U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 40,695 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband is looking again for another teaching job. He's a Band/Music Teacher going into his 15th year. He was called to see if he was still available & willing to take a position in Wolf Point at an Elementary School there. He had had a first actual offer in Lustre, but we just could not find housing.
Our needs are a bit different than most families. It's my husband & I and 5 dogs & 6 cats. So we need a home on some land that has a big enough yard & is fenced with at least a 5 to 6 foot fence. My husband & I want to make this our final move. We'd be interested in renting...renting/leasing to own or rent or lease until we can buy.
We've lived in the mountains at 4500 foot elevation in all the seasons & now live in a lower below sea level desert area. Lived in extended seasonal temps from 120+ down to 12...but never below 0. But we don't believe it would present any problems We've been through all the situations of having to shop only once or twice a month & travel many miles to do that shopping.
We love the outdoors & actually seeing the stars at night So right now, even though that Elementary School Principal said he had a few housing ideas...we want & need to explore ALL our options! ANY ideas or suggestions & advice is welcome!
Thanks...Paws4parker

Last edited by Paws4parker; 07-20-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Arrow [b][/b] rental home needed in wolf point area!!!

I posted earlier today...but wanted to emphasize...we need a rental home that we can have the possibility to buy in 8 months in the Wolf Point area. My husband has a very probable job offer teaching there & we want to make Montana our home! We have the 2 of us...our 5 dogs & 6 cats. We're used to the climate & altitude & look forward to being able to settle down. We need room...with a tallish (5-6 foot) & sturdy fenced yard. cats are inside cats & we don't drink or smoke or use drugs. Please....ANY HELP or Suggestions would be genuinely appreciated!!! Thanks...

Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,991,861 times
ok, will try to help a little, here is the local paper, read the articles and you will get a feel for the area, I strongly urge you to visit and visit again.
Wolf Point Herald
Here is a realty site, no experience but may get you going in the right direction. Often they know of rentals.
Agland Realty Wolf Point Montana Eastern Mt Residential Real Estate

good luck and I will check back in.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 18,276 times
Wolf Point is on the reservation. I stayed there for two weeks for work and we had a local from that town on our crew. He was pure Indian and I'm white. He straight out told me not to go out in that town at night unless he was with or one of his brothers was. Now I got nothing against Indians but I did get the feel around town that it was a ruff place. We stayed at the hotel by the laundromat if anyone knows where I am talking about, and one night we watched a bunch of young kids go vehicle to vehicle checking for unlocked doors. They didn't find any and I don't know what they would have done if they did find one I'm just telling you what I saw. I don't live there I live 50 miles away so I cant tell you any more than that.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I'll take a look at the paper MT7 We really don't have the money to visit...as the last pay check my hubby got was at the end of June. We have friends and family living up there & even though it's not really the same...it'll have to do for now. In May, when we got that 1st offer (jobs for us both) we contacted I think all the realty agents...but I'll see what the paper & Agland may have & if anything has changed. Thanks again & if you hear anything else...please do let us know. Thank you!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM

You are welcome and let us know how it is going. Lots of things are rented by word of mouth, maybe the city office might know of something?
Good luck. :-)

Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM

9,336 posts, read 11,929,636 times
I would strongly recommend not taking a teaching job in Wolf Point or anywhere in Montana. Wolf Point is on the reservation and the ones in Montana are spooky places. Eastern Montana is a very isolated place. Although most people I know from other parts of Eastern Montana are very nice, most agree any of the reservations are places to avoid. Montana also has some of the lowest teacher wages in the nation, usually competing for #51 (DC is factored in).

Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,430 times
Hi I am not sure if you are still looking at Wolf Point or not. My husband, I, and our five children moved to Wolf Point in 2008. We are nurses and took jobs at the hospital. We had our sixth baby in Wolf point. As any place it depends on your perspective, perception, and overall what you are looking for and from where. We were not exactly welcomed with open arms by all of the natives on the reservation. For a long time they have been the subject of much judgement and ridicule ina society that lent to the problems there with in. However, After showing that we did not judge and just wanted to provide good and pure care I do feel like we were accepted. Beyond that the atmosphere is very rich in many things. We LOVED the cafes there, The hospital was fantastic and full of awesome people. Our church was the most amazing and welcoming church we have ever been to with a pastor that is truly one of a kind and completely down to earth. When we had our baby they all pitched in a cooked us meals for the first two weeks and delivered them to us out on our ranch (which was 37 miles out of town). Our ranch is half between Scoby and Wolf Point. Scoby is "off" the reservation and one of the most spirited, quaint little towns I have ever been to. People even transform their garages into haunted house during Halloween for the kids and parents. You are right about needing to drive decent distance for cheaper shopping however, we embraced that as a nice Sunday drive every other week. We ended up needing to leave to advance our educations and get our student loans paid off but we truly miss Wolf Point and would not change the experience for anything. We still own our little ranch it is 38+ acres, It does not have 5 to 6 foot fencing, but the neighbors are amazing. We are considering putting it on the market. We are a young family so carryingt wo mortgages has been a little taxing. It is a beautiful drive and we would be happy to talk if you need or want any other input. Our kids attened Frontier Elementary School and it was by FAR the best school we have ever had experience with. The teachers are completely extraordinary and the school lunch is always homemade. Please don't let all of the others negativity misguide you. We lived there for two and half years.....Our truck did get broken into one time, but thankfully to god or karma our homeowners insurance covered more than the cost of what was lost and we got new hunting equipment.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 AM

That was a nice post however I would not call your place a ranch with that acreage.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,514,830 times
I would go with "farm" at 38ish acres .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: