U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 PM

115 posts, read 321,410 times

Advertisements

We chose this town to move to after hubby's job offer in same town. We chose it over Bozeman because we didn't want to commute and because it so cute

BUT.. afer 6 months we have figured we do NOT want to buy a house here (actually looking to move to Europe)

This town is so behind the times it's almost ridiculous. I could go into so many different things we have come to notice but it would take too long lol

and it is so flipping liberal. Modern day hippies really. If illegals started to pour into our state our town would be the type to welcome them w/open arms and declare this town a sanctuary town

The more time we spend in Bozeman the more we like it. Sadly we still don't want to commute (especially in the winter over the pass) so until we get to Europe we're standing our ground

(one good thing is our new neighbors across the street are also Ron Paul supporters !!!! AND she is military)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,058,496 times
May I ask the name of this town?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Livingston

We were at a store in Bozeman and I made a remark to my husband about our town and the checker said "every time the wind blows the people there lose IQ points" LOL... funnier than hell.

Last edited by francej16; 09-17-2007 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,383,953 times
My hometown is Livingston. Left it almost 50 years ago when I graduated from high school. I now spend great parts of the summer there and I wouldn't call it 'backward', but the town has lost its soul. Sure there are some really nice people, but many, many transplants like yourself francej16. Maybe it is 'backward'. The biggest shopping arena is the local Pamida which really is a down-scale Shopko, if you can imagine!!

The collective 'many', that includes lots of movie stars and wanna-be fly fishermen, into one small town has changed its character so much that only the surrounding mountains are the same.

I would never go back there to live, although a couple of my buddies have; but it's a nice place to visit in the summer.

Tom

Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Actually Albertson's is here though there is nothing there but Albertson's lol my god Albertson's has never even heard of paperbags w/handles LMAO. The technology is about 4 years behind. We love the simple life but damn it's beyond that here.

I mean we don't drive SUVs or Hummers w/don't live in a fancy expensive newly built house (we have a cute house in the neighborhood ) and the people can be friendly but I'd much rather be somewhere else where people know what is going on outside of the town or even the state of Montana.

went to Western Drug for the first time and that was depressing.

and we spoke to the guy that cells cigars on 89 when we were at the sheep drive and not very big on his hometown now either. the tourist traffic passes us and keeps on going. They only stop to fill their tanks or get something to eat. So the town will not grow because the city planners don't want any other big companies here (apparently except for PFL) therefore no additional jobs for people.

and btw we haven't run into any celebrities here and we live in the town not on the outskirts.

Last edited by francej16; 09-17-2007 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM

75 posts, read 506,509 times
That bad after only six months?

Just wait till winter.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman1 View Post
That bad after only six months?

Just wait till winter.

what's wrong in the winter??? I LOVE the cold, icy, snowy weather. winter girl that's one of the reasons we liked Montana.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,133,947 times
Our town used to be real backwards and the bungled everything they tried to do. Things run much better now that more newcomers are running the show. I think there must be lead in the water or something because the people in our town who grew up here seem a bit brain dead ! (Sorry to my neighbors but sometimes the truth hurts.)

Old 09-18-2007, 02:40 PM

92 posts, read 368,867 times
Livingston may be a bit backwards in some arenas, but not all. It does have a lot of things going for it, beautiful setting, one stop light, neighbors who know each other. It is a tourist town if the tourist is fishing the Yellowstone. I would agree about the modern day hippies. It has always had a large number of those, including the cult that was big 10 years or so ago. But it also has things like Mark's In & Out (Old fashioned burger shop) the Depot, Sacagewea park, a great Fourth of July rodeo. Sometimes a quaint MT town is all you need and sometimes you need a lot more than that and maybe this is one of those times that you need to ask yourself, are you doing more harm to everyone around you with the attitude that you seem to have and should you just move on. There are other MT towns with fewer hippies, maybe just trying one of them might work. But just because you don't agree with some of the people that live in the same town as you doesn't mean that they are wrong or dumb. It just means that we live in a country where you can think for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>