Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM

114 posts, read 251,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'm not moving to escape any crime or the city or to change anything.

I do not need to justify where I live to you or anyone else.

Why don't you move out of MT so there will be more open space or one more job? Tear down your home and return it to nature so the wildlife has a place to live.
LOVE your response(s). :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,278,271 times
Anybody who survived this past winter in NW Montana and are still staying are hardy folk who deserve to stay.

Seriously, that was a gnarly winter. I met a gal from Arlee (pop. ~600) who said there were four suicides triggered by that winter in her town.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:33 PM

147 posts, read 267,785 times
I just hear fear of people moving to Montana and changing the culture. It seems to be the same everywhere except cities.....where it is understood that you cant control who goes and does what. Not in my back yard is conservative america....I like it how it is ism. I hear the same thing in New Hampshire....its the same, as long as you conform or agree with me we are all good. Fortunately the world doesnt work off one person's opinion.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,907,768 times

Old 07-06-2017, 01:03 PM

8,893 posts, read 20,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Lately the threads from people wanting to move here to escape big city life, people, crime and live in harmony with nature have been multiplying at an alarming rate. While I'm not going to be one of those "locals" who tell others not to come, I would like to explain something very simple.

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Montana is going to become exactly what you left behind.
Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces. Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.

Yes we have an abundance of "nature", and that nature is going to disappear when you come and build your home in that subdivision.

Yes we have wildlife beyond belief. That subdivion your home was built on just forced whatever wildlife that was living there to relocate to another area in which it's competing with other wildlife and it's chances of survival are slim. No, I am not a "bunny hugger", I hunt, fish ect... No I'm not a "tree hugger", we are a timber industry family.

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining how those wanting to move here should "come in the winter", "have a job lined up", "be prepared for the weather", "driving in winter is not a treat" ect, ect, ect...... Those threads are started so that we don't end up answering every single thread by those wanting to move here and there are new ones everyday.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces? Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
I, a former pro-rodeo roper, currently living in northeastern Florida, know exactly what you are talking about. We chose, and a bad choice at that, to live here where the population of this city is over 1 million. We really thought we like it here with boating, fishing and no snow/ice, but we were wrong. It's taken 9 1/2 years to figure out that. For 5 1/2 years, we lived south of Denver, Colorado and really liked it. Freshwater boating/fishing, rodeo action, going to the "rut" in RMNP, etc., etc.. I actually started my rodeo career in So California, but wife and I are originally from Indiana and Michigan. When we "transplanted" to Colorado, there was nothing we wanted to change about the Front Range.

As for me, I've been in your beautiful state, but unlike some former "big city" folks, I was wearing Wrangler jeans, a Resistol hat and Roper brand boots. I was in both Bozeman and Billings. Even took in a day at the Billings Livestock Auction. Montana aka "Big Sky Country" is great, but what you say in this OP is very true. Just hope most people who are thinking about moving there, read and understand this.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,278,271 times
The sad fact is that humans basically colonize and destroy natural places, then move on to fresh ones and do it again. We generally do not consider the future consequences of our actions.

No doubt before Easter Island was stripped of every one of its 21 species of trees, some wise elder stood up and suggested maybe it was time to stop cutting them down.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,105,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Anybody who survived this past winter in NW Montana and are still staying are hardy folk who deserve to stay.

Seriously, that was a gnarly winter. I met a gal from Arlee (pop. ~600) who said there were four suicides triggered by that winter in her town.
Just as a point of information: this past winter was actually about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10. Nothing like a couple in the early 1980s down here in the Bitterroot: I took some photos of two different thermometers on a tree 20 feet on the West side of my house:....38 below zero!......... A few years later I had 35 inches of snow on my 600 foot driveway that then becomes a lane at my gate that goes another mile and a half out to the mailbox on the county gravel road. Bear in mind I am in the "snow shadow" formed by the Bitterroot range
that is just one half mile to the west of my location, 3559 elevation.
I started camping (summer vacations & late fall hunting)on this ground in 1975 when I bought these 14 acres that I had to cut a 1.5 mile access lane to get to my property line on the east side. 4 years later I took 11 months off from my job to build my house........then went back to work for another 13 years in my previous type of job (about 90% travel) and finally retired at age 62 in early 1994. My job requirements AND my never-ending quest to continue to enjoy all the various types of hunting and fishing that I could take advantage of in 16 Western States, as well as Alaska, Alberta, the Yukon and British Columbia.
Yeah, last winter can't compare to some I've experienced here in western Montana and Idaho.
I'm a lucky guy:...worked 40 yrs; loved my job; loved my wife of 51 years; love where I live; and wouldn't change a thing
I've done and accomplished over these last 85 years.
CARPE DIEM ,it's later than you think!

Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
The sad fact is that humans basically colonize and destroy natural places, then move on to fresh ones and do it again. We generally do not consider the future consequences of our actions.

No doubt before Easter Island was stripped of every one of its 21 species of trees, some wise elder stood up and suggested maybe it was time to stop cutting them down.
When anti-social conservatives and enviro-fanatics speak the same language...

Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,485,239 times
I agree, the most recent winter was maybe a 4 on scale of 10 being worst.

When it gets forty below and remains, then it's a bad winter.

Usually we get either deep snow or cold temperatures, but rarely both.....when that occurs it is a 10.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozintime View Post
I just hear fear of people moving to Montana and changing the culture. It seems to be the same everywhere except cities.....where it is understood that you cant control who goes and does what. Not in my back yard is conservative america....I like it how it is ism. I hear the same thing in New Hampshire....its the same, as long as you conform or agree with me we are all good. Fortunately the world doesnt work off one person's opinion.
You're pretty spot-on here, frozintime.

Living in New Hampshire, you probably know a thing or two about the kind of NIMBY-ism we live with in Montana! I couldn't tell you whether or not transplants are worse in than native Montanans in this regard, they're both so awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana