U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 16,904 times

Advertisements

More Californians looking to move away . Please help us make the best decision for our family. We have two small boys, the oldest is currently in Pre-K. Our circumstances allow us to relocate to virtually any "large" city in the US, so we just need to find the best fit for us. I grew up in the northwest (northern Oregon) and I like the scenery and climate (not so much the rain though). My husband and I have also lived in Tulsa Ok and would consider moving back to that area, though we would much prefer the northwest. This is what we are interested in:

*Owning our own home! Suburban LA is ridiculously expensive. We can't even afford rent out here and are living off of family. We want independence!
* Family friendly. We are a young family with young kids and want a safe, healthy environment with good schools and lots of open spaces to play.
* 4 seasons. Nothing too extreme. We're used to 75 degrees all year long so super heat/humidity or freezing temps would be quite a shock! But the same day after day gets real old real quick.

That is what is most important to us. Our budget for a home is around $175K. We have been mulling this over for about a year and are determined to make the move now while our kids are young. Some places we are considering:

* Boise or Pocatello Id
* Bend Or (maybe too expensive for us though)
* Missoula Mt
* Spokane Wa
* Edmond Ok or Olathe Ks (these are good moves as far as my husbands career path is concerned, but not the top priorities for us, unless someone can convince us otherwise).

We'd consider other areas too, these are just the ones we are most familiar with. We appreciate any and all opinions, suggestions and advice!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,912,796 times
Default Check out posts

Good for you for wanting to make a move that will be a "better lifestyle" for you and your children! I've been following this site for awhile & suggest that you check out several of the threads that are posted. There is a lot of good info about Montana.......including differences in various "cities" in the state, etc. There is quite a large diff in housing costs as well as landscape, weather patterns, etc. Best wishes~!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,998 times
I would go with washington, oregon or montana. Boise is super hot and has a lot of air quality problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,468,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablooieshy View Post
* 4 seasons. Nothing too extreme. We're used to 75 degrees all year long so super heat/humidity or freezing temps would be quite a shock! But the same day after day gets real old real quick.

That is what is most important to us. Our budget for a home is around $175K.
Get ready for lots of freezing weather if you are thinking about Montana. More than that, get ready for 9 months of long winters (gray weather and several months of very short days).

Home budget of $175k might be a problem in Western Montana.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 AM

22,973 posts, read 25,087,415 times
As an example, just started rain/hail/snow/ice yesterday at the park (you should've seen all the tourists in shorts runing) and rain/wind all day in the valley. More rain/high wind today so winter is coming a little early this year.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,021,297 times
Given the criteria that you mentioned, I've got to suggest OK or KS as the best fit. Olathe has some fantastic schools (I'm not sure about Edmond) and both areas are more affordable for your budget than any other places on your list. You'll also enjoy all four seasons, though OK will be a bit more mild than KS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: