U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 16,837 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in San Antonio, TX( I've grown up in South Texas) and are desperate to relocate. We are thinking seriously about the Northwest area.

In Montana I suppose i'd look into Billings, Missoula, or Great Falls.
The only thing that worries me is employment. I currently work for the university of texas in the distance learning department (online course design), and I have a college degree. Does anyone know anything about that type of employment in Montana? I have lots of experience with computer software.

Please give me some advice, I can't live the rest of my life (i'm 23 now) in the commercialized hellhole that is San Antonio, and I can't move further South because the gift of isolation is spoiled by the violent culture along the Mexican border (where I grew up).

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 07:20 PM

48 posts, read 129,018 times
I don't live in Montana (yet) but it seems to me that your choices of potential cities (Billings, Missoula or Great Falls) are somewhat random. What made you choose those three and not Helena or Bozeman? Just curious.

If I were you I would search job sites and see what there is and whether you're qualified. I would then apply and see what happens.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM

well, it will still be at least a year, so i was just listing cities at.. random...

Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 PM

6,902 posts, read 9,384,636 times
Missoula is wonderful, and of course the University of Montana is there, so I would rend a resume if I were you, considering your work experience. I have lived here in Montana during the past year and have traveled to all of the cities in Montana - I would not live anywhere but Missoula if I had a choice. Unfortunately, I cannot afford Missoula! I am living 30 miles away in the sticks in Stevensville in a mobile home park, but I do work in Missoula. Missoula is were EVERYTHING is. Unfortunately, this mobile home on a rented lot is all I can afford here - you better check the housing prices out here in Montana before you come. They are a bit ridiculous, considering there are not a lot of jobs here (unless you work for the University - so that may be in your favor). There are affordable homes in Billings and Butte, but that is because you would probably not want to live there. People who made fortunes on their homes in California and Las Vegas have moved here to the Western Montana area and, unfortunately, driven the housing prices up. I don't know whether I helped or confused you, I hoped I helped!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 PM

78 posts, read 725,016 times
Default Software Cities

Both Butte and Bozeman are growing in terms of software companies. Bozeman, in particular, has drawn at least one or two major companies, and Butte has some (smaller, I believe) and I believe is working to attract more.

Helena, being the state capital, also has quite a few software jobs.

All three cities have colleges and/or universities. Whether or not any of these has openings you may be qualified for and interested in, only you and the potential employers can determine, especially since your "experience with computer software" comment is very ambiguous--have you been a programmer? Analyst? Designer? Salesperson? Manager? Trainer? Tester? And so on.

You might want to follow these cities' online newspapers--they most likely have help wanted ads online. Butte's is www.mtstandard.com, Bozeman's is www.bozemandailychronicle.com, Helena's is www.helenair.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tull View Post
My wife and I currently live in San Antonio, TX( I've grown up in South Texas) and are desperate to relocate. We are thinking seriously about the Northwest area.

The only thing that worries me is employment. I currently work for the university of texas in the distance learning department (online course design), and I have a college degree. Does anyone know anything about that type of employment in Montana? I have lots of experience with computer software.

Please give me some advice, I can't live the rest of my life (i'm 23 now) in the commercialized hellhole that is San Antonio, and I can't move further South because the gift of isolation is spoiled by the violent culture along the Mexican border (where I grew up).

thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 AM

thank you, that was very helpful

Old 09-26-2006, 03:59 PM

i'm also in an interracial marriage. you think that's a problem?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,165,867 times
Default Montana - interracial

Quote:
i'm also in an interracial marriage. you think that's a problem?
I don't think you'd have a problem. Montana is pretty accepting of everyone.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 27,591 times
There are a few places I would check with: MSU www.montana.edu/ (montana state university) in Bozeman is a great start and good place to live. Interacial doesn't seem to be an issue in the bigger communities. I would also suggest checking out Print For Less, Color Printing of Brochures Postcards Catalogs and Stationery which is an online printing company which is based out of Livingston (23 miles east of Bozeman). This company has excellent benefit packages and is growing rapidly. In Missoula you have the University of Montana ,www.umt.edu/ , and even though Missoula has grown drastically over the last 20 years (i was born and raised 4 generations in missoula) the job market is more competitive than many areas in Montana. Good luck....the saying is "We work hard, sometimes at more than one job, to enjoy God's Country. It's not the jobs or the pay that we stay for.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,020,147 times
Quote:

thanks
My folks moved down your way to escape the winters up here! (and to reconnect with family) I've got lots of family in the Texas hill country. I love that area. (During the winter... I'm a rocky mountain boy and it gets too dang hot for me in the summer time down there!)
Just this past Christmas I toured my great-great grandfathers homestead down there, outside Kerrville. In the same trip my son saw his first ocean out on Padre Island, that meant a lot to Grandma and Grandpa!

MSU (Bozeman) is probably the most technical school in MT when it comes to computer technology and engineering. Housing costs are still way too high, but there are ways to avoid that if you don't mind a commute and can get used to winter driving. (I know that things shut down when a bit of snow hits down there... Not the same up this way!)

Don't worry about an interracial marriage in Bozeman and most of the large towns in Western Montana. There are a few jerks, but no more than you would see in South Texas by a long shot. I'm sure you would get along just fine.

PM me for more information if you would like.

-TW-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>