U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,016,311 times

Advertisements

26 warrants issued in Monday pot raids, remaining businesses vow resilience - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Seems to be a hot topic around here these days.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM

451 posts, read 936,988 times
This is why you need a real good Sheriff elected in each County - one who doesn't take orders from the Feds - knows he serves the people.

If there are good reasons to seek arrest and prosecution, fine. The Sheriff should be able to know that because he knows his county, his peeps.

But 'guns drawn' for growing marijuana in a licensed facility? These guys are off track.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

6,482 posts, read 7,559,100 times
According to what I am seeing in the reports, Local Law Enforcement was there to monitor the raids.

Per this article, the affected shops were not following the "law" in Montana either and these busts were for basically dealing dope in the usual manner.

The investigation took place over 18 months.

Marijuana raids built on years of investigation, yield millions in cash

It would appear from this story at least, the busts didn't even touch folks with the issued cards, just the ones abusing the system.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,016,311 times
It seems to me, that the medicinal marijuana situation in Montana has opened the doors to organizations that grow here and sell in other places underground, with a perfect cover business... They can have pot on site without fear of someone seeing it. It's brought gangs, criminal enterprises etc... to main street Montana. They didn't bust dispensaries that were following state law, just those that were caught buying from illegal sources to re-sell, and selling to people without cards. Did they not think that the Feds would be watching?

The operations that were found to be conducting business on the up and up were NOT raided. Just the ones suspected of interstate commerce of an illegal substance, tax evasion etc...

It's such an emotional issue to some people that they respond without looking at the facts first... It's like the want to believe the government wants to destroy all those that have partaken of a little mj..

This isn't about cancer patients that can still get it if they need it, it's not about people with MS, it's not even about hippies sitting around in drum circles..

It's about peoples ability to follow even the vaguest of laws, and the temptation of easy money under the table that caught up with some. If we have to pay our taxes whether by our payroll deductions or on our small businesses, shouldn't these people?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,306,562 times
Screw the feds.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM

2,085 posts, read 3,520,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Screw the feds.
Thank you for your insightful and thought provoking comments, NYMTman.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,306,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Thank you for your insightful and thought provoking comments, NYMTman.
You're welcome.

First they take our pot, then they take our guns. Then they'll come after you and me.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,496,963 times
Are you serious? First our pot? The whole "medical marijawana" episode has gotten way out of hand. I could go to a participating doctor with a cold and get a green card. The pot shops are in cahoots with those doctors so therefore, so illegal activity is at hand. I for one have witnessed a man in our town not even a block from our school, growing the pot OUTSIDE, IN PLAIN SIGHT next to his house. Sure he had his "legal" number of plants but for crying out loud, kid's walk by his house to go home from school. Who's keeping an eye on the pot to ensure high schoolers don't sneak some of his pot? If you say it's the parents responsibility, you are dead wrong. The pot was on private property and therefore, the pot owners responsibility. It was gone in week thanks to local law enforcement. This guy claims bad back yet rides snowmobiles, 4-wheelers and hunts very intensely. I know he for one can take his green card and shove it.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 PM

16,153 posts, read 19,119,541 times
Honestly this state has a WORSE issue with alcohol than where I came from (West Virginia).. Pot is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more tame than Oxycodone issues in Appalachia.

As far as I'm concerned pot is about 10 steps below the rampant DUI issues in MT, and certainly less of an issue than Meth or Oxy.

BUT- if the shops raided were in direct violation of interstate commerce rules and their activities smack against a states legal right to ban such substances- well they had it coming. No one is above the law. No one.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,027,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
It seems to me, that the medicinal marijuana situation in Montana has opened the doors to organizations that grow here and sell in other places underground, with a perfect cover business... They can have pot on site without fear of someone seeing it. It's brought gangs, criminal enterprises etc... to main street Montana. They didn't bust dispensaries that were following state law, just those that were caught buying from illegal sources to re-sell, and selling to people without cards. Did they not think that the Feds would be watching?

The operations that were found to be conducting business on the up and up were NOT raided. Just the ones suspected of interstate commerce of an illegal substance, tax evasion etc...
Yes, they thought the Feds weren't going to be watching.

I'm hoping that there are a lot of RICO charges on this. That way, just about everything these people own will come up for auction in 3 years (it takes that long between the trials and the fed's setting the auction up). I wonder how many homes in Bozeman and Western Montana will be up for sale due to these shysters.

A prime example of why MM should be fine but it can't be because of DB's like this, it can't be accomplished.

@magoomafoo: Is the pot plant within 1000 feet of a school? That could be a Federal charge that the Obama administration will still enforce. See if the neighbor could get a noxious weed charge from the county too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>