Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,413 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through the threads but have some questions. Hubby is being retired from the Army, due to PTSD. We are looking for a MMJ legal state that we can move to, and be more isolated than we are here in illinois (hate the politics, and too doggon many people).

Where is the less harsh winter weather?

I prefer to be near (30-50 miles) facilities like medical shopping etc.

What kinds of crops can you grow and is it hard to grow veggies fruit etc with the short seasons. We understand food etc is expensive there, wanna be as self sufficient as we can for citified folks. I don't mind fishing, but wouldn't know what to do with bambi if I shot one. Are there decent processing facilities or is it all self service?

Looking to disapear not shake things up or change things.

Finally, does anyone know about the homesteaders rules, we are looking for something akin to allodial title of ownership (total non state ownership of property) I don't think Montana has it, but, read somewhere homesteading is close to it in montana.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,512 times
MMJ? Are you talking about medical marijuana? Don't expect to have an easy time getting medical marijuana in Montana.

Everywhere in Montana has harsh winters.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,413 times
Not looking for an easy time on medical marijuana, docs can decide the need. Did they repeal it or something? Not everyone who needs it is a aimless pothead, but have very real medical need. I'd rather move to a legal state where he doesn't have to resort to being overdosed on prozac and morphine, than to live in a non mmj state, and risk losing everything because the best medicine is classed as a felony. He was injured in Iraq, fighting for our country.

I understand Montana has harsh winters, looking for the better areas were maybe there is more sunshine, less ice, etc.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
MMJ is VERY controversial here. Expect for the regulations to be tightened. Winters are harsh and long. The Flathead Valley is considered the "banana belt" for growing. I have to have my garden inside for a few months before transplanting outside and even then, we are lucky to get a good lil crop. It's already frosting and going below freezing in September. I don't know about the homestead issue. I do know that there are scattered groups of people that secretly haul in equipment and living supplies into the far hills and live as long as they can before being caught. Just from your post I'm getting the feeling that you haven't done enough research on Montana to know what kind of state you think you want to move to. One other thing, if you want to go off-grid in solitude and away from people, you might want to learn what to do with "Bambi" if you shoot him. It's not a "Bambi", that's what the bunny huggers call them. We call him FOOD. To live the life it sounds like you want to live, you're going to have to get you some food and that includes shooting "Bambi".

Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopwife View Post
I have been reading through the threads but have some questions. Hubby is being retired from the Army, due to PTSD. We are looking for a MMJ legal state that we can move to, and be more isolated than we are here in illinois (hate the politics, and too doggon many people).

Where is the less harsh winter weather?

I prefer to be near (30-50 miles) facilities like medical shopping etc.

What kinds of crops can you grow and is it hard to grow veggies fruit etc with the short seasons. We understand food etc is expensive there, wanna be as self sufficient as we can for citified folks. I don't mind fishing, but wouldn't know what to do with bambi if I shot one. Are there decent processing facilities or is it all self service?

Looking to disapear not shake things up or change things.

Finally, does anyone know about the homesteaders rules, we are looking for something akin to allodial title of ownership (total non state ownership of property) I don't think Montana has it, but, read somewhere homesteading is close to it in montana.

Thanks so much!
I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything significant, except for this which you may be interested in:

Homesteading in Oregon | eHow.com

We've just come back from traveling through Oregon which is why it occurred to me. OR may have more of what you're looking for, in terms of weather and general attitudes, and it does have wonderful scenery. In addition the Eastern part is certainly sparsely populated. Look into it, and keep an open mind. It may not have the legendary ring to it that Montana does (or in a different way), but it may meet your needs. You can "disappear" withut disappearing in the snow, and still have access to bigger towns with facilities.

The state of WA is another possibility, and again, Western and Eastern WA are almost like two different states, in terms of attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana