Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

Hello my family and I are relocating soon due to the gas boom in WV. It is beautiful here but not so much with all this new pollution and water contamination. Therefore, we refuse to buy here and raise our family. I'm sure that every state has their own problems, but some, like MT, in much lesser degrees. We like remoteness but definitely need jobs. I have a BS in Accounting and have reception/waitress/hospitality experience. My fiance has a heavy equipment/welding/seawall building/ and general labor background. Does anyone have any ideas as to a city in MT or elsewhere that may suite us?? Its so hard to look into relocation when you are "somewhere else" so we are planning a trip to check things out but with the cost of travel we need an itinerary ASAP!!

Any "leads" would be so greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM

148 posts, read 561,402 times
Sidney

Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
Billings

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
If you are so concerned about the energy industry, I'd recommend not moving to Montana. The western half, Livingston and west, has few high paying jobs and unemployment above 10% and many counties are over 15%. The eastern half, Big Timber and east, is diversified but has a mining and energy base. The energy industry is responsible for all of the construction in Sidney. Billings is more diversified but has 3 refineries so you won't like it either.

Maybe California or Oregon is the right place for you.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Because of the employment situation in Montana, you should get on the state employment website and see what is available. Montana is one of those places that you should seek employment and then put up with the town you have to live in. Most of the towns are nice so that's really not a factor. But securing a job, anywhere is a major concern.

Then, figure out if that job will support your family in that town's economy. There are a lot of folks working more then one job just to survive.

Billings is probably the most diverse town in the state when it comes to finding work. There is a lot going on there. Even though it is a very large town (by Montana Standards) you can live in town and still have space and a remote feeling. If you are just outside of town, you are in the country. The term "Suburb" doesn't exist in Montana. Not like it does in major towns back East.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Extractive industries are in the eastern part of the state especially in the Bakken field- and that's where the jobs are.

The west is by and large pretty, but excepting Missoula jobs are pretty scarce.

Major cities like Missoula, Great Falls, Billings, Bozeman etc have employment bases, but don't move w/out a job.

Where in WV are you? I lived in Martinsburg and then in Clarksburg. I can understand the frustration regarding the drilling in the Marcellus play, but not all of WV is impacted- just the NorthCentral and surrounds. If you like WV- have you tried Martinsburg and around Winchester?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM

214 posts, read 601,753 times
Here's a tip for you if you don't mind working in the office again. Check out a company by the name of Jackson Hewitt on S. Reserve St. in Missoula. You have that accounting degree that might be a game changer, if you don't mind living there. The owner's always looking for tax preparers and accountants, which is unusual, with all the accountants out of work right now. 1-800-658-7102.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Montana unemployment rate is only 7.6% which is far lower than national average. Billings area is only 5.2%. The reason that it is high as it is statewide, as that includes the counties with Indian Reservations that are larger than some states in the country where the unemployment rate is high bringing the state wide rate up.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM

61 posts, read 116,190 times
I moved from Helena in 2008 after fourteen years of residency.
The only reason why I moved was to take care of a very ill and aging family member in PA.

Your first job in Montana is to find a job.

It took me a solid five years to network into a decent paying position with a business in Helena proper.

Prior to that I worked sometimes three part time jobs in which to make ends meet.

I'm a college educated person but in Montana alot of the positions that are available are word of mouth so I cannot emphasize enough the importance of joining community clubs, churches, volunteering for different events in the area, etc. in order to get your name out there.

Missoula is home to University of Montana and Bozeman is the home of Montana State University.

Both cities in Montana terms are sizable but the competition for good paying positions or any job for that matter is high.

You would be competing with sometimes masters level and higher educated people for relative low wages.

Billings IMHO would offer you more of an opportunity to obtain a position via normal channels of internet job sites, newspaper, local government Job Service, etc.

Living in Montana as a new resident is alot of the time a rather hard adjustment concerning the brutally cold temp's and sometimes the feelings of isolation.

The plus side is the incredible beauty and wildlife that Montana shines for.

You have to meet Montana on her terms not yours.

If you can do that, you will be richly rewarded.

Julia

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

216 posts, read 641,182 times
Jobs are an issue everywhere, sorry to tell you. I keep hearing of people here travelling out to North Dakota to work for the oil industry because it pays so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana