Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 22,962 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just wanted to throw a question out there in regards to the cost of living in Missoula. I was recently offered a job in Missoula and would like to go, however I have some concerns about money. I have a nice sized amount saved in the bank, and can afford to go in the red for a while, however what I would be paid will only give me around $100/week (actually around $75 to start, a little more in a few months) for money outside of other fixed costs...like rent, student loan payments, etc.

Is it even possible to live on this amount in the city. I would like to go but if my standard of living is going to drop a lot(my current job pays nearly twice as much) and if I can't participate in the activities that I want to move there for, then I can't really see myself leaving my current position.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM

448 posts, read 1,067,419 times
Check web or paper for rental costs, registration is kind of expensive, no sales taxes, food, fuel comparable to other states.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM

213 posts, read 695,189 times
It really depends on your lifestyle. And also what, specifically, you've included in your "fixed costs". Utilities can be pretty expensive in the winter if they are not included in rent, so that's something to think about. Gas is, of course, high everywhere right now, so if you'll be driving a lot that could hurt. If you don't have those factored into your "fixed costs" then I'd say it could be a struggle. But if you do, then I think a single person can eat and get by on $75-$100 a week, but again, it all depends on your lifestyle and what you like to spend things on.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 AM

8,011 posts, read 10,583,473 times
I lived near Missoula and worked in Missoula for two years. Housing is not cheap there. You will probably need to rent a room with other "roomates." Either that, or if you have some cash, do what I did and buy an old mobile home in a mobile home park for cash, and just pay the lot rent. The lack of sales tax does help a little, but I found groceries to be really high out there anyway. Still, lots of people seem to make it out there with little "funding", I guess if your resourceful, where there's a will, there's a way. At least you have a job lined up. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll be bringing in a bit more than I expected. Things won't be as tight as I had thought! Beans and rice do a body good, eh? Thanks again!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 PM

10,303 posts, read 13,825,119 times
I made $1300 a month in the area and I was flat broke. I would not recommend moving there on the wage you mentioned.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM

I think I should be alright; I don't need a whole lot of money to live on, especially for food and other things. I've got a nice amount in my bank account to get set up and started. I've lived on the same amount and less in another city with a comparable cost of living (according to calculators) and was able to put some money away.

Either way, I'm on my way out and look forward to living in Missoula! Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula