Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 17,635 times

Advertisements

well i have an offer to go work up in hot springs, mt. i am a colorado native and have never been to montana. i love hiking and the outdoors and that is kind of part of the lure. i love the sunshine and am wondering if its sunny up there. i am not a huge fan of the cold, however, or humid, but am told it is less there then in other parts of the state? i am a 29 and independent(read:single, no kids) and would hope there are other interesting people my age up that way. i know it is a super small town but the job is so interesting to me, i just dont want to be up there in the cold all alone, ha! somebody tell me there are good youngerish/at heart people to go hiking with, maybe some music coming through every once in a while......?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
In general the western half of the state is warmer than the eastern half. A quick look here on C-D should give you the temperature and weather data you desire.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieraee View Post
well i have an offer to go work up in hot springs, mt. i am a colorado native and have never been to montana. i love hiking and the outdoors and that is kind of part of the lure. i love the sunshine and am wondering if its sunny up there. i am not a huge fan of the cold, however, or humid, but am told it is less there then in other parts of the state? i am a 29 and independent(read:single, no kids) and would hope there are other interesting people my age up that way. i know it is a super small town but the job is so interesting to me, i just dont want to be up there in the cold all alone, ha! somebody tell me there are good youngerish/at heart people to go hiking with, maybe some music coming through every once in a while......?
Depending on where you are presently living in CO...you may be in for a "culture shock"..........

Approx population of Hot Springs is 535.....of which approx 21% are between 20 to 30 yrs.

Over 1/3 of the families living there are BELOW the poverty level.

The only music you might hear there will be the coyotes "singing" at night.

Hot Springs is located on the Flathrad Indian Reservation.

Hot Springs is located in Sanders County..........unemployment rate is quite high in that county.

Finding suitable housing MAY be somewhat difficult.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM

i have a house and a job lined up........really just want to hear from those who have been through there or have lived there. glad to hear it might be a bit warmer. still wondering about sunshine though. colorado is pretty lacking in culture, even in the larger cities is seems very disingenuine and also for whatever reason we are always behind in everything about 10 years, but the mountains and gorgeous weather more than makeup for that. love coyote songs tho honestly... i hear there is a lot of farming starting to take root up there and communities building around that, but would like some knowledge from anyone around those parts. i really dont mind hippies and survivalists and rural farming folks, i have been told people travel there often for the hot springs in the summer...just looks like beautiful country but i am just not sure its right for me

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
If you find Colorado culture backwards, you'll want to verify western MT is acceptable to you. Esp. on a reservation. It is way different then what I suspect your used to.

Sunshine shouldn't be much of a problem. At least compared to Idaho, where I live. Much sunnier. Continental divide makes a difference. Again, you should be able to find this data in C_D section for that town.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
I would stay away from Hot Springs. I lived in that area and found it to be the most depressing and backward place I've ever lived, and I was also at my poorest financially. I was never more happy to see a place in my rear-view mirror.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM

203 posts, read 496,612 times
I would like to offer this: Hot Springs Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

You will see more links near the bottom of the page. I found it informitive, maybe you will as well?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM

451 posts, read 998,924 times
Howdy, JessieRaee.

If you move to Hot Springs, that would make you a neighbor. I was in Lone Pine just last week to assist in a Military Honors funeral there. We lived in Paradise back in the 90's and a close friend here in Polson lived in Hot Springs for over 10 years. Lone Pine and Plains are the two closest towns to Hot Springs, but of those two, only Plains has merchants any longer. Hot Springs has its own food store, restaurant, gas stations, etc.

As with all places one considers moving to, HS has it good and bad - none of them strike me as insurmountable. First off, that you have a job and housing is 99% of the battle for anyone moving anywhere in Montana.

Good: Rural, yet with most amenities. Great climate and vistas, easy access to the outdoors and all the things you mention liking - plenty to do in the way of outdoor activities nearby all year long. Low prices for real estate/rental. Easy access (about an hour's drive either way) to Missoula or Kalispell when you need a city. And there really are hot springs to soak in for a nominal fee. You'll see actual cattle drives, may have to wait for them to pass as you're driving some place, may get invited to participate. Life is slower around HS than most of the rest of this Nation (that I've ever seen, anyway - which includes the Missouri Ozarks).

Neutral but may be important to consider: Locally, Hot Springs is considered a 'Tribal town', loosely meaning that half or more of its population is made up of enrolled Tribal (CSKT) members. This is pretty much a cultural thing and does not mean that non-Tribal people will be ostracized nor harmed in any way. But you may not fit in, depending on who you are - how you behave. There are some 'hippies' and back-to-the-land folks hanging on in the area as well. But they won't give you any trouble either.

What may be negative (again, depending upon your needs and outlook): Not much right there in the way of social activity, unless you like to go to potlucks at the church(es). Probably not a lot of singles in your age range to choose from for friendship/companionship (but, really, how many does one need, if you have the right one(s)?) Limited cell phone and television and other entertainment avenues right there. Gas and food prices are a bit higher due to transportation costs. Most folks make a "Costco run" to either Mizzoo or Kali once or twice a month. Life is slower around HS than most of the rest of this Nation (that I've ever seen, anyway - which includes the Missouri Ozarks). Oops! Said that already.

Personally, I like Hot Springs - my wife does not. Thus we've never lived there. But I've visited there frequently and always enjoyed my time there.

Hope this helps. FWIW.

Good Luck,
mg

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM

yeah im not really worried about fitting in with folks i guess, just hoping for some around my age. i hear a lot of people visit in the summer for the hot springs, or just pass through on their way somewhere else. i guess i just wish it was a bit more warm, longer summers...etc..up there but am also thinking that with the way the weather has been lately, warmer temps may become more common. super hard choice for me right now, its so tempting but not quite sure

Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM

26 posts, read 73,232 times
What do you have to loose?

You say you're independent, you have a house and job lined up, unless there are things that we don't know, I'd say go for it. Life's too short to be somewhere you don't currently like. Assuming you're fairly mobile (no house to sell), and you don't have to sign a long term commitment to HS, you're still young and there could always be the "what if I had" if you don't.

If I were you I'd still try to visit before making a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana