Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 215,985 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling through Montana in the next several months, and am interested in visiting small, quaint, charming or historic towns with old buildings, some interesting stores and restaurants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A friend told me Hardin may be a possibility. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,077 times
well anaconda comes to mind, and if ya want old historic old buildings check out Butte, the dates on those buildings are way back plus each was named.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 PM

510 posts, read 3,194,708 times
It really depends on where you're traveling...pretty big state. Hardin, unless it's changed wouldn't be my 50th choice of places to visit.

If you have the time, and want a neat drive with some smaller cities, assuming you'll be around Billings or further east... I would work my way into Red Lodge, then I would go over Beartooth pass (assuming it's not winter), and head towards Cook City, just outside of Yellowstone Park. Assuming you've not seen the park, it's well worth visiting. It's where I often took people who had not been to Montana before.

Unfortunately I'm trying to remember any small cities with a neat historical story, but I can't think of any at this point. There will be museums and western stuff in any of the bigger cities, which of course are small compared to others states cities.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM

510 posts, read 3,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
well anaconda comes to mind, and if ya want old historic old buildings check out Butte, the dates on those buildings are way back plus each was named.
If you like Golf, I loved the Anaconda Old Works golf course. Very interesting "slag traps" instead of sand traps.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM

7,970 posts, read 10,537,946 times
Stevensville, Montana is small, very quaint, and Mayberry like. There is a nice community spirit here, several small churches, a great cafe and coffee shop in town, and a wonderful old-fashioned library. Also, Hamilton and Corvallis are really scenic, clean, old fashioned small towns - and virtually crime free, like Stevensville. We are only about a 30 minute drive from Missoula and the University of Montana, where the college town offers lots of great eating places, music, and culture. The Sapphire Mountains surround these communities in the Bitteroot Valley, and we are surrounded by farms and streams, and working ranches. You should definitely check it out.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,991,638 times
Oh give me a break ! Those towns don't even come close !!!
CONRAD of coarse !

Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM

529 posts, read 1,885,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Oh give me a break ! Those towns don't even come close !!!
CONRAD of coarse !
Conrad and Choteau...... er.... um.... Fort Benton (the birthplace of Montana) and quite possibly Lewistown.

Choteau would be my first pick-o-the-litter as far as being quaint is concerned.
Choteau still has most all of it's original buildings, functional and kept up.
Another pick would be Brady.

Most towns and cities in the state no longer have "original" buildings. Especially on the west side due to fire mostly, and lately, due to explosive growth.

The only towns on the west end that I can think off of the top of my head that still has a larger percentage of up-kept original buildings would be Charlo (not much to see in Charlo however), Darby, Dixon, Arlee, Paradise, Plains, Thompson Falls (my grandmother, Esther Jane Thompson directly decended from David Thompson, founder of Thompson Falls) and Phillipsburg.
Barney Fife would love these and would adjust quite well.

There are some sections of Helena and Great Falls that have kept up original stonework buildings, but these, although they are kept up, are dwarfed by the city size and other modernizations.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 08-10-2007 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,077 times
Deer lodge is highly talked about but it is mostly similar to a touristy trap place in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 19,989 times
Grew up in Deer Lodge...home of the state prison and a sawmill.....TOURISTY?????....hardly!!! Another nice "quaint", but DEFINITELY touristy place is Virginia City and Nevada City!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,863,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlazyfbar View Post
Grew up in Deer Lodge...home of the state prison and a sawmill.....TOURISTY?????....hardly!!! Another nice "quaint", but DEFINITELY touristy place is Virginia City and Nevada City!!!
Oh, c'mon.... Prisoners are tourists right???? They're just there to vist for a loooong vacation, albeit not by choice......

Last edited by jimj; 08-13-2007 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana