U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM

45 posts, read 75,361 times

Advertisements

Hi I am American been gone 26 years .At the moment in Australia but comming back to the USA.
All I hear is how bad the medical system in there, do you have to work full time before getting Insurance.Or do most people pay seperate private Insurance.I am low income what can I expect.Moving to polson/missoula area not sure yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,229 times
My family is moving to Montana this summer too and I too have checked in to health insurance. It seems like everybody offers a Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Basically that means you have a high deductible and then you use tax free money (that you and sometimes your employer) contributed to your HSA to pay for deductibles and any other medical costs. It's different and new to me since we've always had the 'traditional' health insurance coverage. Best of luck you and your continental move - I'm just moving from Utah.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM

214 posts, read 570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy35 View Post
My family is moving to Montana this summer too and I too have checked in to health insurance. It seems like everybody offers a Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Basically that means you have a high deductible and then you use tax free money (that you and sometimes your employer) contributed to your HSA to pay for deductibles and any other medical costs. It's different and new to me since we've always had the 'traditional' health insurance coverage. Best of luck you and your continental move - I'm just moving from Utah.
To keep it simple, an HSA is just an IRA you use for medical and dental reasons. You bet on stocks and bonds with it while it sits in the account during the year and you get a tax break with it year ending. Not a bad idea. It's another forced savings that most American's don't like. We like to spend!

I think BCBSMT has the most subscribers. They don't offer it, I believe. So that is where your 'traditional' policies can be found.

Oh, generally speaking, in the intermountain west, medical policies become less frequent the further north you go. The most in Arizona, least in Montana.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 06-14-2011 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 AM

Right now the latest thing in other states is the medical co-op policy craze that's going on. We don't have it here in Montana,..yet.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the traditional or HSA policies offered here in Montana.

Otherwise, we don't have the huge selection of policies the other states have south or west of us.

Prices can vary of course, depending on what you're bringing to the table as excess baggage, you know how it is here in the states. They call it 'pre-existing'. Our medical is very different than most developed countries.

We have this thing called 'independent agents' you call and they find a policy that works for you, if you can believe that.

Otherwise, you go the 'non-profit' route like Blue Cross.

There are other ways to get insurance for yourself here in the US.

You can go to college or find a job. Most descent employers offer it.
In the states they call that 'group' insurance.

It's complicated because these insurance companies can't cross state lines with their product like all other companies can, except in Georgia.

They talk about it much of the time on TV shows and the print media because it's such a big issue here,
but never advertised for some reason like other insurance products like auto or life.

Too bad you can't bring that Ausi' policy you've got with you here! Good luck.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 06-14-2011 at 01:11 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 AM

Wow so confusing, here in oz ambulance is free they add a bit to your electric bill. Hospital is free too but a wait, If you want private you pay.Free to have a baby plus the gov gives you money.Also alot of things are bulk billed you dont pay anything eg.getting eyes checked,skin cancer checked .Going to the drs is about 30$. Kids are free until 16.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket View Post
Wow so confusing, here in oz ambulance is free they add a bit to your electric bill. Hospital is free too but a wait, If you want private you pay.Free to have a baby plus the gov gives you money.Also alot of things are bulk billed you dont pay anything eg.getting eyes checked,skin cancer checked .Going to the drs is about 30$. Kids are free until 16.
Yah, if you're coming from another 'western' country it can be confusing. You almost need to be raised here to understand even how to get medical insurance because they don't advertise it. Like it were 'underground'. Sometimes Blue Cross has an ad in the Missoulian, the newspaper here, but rarely.

The insurance companies just advertise auto and life mostly, and then they make goofy commercials about it on TV. For some reason they never want to actually advertise the product of insurance so we can make better choices. It's part of that 'denial' attitude the advertisers have here. The other thing advertisers do in this country is use children in ads that don't sell the product, instead of advertising their product. That's goofy, too. They just are so afraid of telling Americans how much something costs or actually showing what their company does that's better than the competition. I guess we're just not strong enough to handle the truth so they give us fluff. The only 'shock' treatment we're allowed to have in this country is in comedy! The government does it, too, but that's another story.

You see, the history behind this is that after world war II the insurance companies took medical on because nobody wanted it back then. Since then they've become the 'scribes and pharicies' or experts on the subject, but actually they're not.

If we could bring capitalism back to this field as it were intended, then competition would bring prices down like buying a cell phone or computer. It wouldn't be 'scary' anymore. The reason why hi tech is so successful is Americans know they will get a good deal when all is said and done. When they complain it's almost always because there is no competition in that market. Can you imagine the revolution that would take place in the health insurance sector if the free market we're allowed in it. You'd be able to get a policy on Amazon.com. and everyone would want it. Oh my gosh!

Last edited by Jbechtel; 06-16-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 PM

TRUE !! They do have commercials here, about buying funeral Insurance, and private health ins.There is competition.if you are 30ys making a certain amount you must have medical Ins, or they will tax you.Its pretty good.Dont they have free places if you dont have a job Eg family Planning ect.How much would you have to pay to have a baby ???

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM

They even have PET Insurane for abot 50$ a year added to your home and content plan.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM

If hi-tech were run by the government and insurance companies, the young people would want nothing to do with it. The invention of new technology has little to do with the success. This field would have little success if it were not for the incubation of free market thinking first, the catalyst.

The Montana state legislature years ago decided that all medical policies include pregnancy insurance as part of the policy. The guys are all trying to figure how to use it! This is part of the craziness that befalls health insurance and increased rates.

Also, the best thing the feds could do for us, since they are forced now to have to do something about it, and if they really cared about our health, is combine the department of agriculture with health and human services.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 06-19-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>