absence forms from your current academic programs instead of just walking away if that is needed for a possible re-start.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times
I thank you all very much for words of advice. After a good deal of consideration we agree it really isn't a good idea to be rash about this decision. We've can afford accommodations for the summer and we're both still applying for jobs. In the long run, we believe the majority who have commented definitely have the experience and wisdom enough to give us such advice and it would be silly of us not to take it.

Though it did lead me to inquire about schools, particularly FVCC. ( Thanks for the link, NW Crow! ) C is actually looking into both the Paramedic and the Nursing program, as it seems a lot of nursing opportunities are available. ( So says mt.gov... generally reliable? )

also, the reason we are looking at Whitefish is because of several close friends in Calgary who have a cabin we could use temporarily on the outskirts of Glacier National. Though we're probably going to expand our search.

I want to thank you all again for your replies, and please keep them coming. It's difficult to make an educated decision when the only experience we have is vacation esq, and we truly value any tidbit of advice that will help us get where we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana