Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,709 times

Advertisements

OK, this thread may turn into a Cat-Griz rivalry, but I thought you might enjoy the new tradition started by new MSU president Waded Cruzado.

The MSU spirit band with the mascot Champ, the coach, Cruzado, and some athletes, marched business to business in downtown Bozeman and the mall, playing music.

Another new tradition Cruzado started was to personally help along with many other volunteers when new students moved into the dorms. They carried boxes and guided freshmen and got everyone moved in efficiently and quickly.

Here is an article and photos from the Chronicle:
Bobcats take spirit to the streets - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:02 PM

You can also hear/see the band playing in a video when they made a surprise visit to the newspaper offices. The video is on the left side of the page linked above.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 AM

58 posts, read 131,645 times
Thanks for that post Happiness is. The video is great. You are certainly abreast of all the good things going on in Bozeman and contribute so much to this forum.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

ok a little griz....

The Famous "M" - YouTube

thanks for the link Happiness, move in is a fun day!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM

And yay for the Griz marching band in that video!

For those who don't know it, this is the chorus of our state song, (which I and most other Montana kids memorized in school). I wonder how many states have a state song that sounds like a college "fight song"?

MONTANA
tune by Joseph E. Howard, Lyrics by Charles C. Cohan

Montana, Montana,
Glory of the West
Of all the states from coast to coast,
You're easily the best.
Montana, Montana,
Where skies are always blue
M-O-N-T-A-N-A,
Montana, I love you.

verse 1
Tell me of that Treasure State
Story always new,
Tell of its beauties grand
And its hearts so true.
Mountains of sunset fire
The land I love the best
Let me grasp the hand of one
From out the golden West

verse 2
Each country has its flow'r;
Each one plays a part,
Each bloom brings a longing hope
To some lonely heart.
Bitterroot to me is dear
Growing in my land
Sing then that glorious air
The one I understand.

The music is by Joseph Howard, who also wrote "I Wonder Whose Kissing Her Now", "Hello My Baby", "Shuffle Off To Buffalo", "Can't Get You Out of My Mind", and many other compositions. He was a child singer in vaudeville, and worked as a composer and actor all his life. He died on stage in 1961 of a heart attack at the last curtain call, after leading the audience in singing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart", blew kisses, and fell on the stage as the curtain came down.

The lyrics were written by a newspaper editor in Butte.

How it all came about is an interesting story told here:
Montanakids | State Song

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
There is also a Montana state ballad!

Montana Melody / www.legrandeharvey.com - YouTube

The video is the "official" Montana state ballad, "Montana Melody," done by its creator, LaGrande Harvey, at his home in the Big Sky.

H/T: BI via Montana-Alliance-for-Liberty/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana