Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:12 AM

9 posts, read 40,587 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm still searching for a decent accommodation not far from Little Bighorn.

Some accommodation places don't bother with a reply, others reply but their area is apparently not recommended, i e Crow Agency.

There is a lodge near Broadus calles Oakwood. That place has no website and apparently no email either, I found it on a the Montana tourism website. The images look nice but hell I need some more infos. The tourism website gives an email address, probably one of Oakwood's neighbours. Nobody answers my several mails. It seems that Montana is still very much wild west.

I'm living in South Africa, I just can't call the guesthouses in Montana, it's way too expensive. Is anyone familiar with Broadus and even the Oakwood lodge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Broadus Montana is a very small town of about 450 people. It is 108 miles from the Little Bighorn.

I would suggest taking a look at Billings. Billings is only about 70 miles and is a very large town with lots of ammenities. Hundred of motels, hotels, Bread and Breakfast places.

I don't know anything about the place you are asking about. Sorry.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM

Thank you EH, Broadus is very close to many other battlefields, near the Custer National Forest. I'm not keen living in a city, a small town would be just fine.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyMoon View Post
Thank you EH, Broadus is very close to many other battlefields, near the Custer National Forest. I'm not keen living in a city, a small town would be just fine.
Then I'd look at Sheridan Wyoming. Again, less then 70 miles from Little Bighorn.

Within 20 miles of Sheridan is Connor Battlefield, Wagon Box Battlefield, Fedderman Battlefield, and Fort Phil Kearny, etc.

Lots of ammenities, more to see and enjoy.

Most of the battlefields you will find in Broadus area are going to be a small rock monument along the side of the road. No tours, nothing to see but that sign on the monument. Around Sheridan, you can walk out through the battlefields and in some cases, people can give you a tour.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Broadus is small place but pretty well known as a hunting destination for many. There's not much there and not mucch to do, and for some reason that appeals to me if I were on holiday.

I drove through Broadus on my way out to Helena last April when I moved here. A prairie chicken flew in front of my truck and unfortunately didn't make to the other side of the road..

I'd be a gamer and try it out. I'll see if anyone here at work knows about the place you mentioned..

Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
An e-mail is listed here Oakwood Lodge

This is the most ownership info I could find
Oakwood Lodge B & B - Broadus, MT - Hotel in Broadus, Montana

Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
An e-mail is listed here Oakwood Lodge

This is the most ownership info I could find
Oakwood Lodge B & B - Broadus, MT - Hotel in Broadus, Montana
Thank you for your help. I know that email address, have written them several times but never received a reply. In the meantime I'm under the impression that we in South Africa are far ahead as far as the tourism industry is concerned. What I have received so far from Custer Country is very basic, hardly worth reading it.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyMoon View Post
Thank you for your help. I know that email address, have written them several times but never received a reply. In the meantime I'm under the impression that we in South Africa are far ahead as far as the tourism industry is concerned. What I have received so far from Custer Country is very basic, hardly worth reading it.
That's because you picked an area that is NOT a tourist area. Very sparsley populate and nothing to draw tourists to. It's an outstanding hunting and fishing area, but most hunters and fisherman keep their area's a secret. There is no mountains, no cities for night life, etc. So there is not a lot to draw folks to that area.

The lodge you picked, may be closed after hunting season and not open again until the start of tourist season in the summer, so there may not be anybody to answer those emails.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
FoggyMoon, a couple of things:
For one thing, South Africa is approx. three times the size of Montana, but with a population of almost 50 million, compared to Montana's barely one million people. Our states run their own tourism campaigns, and the area you're interested in is not exactly a mega-tourist spot; it is for truly interested people who generally are willing to go out of their way to have a great experience. If you were interested in, say, San Francisco or Las Vegas, you'd be inundated with information.
For another, when people visit the American West it is generally expected that they are aware of the enormous distances of wide open spaces. For a South African that may be a common experience, too, but not necessarily if you're more used to traveling in Germany. I have a feeling that you would prefer not to have to drive too far between the hotel and the Battlefield (which would be the European way of planning a vacation), but unless you find a sightseeing/bus tour that will take you from place to place, you will have to do some driving if you want to experience the area. I speak from experience, because my first trip out West, way back in the 20th century was on a Greyhound bus. If you drive, and want to see the battlefields of MT and WY, you're really better off staying in Sheridan. If you want to spend several days at the Little Bighorn Battlefield itself, then just pick the nearest place in Hardin for the night.

PS Just saw EH's post. What he said!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

CFF and EH, what you said was an eye-opener, thanks. I didn't know that that part of the world is still very remote, now I'm even more keen to visit it. By the way, I'm also a hunter. Because I'm living in South Africa I'm used to long distances, no problem at all but because I want to see as many battlefields as possible I thought it might be better to stay close to them. I don't like to see all of them in one day, quickly rush from one to the next but spend enough time to get the feeling, if you know what I mean.

Another thing, I gonna be on my own and I'm not the youngest anymore. It's pretty boring to travel long distances without a partner. It might be the best to hire a local guide who is specialized in the battlefields, from him I could learn many interesting facts. I got in contact with one already, he has an excellent reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana