U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM

45 posts, read 104,511 times

Advertisements

Okay so we are attempting to apply for jobs in Montana because where we are in Idaho the wages are VERY low and believe it or not Montana has better wages at this time.
We have young children and have read good and bad about Missoula and Kalispell.
We have lived in WY, CA, and ID and we are very familar with weather and are not afraid!
Please help us decide.
At this time our main concern is our children and the schools they will be attending.
I would appreciate all your input as visiting those areas is very expensive for us!
After reading so many bad things about Missolua and Kalispell I'm almost afraid to even consider it.
I'd love to hear from a teacher if they read this!
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM

56 posts, read 184,718 times
Hello, I am a teacher. I lived in Whitefish a few years back and would have to say that many of the kids in Kalispell and Columbia Falls have a pretty tough home life and it plays out in school. Whitefish has a very different environment overall.

However, the article below is from the local paper summarizing the last school board meeting, March 28, which was all about the budget issues and major cuts in Whitefish for next year....

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articl...s_staff/10396/

"Amid declining enrollment and budget concerns, the Whitefish School Board voted unanimously Tuesday night to cut its district’s staff."

I don't know anything about Missoula's schools, but they would have more options being that it is a much larger community.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM

9,082 posts, read 11,295,059 times
If you think visiting those areas is expensive try living in them. Western Montana is not a cheap place to live and wages for teachers are some of the lowest in the nation. I lived a ways south of Kalispell and close to Missoula and I can say I was quite happy to move away from that part of Montana and haven't looked back since then. I didn't like the culture and mentality at all. I don't have kids so I don't know what the schools are like in those towns, but I can say they are underfunded, as are the majority of the state's schools.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM

629 posts, read 1,596,086 times
Keep in mind that if you move to the Kalispell area you're going to have a far smaller # of potential job openings than you would near Missoula. Finding a teaching job for one person is one thing, but finding two in a small area is going to be even more difficult.

In addition, there's no substitute for visiting an area before deciding to move there. One person's paradise is hell to another person so I would strongly recommend visiting before deciding where to move. If $$ is too tight to allow a visit then maybe it should be put off until you can save enough to visit the areas beforehand.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,122,177 times
It seems they are looking for good schools for their children, not teaching jobs for themselves.

As a teacher, I truly believe that parental involvement in a child's education is the number one factor to a child's successful education. That is something families can develop & take with them wherever they go.

Plus, a good teacher trumps underfunded education. Underfunded education is the zeitgeist nationwide.

In my eyes, employment should be the star factor in relocation. Plus, I too think it is important for at least one of you to visit the area before making the move.

Best of luck in your decisions!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,466,496 times
They are looking for "BOTH", teaching jobs and good schools for their kids. I have nephews in the Kalispell High School and they both have talked about the high drug use. I think you are going to find the Flathead Valley similar in cost of living as Idaho. Personally, I can't stand Zootown (Missoula). It's too liberal and there are way too many tree huggers and bunny huggers for me being that we are a logging/mining/hunting family, but it might be your cup of tea.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 PM

45 posts, read 104,511 times
Thanks everyone for your insight.
Yes we are both teachers and we have small children.
This area is looking less and less like an area for us.
I so appreciate your help.
No Missoula is not looking like a place for us due to it being so liberal.
I'm not sure where to go anywhere!
If anyone has any ideas please let us know.
Thanks!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,450,700 times
You may want to look at Helena. Good schools, not as liberal as Missoula. Not as touristy as Kalispell, but still lots of outdoors to enjoy.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 AM

1,621 posts, read 3,662,813 times
How about Bozeman? Schools are pretty good. I mean, I turned out ok. And you don't have to LIVE in town where it can be expensive. You also might look at Belgrade too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana