Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM

231 posts, read 784,799 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been hoping to move to Montana for a while, and found out about a potential job opportunity in Lake County. From what I've seen of it online, it looks like a pretty nice place. Several small towns, and while Polson is also small, it seems there's a lot to do there. Also not far from Kalispell and Missoula.

Anyone have insight into quality of living in Lake County, Polson and Ronan in particular? Cost of living - rent, food, gas? Are the people friendly? I'm a single young guy who is low maintenance, doesn't need a ton of frills. Love the outdoors. Grew up in a small town, love the small town community atmosphere (when the people are nice, at least).

I like big metropolitan places sometimes but I'm not a "cosmopolitan" minded guy. Diversity is nice but not mandatory. I understand that area is on the Flathead reservation, so lots of Native American culture and stuff going on there, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Killerk:

You've got it pretty well pegged.

Other than the outdoors, not a great deal to do or see right here in the Polson/Pablo/Ronan metroplex (*joke*) - but then Missoula or Kalispell aren't far to drive and Spokane (if you need a real city fix) isn't a whole lot farther.

The tribal culture is available for those who seek it - visitors/tourists/gawkers are welcome at celebrations (a.k.a. Pow-wows) which are coming up quickly in June and July - and museums and other places/events of interest in that direction are plentiful enough.

Can't speak to the singles scene - been married to the same woman for over 42 years. Let me merely observe that there seem to be plenty of singles (sometimes getting together) to these eyes, if you are looking to 'hook up'.

The economy here takes a while to settle into: There are more pawn shops and Non-profits per person and per square mile than just about anywhere else on the mainland of these [somewhat] United States. Then again, there are more out-of-state residents (read: Hollywood and Silicon Valley Crowd) who drop into their lakefront estate mansions in the middle of the night, than you could shake a stick at - if, you were so inclined.

In short, economically speaking, Lake County contains both the "Haunts of the Very Rich" and the hovels of the very poor. There's not as much middle ground (middle class) as one could wish for, but, as folks say everywhere these days: It is what it is.

If you decide to come ahead then, Welcome aboard!

Good Luck,

mg

Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Lively Times, a regional arts and entertainment monthly newspaper, has been published for many years out of Charlo.
It will give you an idea of "what's happening" in the area. Use the pull-down menu to choose an area to search the calendar.
Lively Times | Montana Arts and Entertainment Calendar, a complete statewide searchable database of music, concerts, events, theater, dance, recreation and art exhibits

Old 05-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Oops! You asked if folks are friendly. My take on that is they're generally about as friendly here as you are - just about like most other places we've lived.

We find them to be friendly. You seem friendly.

Heck... I even think of myself as friendly and I'm a curmudgeon by definition...

FWIW; YMMV

mg

Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I can honestly say that Lake County is the worst place I've ever lived. I didn't live in Ronan or Polson, but I found the area to be unbearable. I would hate to be an out of state person there. I came from a different part of Montana and although I was accepted for the most part, I found the thinking there to be backward and closed-minded. Anyone from California or "back east", which is anywhere outside of Montana, was not looked upon favorably. The cost of living is high in most areas and the wages are low to boot. Don't let the no income tax thing fool you. It will not save you as much as you might think. You basically have very rich and very poor, and most of that area is on the Flathead Reservation and is very poor. As far as the culture, yes there are events like powwows, but also keep in mind that reservations are often pretty crime-ridden. I lived there for a year and I was never happier to see a place through my rear view mirror when I moved out of there.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Don't let the no income tax thing fool you.
I must be missing something. We have an income tax in Montana. Or am I really letting it fool me!!???

Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
I must be missing something. We have an income tax in Montana. Or am I really letting it fool me!!???
Sorry, I meant sales tax.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Polson is beautiful in the summer but overcast and gloomy gray in winter. Whereas, most of Montana has plenty of sunny days throughout winter.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM

231 posts, read 784,799 times
Hmm. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, you too WyoEagle, it's good to hear both sides. Where did you live, WyoEagle? Maybe I ought to avoid that place. From what I've heard, Polson is a fairly friendly place, haven't heard a lot about Ronan though.

I'm a "golden rule" type of guy, so I try to be as friendly as possible knowing that usually a friendly, neighborly attitude will be returned in kind. But I know wherever I go there will be some bad seeds, can't avoid that...as far as the economic stuff goes, I come from a small town (substantially bigger than Polson and Ronan, but still small) where the "rich get richer, poor stay poor" thing is also a problem. But I know plenty of the poor folk who are happy and content just with what they have, but also some poor people who are depressed and get into trouble trying to steal the rich people's stuff because they're jealous of it...so I think it's an attitude thing. Some people, as long as they make just enough money to pay the bills and keep food on the table, are happy as clams, but others want MORE and are upset that they can't get it. As long as the negative people don't actively try to sabotage my happiness, I can usually let their negative attitudes roll off my back.

Also as long as I'm able to make even just a couple friends to spend some off-hours time with, I'm good. And from what I've seen of the place where I could possibly end up working, the people there seem friendly and down to earth...so, we'll see. If I get accepted, I'll definitely go out there and give it a try. And who knows, maybe I'll hate it, but at least I'm still at a place in life where it's not too hard to pick up and go. But I have a feeling I'd like it there just fine.

And about gloomy vs. sunny days...here in northwest Pennsylvania, gloomy seems to be the norm rather than the exception, so I'm pretty sure anywhere in Montana will be a step up in the sunniness factor, lol.

Last edited by KillerK; 05-24-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Hmm. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, you too WyoEagle, it's good to hear both sides. Where did you live, WyoEagle? Maybe I ought to avoid that place. From what I've heard, Polson is a fairly friendly place, haven't heard a lot about Ronan though.

I'm a "golden rule" type of guy, so I try to be as friendly as possible knowing that usually a friendly, neighborly attitude will be returned in kind. But I know wherever I go there will be some bad seeds, can't avoid that...as far as the economic stuff goes, I come from a small town (substantially bigger than Polson and Ronan, but still small) where the "rich get richer, poor stay poor" thing is also a problem. But I know plenty of the poor folk who are happy and content just with what they have, but also some poor people who are depressed and get into trouble trying to steal the rich people's stuff because they're jealous of it...so I think it's an attitude thing. Some people, as long as they make just enough money to pay the bills and keep food on the table, are happy as clams, but others want MORE and are upset that they can't get it. As long as the negative people don't actively try to sabotage my happiness, I can usually let their negative attitudes roll off my back.

Also as long as I'm able to make even just a couple friends to spend some off-hours time with, I'm good. And from what I've seen of the place where I could possibly end up working, the people there seem friendly and down to earth...so, we'll see. If I get accepted, I'll definitely go out there and give it a try. And who knows, maybe I'll hate it, but at least I'm still at a place in life where it's not too hard to pick up and go. But I have a feeling I'd like it there just fine.

And about gloomy vs. sunny days...here in northwest Pennsylvania, gloomy seems to be the norm rather than the exception, so I'm pretty sure anywhere in Montana will be a step up in the sunniness factor, lol.
I lived in Arlee, which is a very small town that sits just inside of Lake County. I would avoid it like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana