U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,661 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
So I've lived in New Jersey all 21 years of my life and am overdue for some change. I've recently become extremely interested in the outdoors, wildlife, ecology, and the American West in general. For the past year I've been pretty set on transferring out of community college here in Jersey to MSU Bozeman. I've read lots about Bozeman and MSU and have loved everything I've read but want to keep my options open. I recently discovered U of M in Missoula has an interesting sounding Wildlands Restoration program and am curious as to which school, program, and city would fit me better.

Here's a bit about me:
I'm a very down to earth, friendly dude. I'm super personable and will strike conversation with strangers easier than I can with some of my own friends. I'm pretty liberal but I'm not a deliberate hippie. (I've been to Boulder, CO and the amount of "rebel earthy stoner kids" there kind of annoyed me.) I'm definitely a nature enthusiast, but Jersey leaves me pretty limited without a little bit of a drive. I hike, mountain bike, and love just enjoying the quiet wilderness (and the crazy number of stars you guys have out there!). I'm the type of guy who likes to head out into nature and smoke a joint or two, but I'm also a full time student with a full time job who is focused on my goals. I'm no burnout. The night life isn't too important to me as far as clubbing and shopping go, but I would like to be able to not be bored. A chill local bar, restaurants, just a place to walk around. That's all I need. I'm very low key. I'm more about daytime outdoorsy stuff anyways.

As far as school goes:
I'd like a school where I feel like a student, not a face in the crowd. I'd like an intimate, unique, hands on college experience. I'll be going into my third semester technically, but it's more just like random credits here and there. I'll be living off campus so I'm not worried about dorms. I want to pursue a career in some type of wildlife management/ecology. Possibly a fed or state job (BLM, NPS, Fish & Wildlife). I also really like what American Prairie Foundation is doing out in NE Montana. I don't know if any of you are professors but if so, would you be able to provide some insight on the different programs at MSU and UoM?

I know this is pretty lengthy, but I feel every aspect of my life may change someone's views on where would be best for me. Any insight from anyone would be of great appreciation?

Also, if anyone thinks somewhere in any surrounding states [Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah] would fit me better, I'd love to hear some input.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,767,493 times
Both are good universities for your interests. Both are small enough that students are not just a face in the crowd if they want and need the attention of professors.

Have you thought about researching from the point of view of what degrees are required for your desired BLM, Forest Service, Wildlife career? Check with each university on the number of students who are hired after graduation into the type of job you want when you graduate. You can contact the departments directly online and ask those questions.

A couple of links that may be helpful:
MSU in Bozeman
LRES -- Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
Home
Department of Animal & Range Science
Department of Earth Sciences

MSU in Bozeman historically was known for its focus on agriculture and animal/range science.
UofM in Missoula historically was known for its focus on forestry.

Both Missoula and Bozeman are located close to wilderness, national parks, and outdoor sport opportunities. Missoula tends to have cloudier skies, Bozeman more clear sunny days.

hope that helps,

H.I.
Bozeman

Last edited by happiness is; 02-02-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,767,493 times
Here is another link to careers from the MSU degree in range science.
MSU A&R - Careers

Here is an overview of the Fish and Wildlife Management degree program:
Fish & Wildlife Management Program

Here is degree info in Sustainable Food and Bioenergy at MSU
Sustainable Food & Bioenergy Systems Interdisciplinary Degree Program, Montana State University

Careers with that degree http://sfbs.montana.edu/Careers.html (broken link)
Hope that helps.

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 17,661 times
Great, thanks so much I'll look into all of that.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM

9,036 posts, read 11,126,883 times
Happiness Is had provided some very good links about MSU. UM is known for their forestry program as well. I think either town would be nice to go to college. I'm an MSU alum myself and it was a good university. The campus was pretty compact and once you got the core classes over with your professors knew you. The only drawback I found with Bozeman was the high cost of living and the anti-student attitude of the town. Businesses and landlords really seemed to have it out for college students when I was there between 2000 and 2005.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,726 times
I am a U of M student and Forestry programs are poular there as well, personally not a fan of liberal arts schools and would be going to bozeman if I could. but im not persuing forestry either look between the 2 programs and which degree you wish to pursue and figure which one ranks better because both towns are relativly decent sized and not far from each other so you will have the opportunity to explore the other.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 AM

203 posts, read 451,798 times
I am sure you check the ranks of each school you choose:

University of Montana | Best College | US News

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,058,667 times
My daughter is a senior at UM. Her major is different than what you are considering, but it's a beautiful campus with a great location.......she's received an excellent education, the school has about 15k students, and her professors know her name. People in Montana are salt-of-the-earth and she has made some very nice friends.

She applied and was accepted at several colleges but chose UM. I'm glad she did.

Good luck with your decision. They are both good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana