Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times

Advertisements

As one who visits the great state of Montana in the Fall and trys to catch a trout or two while in the area, was wondering about the latest developments on this possible legislation as I understand it could potentially have a big impact on stream/river access for all fishermen ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
For those of you not familiar with HB 309, you can read it HERE.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

189 posts, read 335,690 times
It seems to say that you can't fish or boat on a pond or stream unless God put it there.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It is saying that fishermen, cannot enter a persons property to fish in their stock ponds, irrigation holding ponds, in the irrigation ditches that are owned by the farmers and the irrigation suppliers and these are private property. In other words, fishermen will not be able to use privately owned privately installed systems of ponds and ditches, that are there for private use only.

Fishing will still be permitted in natural lakes, streams and creeks.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Isn't it called the Huey Louis and the 'get the hell off my property' News bill?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 AM

152 posts, read 330,953 times
It isn't certain the effect it will have on Mitchell Slough, but I have seen many, many, many, streams and rivers here in the valley and in the NFs with some but not so many people as to cause an overcrowding. Yet, there never seems to be a limit to the desire to find another place to fish. I am starting to think that there is a serious addiction problem with fly fishing.

When I meet other men of slightly more liberal bent in their 50's and older they almost all ask "do you fish." A similar experience to when I was in college someone would say do you want to party or do you have weed." I am never asked if I hunt. Now isn't that interesting.

My brother in law is obsessive about it. He literally pulled out his rod and fished the pond on the 9th hole. I like photography, but I didn't think golf was a good time to start shooting photos.

So I view the rancor and fuss over this bill and frankly the initial suit and decision as this addiction on a mass scale. Legally it might have been a correct decision, but is there ever a limit to all this intrusion in the name of catching a fish. I think if there was a modern incarnation of the Communist Party in Montana the hammer and sickle would be replaced with a trout.

Yes, I am being quite glib. I want people to enjoy themselves, but shouldn't there be even the slightest bit of shame with feeling you have a right to access what another person thought was his and his alone for many, many years? Or is the answer: no comrade, there are fish in there!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM

189 posts, read 335,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
I am starting to think that there is a serious addiction problem with fly fishing.
Hi, I'm Klapton, and I'm a fly fishing addict. I had a bad episode last night. I couldn't sleep, so I got up and started tying flies again. The dog knows not to bother me when I'm tying, so he went and woke my wife to take him outside. So... she caught me in the middle of a stonefly nymph.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM

152 posts, read 330,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
Hi, I'm Klapton, and I'm a fly fishing addict. I had a bad episode last night. I couldn't sleep, so I got up and started tying flies again. The dog knows not to bother me when I'm tying, so he went and woke my wife to take him outside. So... she caught me in the middle of a stonefly nymph.

That is hilarious.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Learning how to fly fish is on my 'bucket list'..

Unfortunately if I pick up yet another 'hobby' along with Scouts, camping, hunting, motorcycling, dirt biking, etc.. Divorce might wind up on my wife's bucket list.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Learning how to fly fish is on my 'bucket list'..

Unfortunately if I pick up yet another 'hobby' along with Scouts, camping, hunting, motorcycling, dirt biking, etc.. Divorce might wind up on my wife's bucket list.
Just think of the song "I'm goiing to miss her".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana