U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 23,427 times

Advertisements

I have been doing alot of looking on line but would like some good old fashion personal advice now. I love the natural beauty of the mountains and would like to find a place to live for at least the next 20 years (I will then hopefully retire) What is Sheridan Montana and the ruby valley area like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,156,429 times
Default Sheridan/Ruby Valley

Gorgeous. Sheridan is a small town though so if you need to find a job there it may be difficult. There are several towns within commuting distance though so you may be able to find something. I went to college in Dillon and my Dad had cousins in Sheridan and Twin Bridges.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:00 AM

462 posts, read 1,620,392 times
I live just north of there in the Jefferson Valley and Sheridan is just 8 miles south of Twin Bridges. To the south of Sheridan is Alder where there is basically nothing and then eventually you come to Virginia City which is open seasonally (summers only). There isn't much in Sheridan except a bank, bakery and a handful of shops and a small grocery store. To get to a job if you can't find one right in Sheridan would mean a drive to Dillon (@36 miles)

The Ruby Valley is stunning country. The Ruby River is a great trout stream and there are lots of pretty ranches, mountains and camping, hiking etc. The cons of living in that area are the proximity to larger towns is not great. If you wanted to drive to Bozeman, you are a long way away. Same with Butte. Dillon is the most accessible town and there isn't much there either. There is a Safeway grocery store, but all the locals go to Butte for major shopping. Another thing to know about the Twin Bridges, Sheridan, Alder, Dillon areas are you are stuck with 3 Rivers Phone Co. That means you can't call anywhere outside your own town without paying a toll call. So people in Sheridan can only call other people in Sheridan without it costing money. Once you move north of Twin Bridges to around Silver Star area, then you are on Qwest and can call all the way to Deer Lodge without it being a toll call. The other thing is internet. Again you only have 3Rivers and the same goes for cell phone coverage. Twin Bridges is like a black hole when it comes to radio or cell coverage. I call it radio free Twin as your reception goes to 0 when you pull into town and comes back once you leave town!

It's a gorgous area but you also need to know Sheridan is getting more expensive and has always been more than Twin. Alder seems to be mostly private land and huge land at that. Twin is less expensive but is catching up.

There just isn't much to do in that area unless you have horses or fish or ranch. If you just wanted to retire to a beautiful and quiet place then Sheridan would be ideal if you can afford it.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 PM

thanks for the info about sheridan. I am thinking of taking a job at Ruby Valley Hospital. I have found, as was mentioned, property to be expensive for small town life. I could live with the solitude but my kids (especially my 13 yr old daughter) are far less impressed.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 PM

I also have a job prospect in Wolf Point and find the housing much cheaper...why?...is there something wrong in Wolf Point. I know it isn't as pretty.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 PM

78 posts, read 722,920 times
Default Cheaper than what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyann View Post
I also have a job prospect in Wolf Point and find the housing much cheaper...why?...is there something wrong in Wolf Point. I know it isn't as pretty.
Much cheaper than what--or where? If you're comparing WP to urban areas, the reason is that WP isn't a large city. Housing prices relate to supply and demand. Houses in urban areas tend to rise more quickly than in small towns because more jobs are normally available in urban areas, thus more people are moving in and out, thus housing costs go up. The other main area housing prices rise in are resort/vacation type areas, where people who don't need to commute to a job buy retirement or second homes on lakes and such.

There is nothing "wrong" with any community in Montana. Each is unique, so if WP has what you like, then it's right for you and you should delight in the fact that it apparently has cheaper housing for you.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:09 AM

462 posts, read 1,620,392 times
Kellyann,
I don't actually know Wolf Point personally, but I know the drive to Glendive and it is north of there. That country tends to be flatter and not as mountainous. The elevation is much lower than Sheridan, (1, 998 in WP vs 5,104 in Sheridan) and the population is substantiably higher in WF than Sheridan. I think much of Sheridan these days are transplants who have moved in and bought large ranches and are either cattle ranching or just have it to enjoy for their retirements. There are plenty of snowbirds in the local area who leave MT in the winter and return in the spring. They do help the local economy in the summer months and many employ people year round to manage their ranches.

Wolf Point looks to be an area with probably a less affluent community. In fact, I believe it is rather depressed economically so that is why housing seems cheaper...it is. The Fort Peck indian reservation is located there. I think if you are looking for more than a small town atmosphere which is what Sheridan would offer you, then maybe this would work for you. Sheridan's population as of last year was only about 689. WP population is 2623 as of last year. I think they get much more snow and it would be colder as it is much farther north and close to Canada. If it were me, I'd go for Sheridan way before WP! You said you wanted pretty mountains and they are right in your back yard in sheridan. Wolf Point does have the wild horse stampede which is pretty cool and of course, the Missouri River. BUT, if you want the mountains, stick with Sheridan.

MTer, it looked pretty obvious to me this person was comparing to Sheridan. No need to be so snippy. Remember, even you said Montanan's are friendly!

Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 AM

78 posts, read 722,920 times
Default Not snippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Kellyann,

MTer, it looked pretty obvious to me this person was comparing to Sheridan. No need to be so snippy. Remember, even you said Montanan's are friendly!
Well congratulations that it was "pretty obvious" (but note NOT 100% obvious, per your wording) to you, so even you expressed some uncertainty, at least by your word choices. Regardless, it wasn't obvious to me. Read what I wrote. Asking a question is NOT being snippy. You must have read it with a sour pill in your mouth or something, i.e., your perspective was negative in reading what I wrote. Maybe it was obvious to you the person meant Sheridan, but it wasn't to me, so I asked a completely valid question.

And yes, the above paragraph is a bit snippy, I'll agree, but you caused it due to your uncalled for, incorrect comment.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 PM

I guess I was just really impressed with a couple properties in Wolf Point for the price asked and compared to the same size (acreage) in Indiana. We Hoosiers are conservative and slow to change..ha..ha. I am very impressed with Sheridan and the contacts I have made with the little hospital there. Thanks for all the info and advice.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:56 AM

919 posts, read 1,805,172 times
Default tone of voice

MTer & ladyfish, I find it very hard to understand tone and intent on some folks written words also. I know some have misunderstood my words on my posts. its quite an art. peace out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana