U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 8,001 times

Advertisements

Hello, I visited the Flathead valley last year in the fall on a photo trip and absolutely loved it. I am 32 and my background is in wildlife biology/ conservation and I am a wildlife artist on the side. I live East right now and with all the people and not much wild spaces the wildlife jobs are pretty scarce, so I have not been able to work in my field for the past 4 years..which is terribly depressing. plus it is way too crowded for my taste so I need to go back my heart and inspiration is. I don't know if the wildlife jobs are mostly around Yellowstone, it seems like it but I have a feeling the homes are really pricey there and there must be a lot of competition as everyone with a wildlife background want to work in Yellowstone.
I absolutely love the outdoors, the mountains, the remoteness, Art and cold winters. I could work any type of job really to start: cafe jobs, pet stores...whatever, until the right job comes along. I prefer jobs in the field, doing survey, taking sample, or could become a park ranger. I am a female though and in some places I know they prefer males for this type of job. Can any one give me any insight if there might be wildlife/outdoor job in the Flathead area as my eyes are set on living near Glacier ? any tips on where to look for those types of jobs?
Thanks a million in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM

213 posts, read 650,266 times
Keep in mind that the Flathead Valley already has an overabundance of wildlife artists and photographers, so if you want to go that route, you won't be bringing anything unique to the area. On the flip side, if you're good, there are already a lot of established outlets for getting your work out there.

Being a woman shouldn't have a negative affect on Park Ranger jobs - since they are government jobs they are equal opportunity and highly qualified females tend to do quite well. However, I believe there is a lot of competition for permanent full time positions in the parks, so unless you bring some solid education and/or work history relevent to the position, it might be a long shot. Here's a website that has more info on National Parks jobs: National Park Service: Employment Information

Seasonal jobs are fairly plentiful in and around Glacier, with all the tourism. Most of what you find is will be in the service sector (hotels, restaurants, etc), and are summer only. Yellowstone may be a better bet for finding year round employment since Yellowstone tends to attract more winter recreation than Glacier.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks Bongo403 for your reply.
I am aware of the artist population in the area but i am willing to take the challenge. I do believe I can bring something fresh to the type of Art that is already out there.
As for the parks jobs, I do have a pretty solid resume between my Masters degree and lots of field experience. I am surprised though to hear that Yellowstone was open year round, I guess I knew they did wolf tours but I thought it was for company that had special permits only.
thanks for your feedback. I have now to do more search on jobs in both areas.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

213 posts, read 650,266 times
Yellowstone does the snowmobile / snow coach tours, I believe they are done by private contractors that have permits to operate in the park, so the park isn't open in the winter the same as it is in the summer. But however it's done it still brings tourists to the area year 'round.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM

6,442 posts, read 10,820,719 times
You may want to get in touch with the Scotchman Peaks Plein Air Paint Out event organizers; the event attracts artists from all over the NW, and once you're in the Flathead area, the MT/ID border isn't far away. It's a good way to get exposure and meet people! I've seen wildlife paintings displayed at the gallery in Hope (ID), too.
Third Annual Scotchman Peaks Paint Out proves artistic success. | Scotchman Peaks Wilderness

Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

451 posts, read 920,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkeen View Post
Hello, I visited the Flathead valley last year in the fall on a photo trip and absolutely loved it. I am 32 and my background is in wildlife biology/ conservation and I am a wildlife artist on the side. I live East right now and with all the people and not much wild spaces the wildlife jobs are pretty scarce, so I have not been able to work in my field for the past 4 years..which is terribly depressing. plus it is way too crowded for my taste so I need to go back my heart and inspiration is. I don't know if the wildlife jobs are mostly around Yellowstone, it seems like it but I have a feeling the homes are really pricey there and there must be a lot of competition as everyone with a wildlife background want to work in Yellowstone.
I absolutely love the outdoors, the mountains, the remoteness, Art and cold winters. I could work any type of job really to start: cafe jobs, pet stores...whatever, until the right job comes along. I prefer jobs in the field, doing survey, taking sample, or could become a park ranger. I am a female though and in some places I know they prefer males for this type of job. Can any one give me any insight if there might be wildlife/outdoor job in the Flathead area as my eyes are set on living near Glacier ? any tips on where to look for those types of jobs?
Thanks a million in advance.
With your expressed willingness to adapt and your perceived (great) attitude that the world does not owe you anything and you are not entitled to start at the CEO's level you'll do fine, akkeen.

In fact, since you are only 32 years old, hurry up an move to Montana. We need your help long term in paying our Real Estate and Income Taxes!

Good luck and welcome.

mg

PS - Go to PBS Montana online and watch the "Backroads of Montana" shows. They stream pretty quickly and will tell you much about areas of this state that an artist needs to know.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks Clark Fork fantast, I will look into the Art program, it is great idea for exposure, I had never heard of it.

Montygarlic, thank you for the encouragement and the montanaPBS link. I checked it out, it seems they have tons of videos to watch online but for some reason it does not play any image on my computer, the screen stays black. maybe i need to download something extra to watch them.

as for the real estate in the Flathead Valley, well I had been told only millionaires could live near whitefish so I started to feel very worried. I looked at a few sites and for the same amount of money you really get a much better house with a couple acres then we do here in the East...So to me this is VERY positive!!

Last year already when I was looking for jobs in the area I found some jobs at the West Glacier entrance , where you work at sort of a visitor center and tell people about both parks : Glacier and Waterton and they needed someone who speak french , which i do as my parents are french. well i cannot find which company it was for, defenitely not the park service, it think it was something Alberta.... Is it pretty common to have french speaking people jobs in the area because of the proximity with Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana